ASpicyPepperKid

Do you know that mice prefer peanut butter over chesse

Rabbits, Mice, and Rats all have something the same besides they are rodents they are all improperly stereotyped. Rabbits prefer a lot more stuff over Carrots. Mice and Rats prefer peanut butter over cheese. So instead of cheese put peanut butter on your mouse traps it worked fast for me and my dad. l:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I always used PB because it sticks to the trap, and it's harder to get off, so that triggers the trap.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Nothing works for me in traps. Peanut butter, cheese, chocolate...it either gets ignored or licked off. I have a lot of mice and/or rats around the house and traps usually fail.

applestar
Mod

Peanut butter does work well. I also read on pest management sites that they like chocolate. So in searching for cheap peanut butter, I settled on Halloween leftover reese’s peanut butter cups :twisted:

Recently, I also had success scraping the last of nutella from a jar that had been ignored too long, then no body wanted to eat it any more (especially since nutella is not kept refrigerated) — I’m keeping that jar with my gardening tools now to use up as needed.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:53 am
Nothing works for me in traps. Peanut butter, cheese, chocolate...it either gets ignored or licked off. I have a lot of mice and/or rats around the house and traps usually fail.
Sounds like some new traps are in order. My old style ones didn't do the job. As soon as they were replaced the mouse population was cleared out. And peanut butter has been the bait of choice forever.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I would never waste chocolate on them. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

Peanut butter works on ants as well. Peanut butter regular has sugar and fat. The fat attracts the grease ants. Sugar attracts the other ants. My mice prefer corn, so I use a corn seed in the trap. I know that works because I caught the mouse digging up and eating all the seeds I planted (for the second time) the day before. Only, the trap did not spring. I asked my neighbor why. He said it was because I used a rat trap not a mouse trap. I got the mouse trap and reset it and caught the mouse that afternoon. It also helps if you know the path the mice take to make sure the trap is in their path. I usually don't have to do this. I have cats, but they don't go outside. I tried cheese and bread, but if the bait is too big, they just eat around it and don't spring the trap.

I know someone who said he used shrimp as bait, but the rats did not take it, but kept climbing his tree to eat fruit. I told him the rats like fruit, not shrimp, use fruit as bait and put a metal collar on the tree so the rats can't climb it.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I've used Reese's peanut butter cups to as bait but like @pepperhead said, why waste good chocolate on nasty mice??? But, I recently acquired some chocolate peanut butter powder perhaps that I wonder if it would work? How about bird seed?

Glue traps are out of the question, and those black plastic snapping things scare me. The wooden ones are the ones I prefer to use. A live trap would be nice but I'd hate to drive off somewhere just to dump off a mouse.

Somebody said the smell of mint is supposed to deter mice but idk if that really works. Killing a pest is easier and quicker to do than to keep deterring it. I'd love to wrap my hands around that stupid rabbit that is still somehow managing to squeeze in my backyard through a mysterious and unknown entrance. After my last haircut I sprinkled my hair along the fenceline. If it worked, it didn't work for long. I leave a trap out some nights but I never know what to use for bait. I don't feel that a wild rabbit would want a cold carrot from the fridge. But unless I sit outside all night with a gun I have no idea how to get rid of the stinking thing. There is chicken wire along the bottom of the fence and there are no holes in the fence or under the fence so I have absolutely no idea where it's coming in. Excess poop stays scattered in the yard, that rabbit must have bathroom issues. I want that thing dead as a doornail!!!

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I use a live trap in the house, and drive the critters intro the woods about a mile away. Peanut butter is a good bait, but messy. I find they will go for a couple of oatmeal flakes. In fact I suspect they would even explore an un-baited trap. Occasionally one will be crafty enough to scarf the oatmeal (repeatedly) without triggering the trap. When that happens I 'glue' a piece to the trigger using PNB (Peanut butter).

ASpicyPepperKid

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:53 am
If mice traps or rat traps don't work and if you can and have the time and resources cats worked for me and my family.

RASelkirk

Don't know about mice, but squirrels just did $1k damage to our car which resides in a carport. I have zero sympathy for the little devils and will take whatever action is required to remove them permanently from my property.

Russ

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

RASelkirk wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:40 pm
Don't know about mice, but squirrels just did $1k damage to our car which resides in a carport. I have zero sympathy for the little devils and will take whatever action is required to remove them permanently from my property.

Russ
Why the nasty critters!! If solar powered noise makers fail, try live traps. I think I had flying squirrels living up in the attic for a time. But I haven't seen or heard them lately. Somebody told me one time that squirrels don't like the smell of coffee grinds.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”