applestar
Mod

Skill and Artistry in “everyday” jobs

In our neighborhood, we’re seeing some of the state and local funding that they’d been talking about over the past year, trickling down to immediately appreciable level.

The county and municipal folks are implementing roads and streets repairs/improvements, and concrete workers are on our street replacing tree-root raised and/or weather damaged sidewalks, curbs and driveway aprons.

They even removed a large, nearly dead street tree and replaced sidewalks near our driveway… for which we had previously been told we would have to pay half of the cost and had still been unable to reach a decision.

I’ve been watching them work, and these rough looking guys in dirt and concrete dust streaked work gear are carefully touching up the concrete into evenness and smoothness with care that reminds me of a patissier decorating a masterpiece cake, and the most senior and supervisory-looking, serious-looking guys are delicately going back over and marking the dividing creases across and along the edges, fixing dings and dimples on the surface and in the joints, transition of the surfaces to the adjoining sidewalk, etc. that are invisible to my eyes … with care and focus that I’m pretty sure I do not possess (I’m likely to say “meh, that’s good enough!” :oops: )

It really struck me that they are like sculptors. I had been similarly impressed in the past when watching dental surgeons carefully sculpting teeth repairs.

…p.s. Oh, I forgot to mention — it was 20°F out there when they started working this morning at 7AM :shock: They had better conditions last week when it had been warmer with overnights in the 40’s and 50’s….

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”