digitS'
Super Green Thumb

What Movies?

Screenshot_20201223-071320_kindlephoto-72739758.png
What movies are you looking forward to seeing over the holidays?

Steve

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Lately I've been watching my favorite Hallmark movie series. Also I saw The Most Wonderful Time of the Year with Henry Winkler. Was so cute and funny! Also watched Cookie Cutter Christmas with Erin Krakow.
(I know you're probably talking about old classics, but I haven't seen an old classic Christmas movie in years.) As a tradition, I would like to see a Charlie Brown Christmas as I grew up with that. I wish some movie company would consider a realistic looking remake of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. But not make it stupid or anything full of rude humor or bad language just to attract the young generation. A lot of people don't like seeing their old classic favorites getting trashed in live remakes. That's why the Lion King remake got criticized so much: it lacked so much of the right stuff.
Anyway, I'm actually not a very huge fan of seasonal movies anyway.
But I used to watch Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman every year on TV when I was growing up. I brought Frosty up to my Mom sometime not long ago. She said she always cried when he melted. I was like, he does come back! šŸ˜†

imafan26
Mod

Actually, I haven't watched any Christmas movies yet. I'm still working on what I am going to have for Christmas dinner. I haven't decided that either. This Christmas is whizzing by so fast and like Rip Van Winkle, I have almost missed it all.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

We always like to watch The Bishop's Wife.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

This Christmas is whizzing by so fast and like Rip Van Winkle, I have almost missed it all.
[/quote]

Ah, it's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels that time is flying! O:)

applestar
Mod

We watched Wonder Woman 1984 (... is that considered a Christmas movie? :> ) :clap:

Like with a lot of recent movies ā€” Donā€™t "leave" before the credits are finished rolling. :wink:

webmaster
Site Admin

We watched It's a Wonderful Life! Still a great movie.

How'd you like Wonder Woman? Some people are loving it some people are not. Really strange to see such polarized opinions for a movie, usually there's a consensus.

imafan26
Mod

I did not watch any Christmas movies. Instead since it has been raining pretty much the last 2 days, I binged watched the Chinese web drama, The Wolf, with subtitles. I am getting better, there were a couple of sentences I actually understood and a few kanji I recognize. It has a sad ending, but it is a good ending since the main characters live and die together.

applestar
Mod

webmaster wrote: ā†‘
Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:47 pm
How'd you like Wonder Woman? Some people are loving it some people are not. Really strange to see such polarized opinions for a movie, usually there's a consensus.
Weā€™re superhero fans here ā€” one of the things hubby and I have in common we realized very early on was ALL the TV shows and movies we used to watch as kids ā€” including Japanese imports like Ultraman and Astro Boy, Speed Racer, even Kimba the White Lion (Jungle Emperor Leo), etc. He even knew about some that I wasnā€™t aware had been imported here. The names and titles were sometimes completely different, but we figured them out by comparing characters and super-powers.... :D

...then thereā€™s fact that itā€™s Hubby, me and our two daughters...

So yep, we liked it. DDs reacted with ā€œfeelsā€, they clapped at the end as if we were at the movie theater, DH and I both exclaimed at the end credits ā€œEaster Eggā€ and had to explain why to the girls.

ā€”- eta 12/28 -ā€” No specifics but some might think following could be a spoiler. And yeah I hate spoilers.
:
:
{ready?}
:
:
Hah. I had an interesting review discussion about WWā€™84 With DH this morning. He said heā€™s heard complaints that the CGI for this one was ā€œlessā€ but he preferred it because all the CGI in the recent flicks have become ā€œtoo muchā€ ā€” The first Wonder Woman and the Justice League one with all the CGI stuff like ā€œvideo games on big screenā€ ā€” and detracted from the movie itself. He said this one was ā€œdifferentā€ and he thought it was, in a way, more of a ā€œchick flickā€

Which I thought was REALLY interesting and to the point ā€”because my ā€œtakeā€ on this one was that those previous ones were about her discovering how physically strong she was ā€” in Wonder Woman, she fought against ā€œa godā€, and then in Justice League, her physical strength was on display in comparison to each of the other members ... but *something special about her* was revealed in the end. In THIS one, they explored that *specialness* some more ... not only her physical strength but her HEART ā€” growth and development in her ethical and moral strengths. Leadership qualities.
Last edited by applestar on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional WWā€™84 review

webmaster
Site Admin

I'm looking forward to watching it!
I grew up watching Kimba and Speed Racer, too. I also recall watching the 1960's Spiderman and King Kong animated series as well.

My daughter recently introduced us to an anime on Netflix called The Promised Neverland. It's on Netflix and maybe Hulu. It has a great story that continually surprised us with its narrative twists and turns.

Don't watch the trailers though because there are lots of spoilers in it!

applestar
Mod

...ah, we donā€™t have Netflix. It was under consideration until the adaptation of Asimovā€˜s Foundation was announced. (discovered SciFi as a genre probably in middle school ā€” Isaac Asimov was one of my FIRST fascination and I probably read practically all of his more famous SciFi short stories and novels from middle school library, township library, and high school library ā€” and bought them all after joining Sci Fi book of the month club once I had a regular income.... :wink: I am SO hoping for a really good interpretation of the original work. They finally ā€œgot it rightā€ for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings ā€” not sci-fi, I know, but another one (yes this is singular) of my faves that harks all the way back to high school ā€” so maybe this one, too.)

We didnā€™t do a whole lot for Christmas this year individually, but one that we got for the whole family was access to HBO Max. So, we watched Wonder Woman ā€˜84.... and now, while we wait for Foundation to start, I will be binge-watching the Studio Ghibli ā€œchannelā€ ...Started with Spirited Away. LOVE that I can readily watch both the original Japanese audio as well as the English dub

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I never plan to watch that yucky Wonder Woman. There is no beating the original shows, as dorky as they were. Modern movies made after good old stuff are trashed with sex, and horrible language.

But Kimba the White Lion... I've heard of that. Isn't it's storyline made up like the Lion King?

applestar
Mod

In that case, I highly recommend the Studio Ghibli works. You can rent them from the public library and inter-library loan, among other sources. (We used to, when my DDā€™s were younger). ...oh! Princess Mononoke is a bit bloody/gory ā€” I have to be in right frame of mind to watch it. It might not be suitable on religious grounds, too? Huh. There IS a lot of basis/background in ancestral spirits and guardian spirits in many of their works. Maybe I should take it back bout recommending these...?

The artwork is superb, innocence of children, honesty and earnest will to do good.... Fundamental questions about what is good vs. greed, superb indifference of natural forces vs. hubris of humans.....

...Iā€™m excited to see some titles that we havenā€™t seen/not available back then, as well as the newer projects among the line up. :D

I cannot resist mentioning that Jungle Emperor Leo (translation of original title which was re-branded as Kimba the White Lion) was based on original manga series from 1950ā€™s and made into B&W anime in 1960ā€™s before being imported here also in the ā€˜60ā€™s ... so *strictly speaking* Lion King came AFTER. :>

ā€” I remember it as somewhat like ā€œTarzan, King of the Jungleā€ from the animalsā€™ POV ā€” protecting the animals of the jungle from the poachers and greedy men that were destroying the environment ... special friendships between *good* humans and the animals who are normally/sometimes enemies or predator and prey, overcoming difficulties and nearly impossible obstacles by working together under the wise leadership of Leo who was often running to save the day.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Whoa, it makes me wonder if Disney truly stole the Lion King's story from Kimba even though they say it's an original creation using the Biblical stories of Moses and Shakespeare's Hamlet.

applestar
Mod

Just finished re-watching Studio Ghibli classic ā€” NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind. Highly recommended. :D

webmaster
Site Admin

I'm going to put NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind on my library rental list. Thanks for reminding me of it! :)

Dissily Mordentroge

Iā€™ll be returning to the original St Trinianā€™s films, maybe even knocking out the school theme song on my piano.
Attachments
trin5.jpeg
Last edited by Dissily Mordentroge on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Watched Dead Poets Society again. What a movie; inspiring, tragic, & potentially (?)didactic. Tailor made for Robin Williams. What a shame he's no longer with us.

Dissily Mordentroge

Amazing movie although Iā€™m not so sure the moral was hidden, if thatā€™s what didactic means. I miss him too but not when he was on Cocaine. Like so many who snort the stuff he could talk the leg off an iron pot without anyone else getting a word in.
There were a lot of unkind rumours about his death but the truth is heā€™d been diagnosed a number of times with Lewy disease of the brain described by several doctors as among the worst pathologies they'd seen. Early symptoms of his disease included a sudden and prolonged spike in fear and anxiety, stress and insomnia, which worsened in severity to include memory loss, paranoia, and delusions. According to Schneider, "Robin was losing his mind and he was aware of it ... He kept saying, 'I just want to reboot my brain'

We still have the best part of him to replay though.

applestar
Mod

Just watched Spider-verse Multiverse - cable, w/ adā€™s - for family movie night. Really enjoyed it, but Iā€™m going to have to watch it again. Showing my age ā€” these newer movies for younger target audience have too many fast-moving elements and I canā€™t follow them all.... :roll:

webmaster
Site Admin

The animated one? I love that movie! I tried to get my wife to watch it be she thinks it's a kids movie because it's animated and American.

If it's Japanese then she'll watch it, like The Promised Neverland on Netflix.

Chillie6

Looking forward to be able to go back to the cinema to watch any movie. Seems so long ago.

applestar
Mod

We had a ā€œspontaneousā€ Family movie night yesterday ā€” this is not exactly a movie, but we binge-watched all episodes of WandaVision in one sitting. :()

Weā€™d been waiting for a chance to watch this together on regular basis, but havenā€™t been able to. So when younger DD asked if we could start watching it, and the timing worked out for us to sit together, we started yesterday late afternoon... and it was so gripping that we ended up watching it through to the finale.

I donā€™t like spoilers, and had been avoiding any hint, so I had no idea what it was all about ā€” pretty confusing for the first couple of episodes. It was interesting... and saying something about me (in a good way) ... that I didnā€™t have a realization about how appropriately applicable it was to the last 12+ months until this morning. Iā€™m glad, too, that we didnā€™t get to watch it until now. I think the delay made it possible for me to appreciate it more. (LOL WAS THAT SUFFICIENTLY VAGUE AND NON-SPOILER?)

OTHER SERIES ā€”
...DH, DD1, and I are also watching Snow Piercer together
...DD1, DD2, and are are watching RWBY together
...DH and I are watching Resident Alien SEPARATELY, but discuss after weā€™re both caught up to the same episode. :wink:

webmaster
Site Admin

we binge-watched all episodes of WandaVision in one sitting.
Wow! I liked it but I had to go to Screenrant after every episode to get filled in on the nerd details to get the full understanding of who all the different people are, lol.

My wife and I watched a movie on Netflix called, It's for Your Own Good. It's about three dads, a guy and his two brother in laws, whose daughters are dating losers and they set out to get rid of them. So hilarious!

I watched the Snyder Cut Justice League and thought it was wonderful. David Lynch has said that something that's missing in modern movies is slowness. And I think Justice League has some of that where it stops and let's a scene play out wordlessly to communicate the sto

Return to ā€œNon-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Fooā€