Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Re: Complaints about modern "design"

Web page designers seem to be especially stupid. In pursuit of some sort of minimalism (why?) they have replaced text menus with tiny symbols that - even if one finds them and can make them out - give little clue as to what they represent. Who came up with the stupid idea that a so-called 'ellipse' - a little stack of short lines or dots somewhere on the page - once it's discovered, is a user friendly way of indicating that there are options? And as far as design incompetence goes that's just the very tip of the iceberg ....

webmaster
Site Admin

The stack of three lines is called a Hamburger Menu. I understand what you mean about it.

On a related note, I know of a site owner who told their designer to put a hamburger menu in the corner and they literally put an image of a hamburger that when clicked revealed the menu.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:05 pm
On a related note, I know of a site owner who told their designer to put a hamburger menu in the corner and they literally put an image of a hamburger that when clicked revealed the menu.
That's pretty funny but I hope they changed it :).

But what about this miniscule item on the Helpful Gardener website -
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-2.png (1.23 KiB) Viewed 427 times

webmaster
Site Admin

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:26 pm
But what about this miniscule item on the Helpful Gardener website -

Yeahhhhhhh... I was never happy with that. I'm going to change those icons to actual images and use something like an envelope instead of an "in-box" and I'm not sure what to use for NOTIFICATIONS.

But I know they need to change, you'll get no argument from me on that point. :D

I've been making a LOT of improvements to the forum this year. Like the home page is neater and less cluttered. I've done a lot beneath the hood as well to speed up the site.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”