TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

502 Gateway issue on forum from tablet!

I'm not able to get on the forum from my tablet anymore!! I can pull up the forum, but I cannot view the topics, I get this ugly, stinking message!!

Webmaster, any clues?
Attachments
IMG_20200829_122933.jpg

webmaster
Site Admin

When was the last time you got that?

I've seen that but only very late at night EST.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

The gateway thing showed up a couple of days ago. I never had an issue with it before. It is preventing me from getting on the forum from my tablet. Not a problem on my phone.

It's not just a night thing, it's blocking me all day. I just don't know what's causing it.

applestar
Mod

I had no idea what that is either, but like they say Google is your friend —

I searched for “Nginx 502 bad gateway error” and bunch of results returned. One of them must apply to your situation. You said tablet, but one that caught my eye was this one for example —
How do I fix 502 bad gateway on Iphone?
To fix this issue All you have to do is Just Restart your browser or Refresh your website page by essentially tapping on the Refresh button. Or on the other hand, to restart your browser you simply close the present browser and revive it after some time.Mar 3, 2020

How To resolve a 502 bad gateway error? - Apple Community
One common cure-all for what ails your device is to fully power off, give it a couple of minutes, then power on. I don;t know if this particular case would be related, but that’s one thing you almost always want to try (if you haven’t already)

webmaster
Site Admin

I'm looking into it. Thanks for reporting it!
:)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

OH...so that must be why I cannot come here sometimes. I though maybe forum was down for maintenance. I am having computer trouble anyway so I thought is was my computer. I reboot computer, refresh several times, took computer apart cleaned out dust so CPU is not over heating, still I can not come here sometimes. Maybe computer RAM has gone bad. I have no problem with other forums. But I still have trouble with this computer it sometimes locks up every 10 minutes, I do a forced shut down get computer running again & it does good for a while then slower and slower until it is locked up again.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I'm on my tablet now! Gateway seems to be gone!!! Thank you, webmaster!!! 😊

webmaster
Site Admin

I spent hours researching this last night and made some changes.

There still might be one more thing I need to do.

But overall, site should be performing faster and more resilient against bad bots now.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:38 pm
I spent hours researching this last night and made some changes.

There still might be one more thing I need to do.

But overall, site should be performing faster and more resilient against bad bots now.
Webmaster, I still seem to be having issues on trying to click on some of the posts here on the forum because of the crummy gateway. I just tried to look at the Pack Man broccoli post and the gateway blocked me. Strange, it's not doing it on every post I try to look at, but it's not completely gone for me.

webmaster
Site Admin

Okay, I will give it another look.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:51 am
Okay, I will give it another look.
Thank you, I cannot look at my own Artwork thread on my tablet due to the crummy Gateway.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

The Gateway is still blocking me from viewing new threads. Gary posted a thread last night and I couldn't view it.

webmaster
Site Admin

I haven't had that happen to me. But I did see some other kind of related issue.

Are you on a VPN by any chance?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

No. The Gateway is only being an issue on my tablet and not my phone. I'm on my tablet right now, and the ugly gateway is blocking me from viewing the 'dry unused dirt' thread I posted yesterday evening from my tablet.

The Gateway does not block me when I view the forum from my phone. It's very annoying as I prefer to see the forum on my tablets larger screen than my little phone.

webmaster
Site Admin

If the error was coming from our server you'd see it on both devices, not one. I'm not ruling out that it's not our server but it seems that there might be something to the tablet.

What browser are you using on your tablet? You can PM me if you want.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

What I do is go through the Google bar on my tablet to pull up the link to the forum on my tablet. The gateway has never been an issue before. It was worse than it is now before you fixed it, but the gateway is still blocking me from viewing newly posted threads.

As for a server, I really don't know. I cannot afford any kind of endless high speed internet. I connect my tablet to the hotspot off my phone. My phone is a cheap, prepaid thing. It's all I can afford in my low budget.

webmaster
Site Admin

Maybe you might need to create a new bookmark.
Try going to the regular Google search page.
Searching for gardening forum
Scroll down to find Helpful Gardener, then click through.

Once on the forum create a new bookmark.

Give that a try and let me know if that solves the problem on your tablet.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I don't know how to mess with the bookmarks, what I do is click on my notifications when someone replies to a thread I'm watching, or I click on new posts in the box on the forum home. The issue is the gateway is blocking me from viewing newly posted threads. I can see old ones, but like my 'dry unused dirt' thread that I recently posted from my tablet, the gateway blocks me from viewing the responses.

webmaster
Site Admin

It's not a gateway or gate that's blocking you. It's very likely your browser is loading a cached copy of that 502 error code.

If it's just happening in your tablet, then it's something to do with your tablet browser.

You mentioned you go through your "Google bar" which I take to mean it's a bookmark. If that's what it is, delete that bookmark (right click it, choose delete). Then navigate to our site and bookmark it again.

Copy this URL and paste it into your browser address bar

Code: Select all

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/
If that doesn't work click the three dots in the top right hand corner (if you're on Chrome) and go to settings and delete your cache.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I see this occasionally on both my phone and tablet. I just saw it on the phone, but got in on the tablet; sometimes visa-versa.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so here's the route I take to open the forum. My pictures should be in order from when I tap on my Google bar, tap on the 'forum' button on my browsing history, tap on the link to the forum, tap on the gardening forum on the Helpful Gardener menu and voila, the forum. And I tried to open Gary's cabbage thread, but because it was new, the gateway blocked me.
Attachments
IMG_20200925_163345.jpg
IMG_20200925_163404.jpg
IMG_20200925_163522.jpg
IMG_20200925_163629.jpg
IMG_20200925_163652.jpg
IMG_20200925_163720.jpg
IMG_20200925_163744.jpg

webmaster
Site Admin

TomatoNut95

I did a little research on an error I saw and updated a few settings.

Let me know if you're still getting those errors.

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to explain this to me! :D

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:04 pm
TomatoNut95

I did a little research on an error I saw and updated a few settings.

Let me know if you're still getting those errors.

Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to explain this to me! :D
You're welcome but the gateway is still there on my tablet. :( Guess I'll just have to put up with it, but now I'm having an issue on BOTH my phone and tablet, a GIANT ad is blocking the new posts box, ad is so huge its behind the seed discussion forums.
Attachments
IMG_20200926_173055.jpg

webmaster
Site Admin

I'm going to be making more changes.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Trying to log in this morning on my laptop I got a "Bad Gateway" message for the first time.

I went into my cookies file and found 40 or 50 new ones. Deleted the ones I didn't want or recognize. I was then able to log in normally.

I usually have cookies turned off. If a page won't run without them I enable them and reload the page. When I'm done with it (usually, if I don't forget!) I delete any new/unwanted cookies and once again disable cookie acceptance.

webmaster
Site Admin

Thanks. I'll dig in to see what caused that.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I will never understand what cookies are except for the ones I just ate.... Lol!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

502 Gateway issue is not usually a problem for me but many times yesterday I could not come here. Then after I was here the forum loaded so slow I left for 5 minutes when I returned it was still trying to load. I closed the garden forum then went several other places they all work good. Things seem to be working good today.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I had trouble getting in here even on my PC - I felt like I was on that dial-up thing I had in the early days! I just went on something else, while this took 3 or 4 minutes, then went back. And it took even longer to make a post - I was surprised that it worked, when I went back. Now, on my tablet I got on immediately - first time that happened in a few days.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I feel as if I'm in the "Me Too" movement but - Me Too! The site and its pages are loading so slowly it sometimes fails completely and I get a 'TImed out' notice.

Thanks, Pepperhead, for posting about it. Now I know the problem is not with my laptop or service provider.

webmaster
Site Admin

Okay. I changed something. I'll change it back.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:17 pm
Okay. I changed something. I'll change it back.
Big improvement here; thanks, Webby.

webmaster
Site Admin

Well, don't applaud just yet. This thing is intermittent. It seems to happen when I get slammed on the non-forum side of the website.

Crossing my fingers.

webmaster
Site Admin

Cycling through several more settings!
This setting seems to be the best so far.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Now it's loading almost immediately, and I'll see how this posts.

It posted almost immediately too, so you did something right, webmaster!

webmaster
Site Admin

Well, I was still getting errors on the other part of the site. So I just did something else. :shock:
I need both parts of the site working well.

Not looking so well at the moment. Ugh...

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

The gateway was bad today, I couldn't view any threads from my tablet! Tried to view pepperheads and imafans garden threads but gateway made me mad.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”