TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

CALLING WEBMASTER: PHOTO PROBLEM!!

Something's wrong, it won't let me upload photos on my thread! Gary must be having the same problem! Can this problem be fixed, I hope?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q2S8wEsTYRcVjNsn7

I tried, but all it let me do was post a link. But that's normal for my phone, even with flickr.
Image3 lettuces, a bok choy, and 3 red streaked mizuna in the middle, 2-22-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And now flickr still works.

webmaster
Site Admin

How to share images to Flickr.
PART 1
PART 1
how-to-share-flickr-1.png (6.44 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
PART 2
PART 2
PART 3
PART 3
PART 4
PART 4
how-to-share-flickr-4.png (11.16 KiB) Viewed 1919 times
PART 5
PART 5

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I wonder if the acceptable 'bandwidth' on some part of the system has been used up? Maybe members could/should be a bit more restrained in their posting of photos? Personally I don't use flickr etc and rarely include pictures but I'd like to see the forum keep on directly accepting them even if it had to be at a reduced rate.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I don't use Flickr either and don't plan on it. If I cannot upload photos anymore the regular, easier way, then I plan to leave the forum. It'd be no fun to be able to share photos. Is there a way that really old photos and threads on this forum could be cleaned up to help any?

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:I don't use Flickr either and don't plan on it. If I cannot upload photos anymore the regular, easier way, then I plan to leave the forum. It'd be no fun to be able to share photos. Is there a way that really old photos and threads on this forum could be cleaned up to help any?
It seems a bit odd. I've logged into some old threads and found that the photos were "no longer available." Has the system that would remove excess images stopped working? Also it appears that Webmaster successfully included 5 images in the post above - ? (And offered no enlightenment about the current problem others are having.)

I agree that the ability to post photos is valuable, even necessary; but also that it can be carried to excess.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Webmaster probably used whatever that Flickr is to upload those pictures. You're right, he didn't seem to help much on seeing if this photo problem can be fixed so we can upload pics normally again.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:Webmaster probably used whatever that Flickr is to upload those pictures. You're right, he didn't seem to help much on seeing if this photo problem can be fixed so we can upload pics normally again.
Running this forum probably cost money. It also probably requires a lot of time. Maybe software can be set so pictures time out and auto delete after a certain length of time like 2 years or less. I use to upload photos to Facebook then copy and paste them here but no one can see my pictures unless they are members of Facebook. I posted photos on Photo bucket before Facebook but photo bucket started charging money for me to see my own pictures, they want $$$ to upload more photos, edit photos cost $$$ and it cost money to delete photos it also cost $$$ for other people to see my photos so I abandon Photo Bucket. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I am just about fed up with, TV, internet, computer, it is wasting my life away time to do things like I once did 25 years ago. When people need help, what are these bugs on my plants, why do my leaves look like this, the only way to help is pictures. I even upload picture to a craigslist AD to copy & paste photos here but photos auto delete in about 6 weeks. I see I can create a category on Facebook, Garden to upload photos to copy and paste here but still no one can see photos unless they are member of Facebook. I have not tried Flickr yet I don't have enough interest anymore to care. I even lost interest talking to people on the other forums and facebook. I'm tried of setting at the computer.

This morning we are off to a very large flea market 27 mile drive to another town.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Many of the really old photos that don't appear are probably ones that were on Photobucket, which dropped everyone from them when they stopped the free stuff, and those people wouldn't pay.

webmaster
Site Admin

Pepperhead's problem was in understanding how to show an image in Flickr. I posted a tutorial on how to do that.

The tutorial itself contains images that I uploaded. So that's proof that there's plenty of room on the server to accommodate images.

Here is a link to a tutorial I created on how to upload images:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3724

As someone else mentioned, Photobucket has been restricting the use of their service. Some images previously shared from Photobucket won't show. That's not particular to this forum, it's happening everywhere.

Why do people have trouble uploading photos?
The number one reason why people have trouble uploading photos is because their photos are too big. Always shrink your image before uploading!

In the past I already updated the allowed size to over 4 megabytes to accommodate members who want to upload images straight from their cell phones. That's huge.

And those HUGE images sizes are also a poor user experience for your fellow forum members because it can cause a page to take minutes to download. That means that less people will see your HUGE image because most people don't want to sit around and wait for a gigantic image to download.

The site has a lot of room, but I think for consideration of people who visit on mobile phones or are on slower DSL connections, it's probably more considerate to shrink down the size of the image.

Cell phones today are able to create images with rich details, particularly iPhones. But those images have a huge image size. Those sizes are meant for PRINT and not for Web display.

Here's an image that is 193 kilobytes, that's a fraction of what your average cell phone image creates. Yet it has all the rich detail needed for display on the web.
photo_2019-06-08_13-47-07.jpg
Note: Before shrinking a photo, if you want to keep the original size, make a copy of the photo and then shrink the copy!

How to shrink a photo with an Apple device
If you are on an Apple device, you already have a powerful photo editor called Photos. Here is an article that teaches you how to use your built-in photo editor to shrink the photos before uploading.

How to shrink a photo with a Windows computer
If you are on a Windows computer then you also already have native photo editing software.

Shrink photos with your camera software
Chances are that the software that came with your camera also has a photo editing function. So please use your photo editor and shrink your photos before uploading! :)

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

@Gary, I totally agree with you. The internet stinks. People are so obsessed with it it's sad.

I don't do Photo Bucket, whatever that is, and I certainly do not do stupid Facebook. Maybe I should put my face on Facebook, then Facebook would shut down!! Ha-ha!
I only use my phone now to get on the forum. My phone is by no means fancy, it is a Tracphone because that is all I can afford. Besides, I don't care to have an expensive fancy shmancy phone anyway.

If I cannot upload photos the easy way I used to on my phone, then good-bye forum. I'm not going to go to a bunch of trouble to upload pics if the webmaster cannot correct whatever's wrong.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Thanks, webmaster for all of that. Stupidly (who, me?) I din't try posting a photo myself before theorising vaguely about why others might be having trouble.
MistyLadderSmall.jpg
MistyLadderSmall.jpg (16.65 KiB) Viewed 1901 times
Evidently it's working OK .....

ETA: This is one of the few forums on the internet that doesn't largely 'stink.'

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Glad it's all figured out.
I do a copy/paste from my website then for the images do a copy link location click on img tags then paste the link in between the image tags.

As far as the internet sucks I would have to totally disagree with that.
I think it's an extremely valuable tool.
Just 15 minutes ago I was able to fix a plumbing problem by getting the proper part within an hour, just from my phone, also was able to go on line find a part for a microwave that was 10 years old and order that.
This was for my aging next for neighbor.

Just scrapped a car on line earlier this morning.

As far as pictures go, I have found that most forum members would rather see a picture with a quick blurb as opposed to an article about something, and 9 out of 10 times, the forum members would say, "post a picture"
As far as posting too many pictures, that's subjective but if an individual has an ongoing progress thread, I say the more pics the better.
I find the photos help me and give me ideas, like something as simple as how something may have been constructed.
I often go back to folks ongoing threads for reference.

As of late, I have been trying to edit photos with a description in the photo that way I hopefully won't bore people with a whole lot of verbage.
Just my 2 cents!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I guess I will sign up for Flickr.

TomatoNut95, copy and paste is very easy. Click a picture then click copy. Then click forum page then click paste. Easy

After about 40 tries I finally got it figured out. I uploaded this picture to Craigslist they automatically resize all pictures. I don't have a way to resize pictures on my computer if I do I have no clue how to do it.

After putting the picture on CL AD click finish then check the AD then copy the picture off CL to my computer. Then I put the smaller picture on FB = Facebook. Then I clicked the FB picture it gets bigger. Click picture then click option to copy the picture url. Then I come to garden forum click green box that says Img, then click paste picture, then click submit. If your not on FB you won't be able to see the picture I uploaded.

I don't have any software to change the size of pictures. I have always used CL it is automatic. Upload pic to CL save then copy the picture. LOL

This should work with Flickr. Resize picture on CL. Upload smaller picture to Flickr. Copy & Paste pic to garden forum using the green button that says Img

When I put mouse pointer on the picture it shows me picture size 600 x 434. Do not click picture just put mouse pointer on picture wait 2 second size pops up.

Can you see this picture? I copied it from a pop up advertisement. Cut a hole in Styrofoam board, put seed in cotton ball poke it in hole, float Styrofoam board in pan of water, plants grow with no soil. I have seen this done in 20 acre green house in Chicago. Water has fertilizer.

Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:42 am, edited 30 times in total.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

SQWIB wrote:Glad it's all figured out.
Hmmm, dunno. I've been trying to upload a photo that's only 292 kB and I get the message:

"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached"
Attachments
Screenshot-5.png

told2b

After reading I had to try posting
Attachments
2020 Logo.jpg

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:Hmmm, dunno. I've been trying to upload a photo that's only 292 kB ......
Trying again with the same picture and it seems to be working; but why did I get the previous error message for such a small attachment, although a bigger one had recently been accepted? It seems forum behavior has gone inconsistent. What IS the acceptable file size for an attachment?
Not everyone uses a cellphone for photography
Not everyone uses a cellphone for photography
The procedure for posting pictures is far from intuitive for the less techy among us.. Not difficult but not easy for everyone to figure out. Seems to me that some 'users manual' for the forum (not just about images) is missing - or haven't I found it? I like the forum very much so I won't be threatening to leave :).

webmaster
Site Admin

Thanks for the feedback. I did some maintenance and I think things should be on track now.

Please let me know if it's still not working!

:D

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Here's one that's about 2.7 mB: .......
Do you think he fell ..? Silly chap!
Do you think he fell ..? Silly chap!
..... And it worked!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I signed up 4 Flickr at Flickr.com it took 3 minutes. I saved to menu so I can return with 2 mouse clicks in 3 seconds.

OH WOW this garden chair pic is very large. I used CL to resize my pic from 2148x2134 to 600x449 it took 30 seconds. Upload 2 CL 2 resize it.. Copy & paste here OK it works 1 can see it but no 1 else can unless you are on FB. Soon as I have garden pics I will use Flickr

Make a for sale AD on CL put your living room sofa for sale $9000 so no one will buy it then it is very quick to upload 8 pics to sofa AD save then copy to computer, copy flickr, paste here. Only 4 clicks finished in a few seconds.

Be sure to save, CL, Flickr, garden forum, to menu this makes it very fast to click several times to resize pics, copy & paste to Flickr, copy & paste here.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Hey, I think it's working!! :-()
Attachments
IMG_20200302_155628.jpg

webmaster
Site Admin

I'm relieved that it's working for you. :)

Thanks for calling my attention to it!
;)

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Oh, thank-you so much for fixing it! :wink: I'd give you a big hug if I could!

Qmavam
Newly Registered

I have had no luck posting photos. So, here I try again. I went to attachments, clicked on add files, double clicked the piicture file icon. it loads into the light blue rectangle under the black bar the has Filename, File Comment, Size and status in it,
BTW, size is 1.7MB and status is X. Now it seems loke there would be one more step to insert the file into the post, I don't see anything.
So maybe submit. So I'll do that, if there is no picture, please give me guidance. I ask this on the thread made specifically for garden picture and got zero response.
Mikek
Edit: no picture, Please help

applestar
Mod

My answer may not help — I use an iPad/iOS. When I get to the gallery of photos, I tap on pic(s) and a checkmark appears on it. (I tap on file size at bottom of the photo gallery if my image is too big to change it) Then I tap “Done” which appears on top right of pop-up window.

(Tap/click) on "place inline" if you want picture to be embedded as part of text instead of as "attachment" at the bottom (Cut-Paste resulting code to place anywhere you want in your message.)
Attachments
74419E0D-E2C9-41DE-A6A7-A04C842186AF.jpeg

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Here's my procedure, on a linux laptop. Windows should be pretty much the same (?):
- Click on Attachments tab, bottom of the Post Reply window
- Click Add Files; a file manager window opens.
- Browse to picture file, click Open
- A panel opens with filename & options: Place inline, Delete file, File comment, and shows file size
- Clicking Place inline inserts the picture where I've thoughtfully pre-positioned the cursor, haha. **
- Above the Place inline panel is an Add file option. I guess it lets you go on to insert a second picture.

Hamburger Pheonix
Hamburger Pheonix
(Said to be a mutation found growing among the ruins after the firebombing of Hamburg)

** But in the preview window I can cut & paste the image code to reposition it

webmaster
Site Admin

Qmavam wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:59 am
I have had no luck posting photos. So, here I try again. I went to attachments, clicked on add files, double clicked the piicture file icon. it loads into the light blue rectangle under the black bar the has Filename, File Comment, Size and status in it,
BTW, size is 1.7MB and status is X. Now it seems loke there would be one more step to insert the file into the post, I don't see anything.
So maybe submit. So I'll do that, if there is no picture, please give me guidance. I ask this on the thread made specifically for garden picture and got zero response.
Mikek
Edit: no picture, Please help
It looks like you're skipping the Insert Inline step.

Here's a link to a step by step tutorial. It's for the older forum layout we used to have, but the process is exactly the same.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3724&p=20226

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Qmavam wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:59 am
I have had no luck posting photos......
@Qmavam; "It looks like you're skipping the Insert Inline step" sounds right. But in the 2006 link provided by Webmaster, the screens look quite different from the ones I see on my machine. Maybe that's because of forum software changes or maybe operating system quirks (but I doubt that.)

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”