MsDDC
Cool Member
Location: Washington, DC; 7A by the map but 7B by local urban temps

Recipes? Maybe a Sub-forum?

Obviously, once we all grow our lovely fruits and veggies, we EAT them. Personally, I get a lot more creative with my veggie recipes than with meats and grains (I tend to do the same thing over and over again with those, where I am always finding new ways to cook veggies).

For now, at least a thread!

I didn't grow most of what I'm eating this week, since it's February in DC (if I had known spring would arrive at Christmas, I might be eating things I grew, but, alas, I went with "typical" weather). But I do subscribe to this awesome service called Hungry Harvest (available in DC, Baltimore, Philly, parts of North Carolina, and some other places) that recovers "ugly" or surplus veggies and delivers them to their customers (including me!) for a song. Makes my between-harvest times much brighter! I also eat a veggie-heavy diet, so lots of great things come of those boxes (and my garden, when producing). So, this week:

Breakfasts: sausage veggie wraps. I pretty much so eat these all the time for breakfast. Bell peppers, spinach (sometimes it's other greens like kale or collards, but I got TONS spinach in my box this week), onions, and sausage ("loose," this week it's pork), sautéed with some olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper. Nothing terribly fancy. I wrap that up in a high-fiber tortilla with a schmear of herbed or chive cream cheese (whatever's on sale that week). A really great, quick breakfast! I make up the veggie/sausage mix just once a week, then re-heat a portion to stuff the wrap each morning.

Lunch is particularly fancy this week: wilted spinach and arugula salad with honey roasted root veggies and shallots, lentils and eggs, and goat cheese and chopped walnuts. Again, I got a TON of spinach in my box, plus I still have arugula in the garden (because, again, spring arrived at Christmas, so my fall greens didn't die!). I wilted the spinach and arugula...nothing fancy, just a touch of olive oil to keep it from sticking and some salt and pepper. I roasted turnips, parsnips, and quartered shallots out of my box with some honey. ~35 minutes at 400 with just olive oil, salt, and pepper, then added honey for another 15 minutes until tender and the honey started to caramelize. Then I cooked up some black lentils and scrambled some eggs, and mixed them together. Seasoned simply with salt, pepper, and parsley. Wilted greens base, throw some goat cheese and chopped walnuts on top of that (I'm also adding some avocado because I have a ton from my boxes). Top with some root veggies. Top it all off with the eggs & lentils. Dash with a garlic vinaigrette. Good chilled, but GREAT if you warm the veggies!

Dinner is also fancy for the first half of the week. I got some duck breast on a really good sale, so I pan-seared that (cast iron all the way!), draining the fat off, as you do. Once I had the fat in hand, I tossed some med-diced potatoes with it and added some garlic salt and thyme. I also got a purple cauliflower and a couple nice broccoli crowns in my box, so I chopped those up and roasted them simple in olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. All the veggies went into the same 400 degree oven with the root veggies for lunch. Broccoli and cauliflower took about 25 minutes, potatoes the same 45-50 the root veggies took (I like 'em crispy, and the duck fat keeps them from sticking/burning).

Later this week will feature artichoke, green beans, and romanesco.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

We have a subforum - Canning -Preserving - Recipes I guess that could be mistaken for recipes on only canning and preserving, but other recipes are posted there, too.

viewforum.php?f=45

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”