SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Tomatoville

Hope this isn't against any forum rules...

Many of you may know already but just wanted to give a heads up that Tomatoville is shutting down 12/31/19 so if anyone has posts or info they want to save, head over and start backing up.
Someone may acquire the domain and keep it open but its not definite, I just hate to see folks loose any important info they may have.
I'm hoping that folks from TV head over hear once the site is shut down, there's a lot of good folks on TV

applestar
Mod

It’s really a shame. I heard that the owner is permanently shutting it down (“going dark”) and won’t be leaving it up as inactive archive?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:It’s really a shame. I heard that the owner is permanently shutting it down (“going dark”) and won’t be leaving it up as inactive archive?
That was the way I heard it, also.

It never worked well for me. The website owner seemed too uninvolved, perhaps because it didn't generate enuf/any income.

Many of the posts may continue to be available at web.archive.org but that's not a gardening oriented website. Still, it has been helpful for my interests on all sorts of subjects. There is plenty uncovered by "the wayback machine" from T'ville.

Let's always keep in mind that all websites cost something so as to be online and to be maintained. If they are not involved commercially, we should really think how donating to a service of benefit may be individually possible. I'm not one believing that money makes the world go round. However it happens, Good Will must play some role.

Steve

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Fourteen years is a long time for any web forum to be active. I am sure the expense and pressure of handling a membership of more than 25,000 would be stressful. Having been an semi-active member since the second day of its existence, I have seen lots of changes in Tomatoville's membership and tone of the messages. I frequent a few sites for the diversity of subject matter. As that site goes dark, another is already taking its place. So long as the premise is friendliness and non-conflict, like the Helpfulgardener, those are the places I will continue to visit.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoville? Never heard of that one. The last gardening forum I was on was just terrible. This one guy couldn't stand me, beginning with our highly difference of opinions on how to plant tomatoes. But HelpfulGardener is totally awesome! :-()

webmaster
Site Admin

I am interested in keeping it open but I am unable to contact the owner. I would be obliged if anyone can contact him on my behalf either by email or by private messaging with him on some other forum.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I went and looked on Tomatoville...I remember it now. I had looked at it when I was looking for a forum to join. It looks great, I'd hate to see it go to. But I couldn't figure out the crazy contact email either.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoville would not let me register due to a backlog of new accounts and have temporarily suspended new accounts. They hope to fix it soon, but there's not much time between now and the 31rst.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

webmaster you can try this link. I think the PM feature is shut down and they are not accepting new members.

https://tomatoville.com/member.php?u=1#

Go under Contact info and there is an option for Skype Messaging
I'll see what else I can find.

webmaster
Site Admin

I think the owner knows I contacted him.

He's aware of our forums and appears to have modeled his terms of service after ours although our follow through on those terms and promises was more successful.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Tomatoville has indicated he will remain open with some changes to be forthcoming. Fifteen years of valuable information will not be lost.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

That's good news! :wink:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have never heard of Tomatoville. It is not often that I search for other garden forums I just don't have time for extra forums. I was on another garden forum but have not clue what the name is only reason I remember it I have a saved a link to it & accidentally found the link about 9 months ago. There is nothing on that forum only about 8 new posts the whole year of 2018. An advertisement for Garden of Eden forum popped up on my computer several years ago so I watched for a month before I joined. Every time I said something it mad everyone mad. When I posted a picture of my garden people were very MAD. I got a lot of hate message from people that said, we don't plant a garden like that, we don't till soil, we don't plant in rows, we don't fertilize, we don't use stakes or cages. Everyone on Garden of Eden forum appears to be brain washed they all plant the exact same way and they don't want to see or hear anything different, so I left there several years ago. If there are other garden forums it might be fun to check them out winter gets boring with not much to do.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I know what you mean. This one guy on the last gardening forum I was on hated me, beginning with the fact he refused to believe there was any other to plant a leggy tomato plant but shallow. I tried to tell him to plant his the way he wants if it worked for him, but to leave me to plant mine the way I want, because planting deep worked for me. He told me to not to tell anyone that the buried stem of the leggy tomato plant would form roots and make a stronger plant because he claimed it was wrong. He and I only squabbled with each other, because nobody tells me how to plant my tomatoes. Anyway, when he found out what religion I am, that only made him madder and he ended up having me kicked off. I don't miss that forum anymore since joining HelpfulGardener.

imafan26
Mod

I have looked at tomatoville before but I did not follow it. There have been other sites in recent years that have disappeared.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”