TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Happy Thanksgiving 2019!

I will not be on the forum tomorrow, so in advance: Happy Thanksgiving to all; and to all, a wonderful time with friends and family!! :wink:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Happy Thanksgiving! I have to go make a pumpkin cheesecake now, to take over tomorrow.

applestar
Mod

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! We went to MIL’s house so I had it easy this year.

Sadly I had nothing to contribute from my garden, though — maybe next year will be more productive and I would be able to add to the festivities.

In the past, I’ve made/added side dishes, squash pies, garden pickles and preserves, etc. Summer produce from the freezer and fresh and dried herbs to use In recipes, even table decorations.

I would love to hear about your garden contributions to the Thanksgiving table. Sometimes, I feel like the Canadians have the right idea to have their Thanksgiving Day a month earlier, since in my area, the garden is finished by end of November. :)

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I know what you mean. Nothing from my garden went to the Thanksgiving table. Unless of course anybody would've been interested in stunted cool weather crops.

There was no big gathering in my family, thank goodness; just my closest and most loved members. What the rest of my family did I'm assuming they went to in-law's or stayed to themselves.

Since I heard there was going to be plenty of food provided, I decided not to cook anything myself. Good thing to, 'cause I got plenty of leftovers. We gathered at DG's place to eat and ate merrily. The broccoli and rice casserole was a masterpiece! Afterwards, DSF took us all on a ride on his Gator he had brought, through the woods. It was a bumpy, but peaceful ride!

Now I am home, configuring Christmas decor!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. It is always fun to have family come eat, this year we decided to keep it small an we still have too much food. We have enough garden food in the pantry to last until July but this is the time of year to eat things we never cook like, turkey, sweet potatoes, dressing & pies. After eating the same food over and over several times now I wish it was gone. LOL. This evening wife said, are you hungry? No, I ate too much for lunch. Dog & cats are full too. I fixed a bowl of cheese dip with about 1/4 of a jar of garden pickled jalapenos stirred in to snack. Then I had my 3rd piece of pumpkin pie for today with French vanilla ice cream this time instead of whip cream. Pumpkin pie is a vegetable :). We still have a whole pie to eat and plenty of food for tomorrow.
Attachments
100_5718.JPG
100_5719.JPG

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

That cheese dip looks great! I finished off what was left of the broccoli and rice casserole for lunch yesterday. There's still some soon to be gone cranberry sauce left, and a few cookies.

I spent all morning yesterday decorating for Christmas. Moving furniture, dusting and vacuuming prior to pulling the tree out. Putting up the tree and putting the ornaments on it is the easy part, but OH how I hate putting the lights and garland on. When I put the lights on and was going to plug them in...I realized I put them on upside down: the outlets were on the wrong ends. After plopping on the floor in exasperation, I took the lights BACK off the tree and fixed them. After fixing the lights and garland, I vacuumed again to clean up the fallen needles before putting the skirt down. THEN came the fun part! My ornaments are completely miscellaneous. I have a few childhood ones, old ones that belonged to my grandmother, ANCIENT ones that belonged to my great-grandparents and some only a couple years old.

After the tree was completed, then comes the little decor to place here and there: snowglobes, garland, nativity scenes, artificial poinsettia, bubble light, battery operated tea lights and color-changing trees. It may sound junky, but when it's all lit up at night, it brings me pleasure, even despite the fact I hate stuff that takes a bunch of batteries. LOL.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:I spent all morning yesterday decorating for Christmas. I hate putting the lights and garland on.
My mother use to throw all the lights at the Christmas tree then she laughed like that was the funniest thing ever. Then she plugged in the lights to see how they look. If they looked good she would laugh like it is a miracle they look good. If they look terrible she laughed about how bad they look then pulled the lights off and threw them at the tree again. Mom never had a serious bone in her body she acted silly an laughed all day. I am the same way most of the time and a perfectionist about other things. Last week I was crawling under the house working on plumbing then went to the hardware store covered with dirt. Man that owns hardware store said, what happened to you? I said, I fell down. He said, No you didn't. Then we both got to laughing so hard we almost fell in the floor. Life is too short act silly have fun every day.

Wife turned all the left overs into a stew.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

LOL! Your Mom sounds like a wonderful person! I just love people with a silly sense of humor! Throwing lights on the tree sounds like something my Mom would do when she's in a good mood. But she's got many health issues now and isn't always funny anymore. Last year I even had a thought of lighting a match to my tree to see how truly flame retardant it claims to be. So I've had my moments of silliness to, even to the point where I'm in tears. :>

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”