applestar
Mod

Traditional ceremonies, costumes, etc. of the world

This is fantastic. It’s only 4-1/2 minutes long but is a short video from Japan’s new Emperor and Empress’s Visit to the Grand Ise Shrine. He arrives in a fully decked out 2-horse drawn carriage, and all the major personages are wearing traditional ceremonial costumes. They are using the greased/waxee paper umbrellas in the rain. The Empress’s multi-layer ceremonial kimono is said to be extremely heavy and you could almost see her straining to take each step.

両陛下 伊勢神宮を参拝

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

That was a beautiful horse-drawn carriage! :D And wow, that poor Empress. That Kimono was indeed lovely, but no matter how important I was, I wouldn't want to wear something so heavy it would weigh me down. :shock:

imafan26
Mod

It is a hard life for a commoner to adjust to.

applestar
Mod

I was looking for YouTube video my Mom and Dad might enjoy and came across this.  This is Kabuki, ancient style Japanese theater, entitled “Akoya”

Akoya 阿古屋 (April 2002 Kabuki-za) 坂東玉三郎 中村梅玉 中村勘三郎
https://youtu.be/byiOclUfTRo

... I found the same video with really great English commentary that explains the background as well as the dialog and scenes.  I mostly watched this one since I don’t understand it without help.  :wink:

Akoya (April 2002 Kabuki-za) with english commentary
https://youtu.be/0JRj9zk8MTo

imafan26
Mod

Today at the garden we had our annual Christmas party. Playing horsehoes, table games, sharing food, door prizes, making Christmas wreaths and swags, and singing songs. I got another Meyer lemon tree. We also had to do Tanko Bushi. It not the same dance that is done for obon. We used to do obon too but not enough people came so it has been folded into our Christmas celebration. Next week on the 28th we will have our annual mochi pounding, kado matsu, and more food.

I also did pull a couple of bags of weeds out of the garden while I was there.

applestar
Mod

I’ve seen a similar, simpler technique like this for recovering dropped stitches while knitting, which can be adapted to repair holes, but I never knew woven fabric clothing repair technique like this was a thing.

The exact same threads for weaving are taken from inconspicuous parts of the clothes on the reverse side according to displayed description.

かけつぎ(かけはぎ)のやり方 織り込み - YouTube
How to kaketsugi(kakehagi) ReWEAVING - YouTube
We specialize in repairing scratches and holes in clothing to as close to their original condition as possible.
(Kaketsugi = Repairing holes in clothing)

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”