Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

On the shores of Gitchee Gumee

Wild Wonderful Lake Superior.

Our last road trip before heading home to AZ. These 2 pics taken at Whitefish Point on the south shore of Lake Superior in the central U.P.

17 miles out in the direction the camera is pointing is where the Edmund Fitzgerald iron ore freighter went down in 1975. They were trying to make it to the eastern side of Whitefish Point where there was a safe harbor. They just didn't quite make it. The wreck actually sits in Canadian waters.
2019 white fish pt.jpg
Lake Superior on a beautiful day.
2019wild lk sup.jpg
Another day the waves were incredibly wild.
2019 wild waves.JPG
A bald eagle picking around on the beach. It looks like I caught him/her in mid stride. Click to enlarge this one.
2019 bald.JPG
Here's an interesting site I first visited with a geology class to the U.P. around 1971. Found it again in my old age! This is near Ishpeming in the U.P. This is on a hill called Jasper Knob. Specular hematite laced with Jasper.
2019 jasper.JPG

applestar
Mod

Wow, wow! I’ve never been to that area — the lake totally looks like the ocean. The eagle, the gorgeous rock! — thanks for sharing :D

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the photos, Taiji!

imafan26
Mod

Beautiful pics. Hematite can be found near Volcano as well. We don't have lakes big enough to precipitate the iron ore out.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Glad to share! Lake Superior seems to have a personality all its own. More wild and untamed than the other great lakes. It's one of the main reasons we come here.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Oh wow, that is GORGEOUS!! Thanks so much for sharing that! What I wouldn't give to be fishing there, walking along the shoreline, or perhaps on horseback! Such beautiful scenery! :D

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”