applestar
Mod

Weird tv shows —> weird dreams?

I had a crazy dream last night. I think it’s because I got drawn into watching a couple of episodes of “How Eartth Works” with DH. Not my regular cup of tea, but he likes shows like those, and this one was a bit more science-y than some of the others. But they tend to present dramatic time lapse CG animations of catastrophic events. Each episode ended with the scientists who had been excitedly describing their theories and proofs saying basically : “it happened before, it can happen again”.

Some of the experiments and geological discoveries were interesting, and that’s what I stayed to watch, but I really shouldn’t have. I can’t watch scary movies or read scary novels — and particularly not just before going to sleep — they always end up as nightmares.

Well, I dreamed that I was looking at an weather app like I often do — I tend to watch the radar forecast video in weatherbug and track down tropical storms and hurricanes/typhoons on Living Earth, but in the dream, this weather app looked like a combination of the several different weather forecasts that track and warn about hurricanes and it was showing the hurricanes continuous rather than looped real-time movements in radar.

There was a broad band of multiple hurricane landing warnings in Mexico, and oddly, in Pacific Northwest. While I watched, a hurricane that was slowly tracking west across the Gulf of Mexico suddenly started moving really fast, veered north instead of heading for Mexico, landed in Texas and diagonally across the US across the Rockies, to Oregon/Washington states, then looped north across the Canadian border then made a hairpin turn and tracked across the continent down to the Carolinas and Georgia. Then a second hurricane followed nearly the same goofy/impossible course. And while I was thinking ‘this wasn’t in the forecast, and how are those systems moving so fast?’ Multiple hurricanes just popped up near Florida (maybe just entering the frame), rushed west and struck Mexico across the Yucatán, creating spiral red.orange.yellow.green splashes like asteroid impacts (see this is where I think that tv show was particularly influencing).

Honestly. You’d think I would have learned by now. :roll: At least this wasn’t realistic enough to be actually scary. You know how some dreams just give themselves away?

webmaster
Site Admin

I recently had a weird dream involving reptiles trapped in an enclosure forced to eat each other to survive. Apparently I had watched a TV show and it had shown a couple of bright green reptiles in an enclosure and that's where those images had their origin.

I'm reading a book about Norse myths by Neil Gaiman and that never influences my dreams. Read then sleep. Better than TV.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

My dreams seldom relate to any identifiable daytime event.

One of my most dramatic dreams had me standing on the foredeck of a submerging submarine with my bootlace caught in a hatch cover. As usual I woke before anything was resolved. Thinking back on it I laugh - how can my un-monitored mind feed me such ridiculous & scary stuff?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I have been trying to not post so much Hoo-Ha and Foo and then you throw in this thread. I love analyzing dreams. Dreams are symbolic so that's why they seem so weird. I started learning about dream symbology over ten years ago and am able to analyze many of my own dreams now. I have alot of dreams about water which symbolizes emotions and the unconscious. Dreams tend to relate to something that is going on in your life.
I have to get going. I will write more about this later perhaps.
Last edited by HoneyBerry on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Image Image

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I could go on and on, but I will try to keep it short. Here is my take on these dreams. You can take it or leave it.

Vanisle_BC wrote:
"One of my most dramatic dreams had me standing on the foredeck of a submerging submarine with my bootlace caught in a hatch cover."

This submarine dream seems similar to my recurring boat-water dreams. In my dreams, I am confidently sailing a huge sailboat on a large very clear and blue body of water, swift like a river but huge like an ocean. I am alone on the boat and very happy. I interpret these dreams of mine as my unconscious poking through. The large body of water represents my unconscious helping me with life's struggles, as I am 'sailing my boat'.

I think that your dream (Vanisle_BC) is similar to my boat-water dreams. This type of dream is a dream of clarity, and tends to leave a big impression. The dream messages are from your higher consciousness offering guidance or insight. The body of water is your unconscious trying to assist you, but something is tripping you up (bootlace caught in hatch cover). This is what you have to figure out. It could be resistance or fear or something else. Symbolism in dreams is universal but the dreams themselves are very personal.

Apple's dream seems nightmarish but at the same time full of beautiful symbols.
It seems like the more common type of dream that associates with emotional states from the recent past, in this case all the weird weather news.
Last edited by HoneyBerry on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I once had a dream that was full of animal symbolism. I was able to figure out that the animals in my dream symbilized certain people that I knew based on their personalities. And at the end of the dream there was an angel who handed me a large white key. This dream was one of my most profound dreams. The large white key is supposed to symbolize wisdom.

Here is another one of the clarity type dreams that I had:
I was standing at a gate and a large growling bear was coming at me. When the bear came within inches of me, it turned sharply and then turned into a beautiful black horse. The black horse dropped a bright red ruby at my feet and ran off. The growling is the guy in an adverse situation that I was having to deal with. The black horse symbolizes power. The red ruby is the gift of insight that I received from my unconscious higher self.

I don't have very many of the clarity type dreams, but when I do, they have a big impression on me and I don't forget them.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Can't really say I've had weird dreams over something I watched on TV, but some of those shows are food for thought, and sometimes it can be very negative thoughts.

Watching a show about the huge caldera beneath Yellowstone with its propensity to erupt on occasion throughout history was enough to give pause for thought about such a natural disaster and the effects it would have on the world as we know it. It could very easily be a global event and not just something the US has to deal with depending on how things go when it decides to act up again, and it's pretty much determined it will act up again at some time.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I like dreams it is like going to bed an watching a lot of different short movies on TV all night. I have noticed if I take my vitamins before bed instead middle of the day it makes me have a dozen dreams. Last night I took my vitamins before bed and I had a dozen dreams. I remembered 3 dreams this morning but forgot them all now. I have an old tape recorder next to bed if I put my dreams on tape then listen to them a year later I remember them in detail.

About 25 years ago I had this strange dream. When I flushed the toilet I hear the sound of water going up the wall, over the ceiling then water came out of a pipe in ceiling an went back into the toilet. I flushed toilet again an water came out of the ceiling an back into the toilet. I flushed toilet 15 times water keeps coming back. LOL

Dreams are a form of temporary controlled insanity.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

If there's anybody that weird dreams, it's me. :oops: Most of the dreams I have I'm either shopping in odd stores, I'm fishing in weird places(including in a store) or there's a tornado in it. I remember years ago I dreamed that bunch of cowboy's rode up on horses to my grandmother's driveway and started playing pool under her carport....without a pool table. :roll:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”