HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Re: Winter

:eek:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

There was only a skift of snow this morning on the 18" already here. The arterials were nearly bare but it was freezing and the snow wasn't melting. There was an early morning appointment so we left early. Four lanes, the traffic light ahead changes to red.

The guy in a 4 wheel drive beside us hit a tree rather than plow into the car waiting at the light!

She sat there staring into her rear view mirror afterwards, probably hoping that he couldn’t get back on the road.

Be advised: he did.

Steve

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

This is not funny. Fifteen-sixteen inches of snow and now the forecast says mixed rain & snow for 3 days. In earlier times I'd be shovelling the roof to reduce the load but I'm a tad too wobbly to risk it now (I.e. wife won't let me :roll: .) On top of it all the overnight temps will still be in the freezing range which will make for a big mess at ground level and among the trees & shrubs.

Never mind; my half-submerged experimental sweet potatoes in the living room are putting out roots.
SnowChairs.jpg

applestar
Mod

Someone sent me this — it seemed appropriate for this thread :lol:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Single digitS' predicted for our weekend. I'm thinking that might be okay.

At least 4 more inches of snow has fallen here. Watching California's Russian River flooding on teevee makes me wonder what would happen here with all this late-season snow. We have both mountain communities and low-lying areas that could be in trouble.

I'm trying to imagine Ice Age floods ..!

Steve :shock:

pow wow

Partridges were in my backyard yesterday morning. Should have spring temps next week.
P1060219.JPG
P1060225.JPG

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

What do you suppose those are, Pow Wow?

They aren't White-tailed Ptarmigan because they should be "winter white."

When I lived in a forest clearing I'd see Ruffed Grouse but only by ones and twos and usually in trees or the snow berries.

I'm seeing quite a few Gray Partridges on these winter days but I have to be out, driving through large grain fields. I wouldn't expect them in a backyard.

I'm disappointed not to have the California Quail in my yard this winter. They are common here but not so far north as your neighborhood. They had to make quite a commitment to pass through backyards from where I'd usually see them about 500 yards away to arrive in a several acre nearby playground. My yard was their route during the winter for several years.

Steve

pow wow

Hello digitS',
Those are the little gray partridges that visit my yard. They live on the edge of my hill, once the eggs hatch the parents walk them across the road to my yard for seed. Quite cute, but they are very skittish. They disappeared for a couple of years and I'm very pleased they are making a come back. Dozens of ducks suddenly died on the edge of the city a couple weeks ago.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5036289

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Pow Wow, we are having an unusual amount of late winter snowfall and snow cover. More falling today and with the colder than normal temperatures. There were a few chilly, sunny days.

But, the Robins are back! There are usually a half-dozen or so to be found somewhere in about 10 square miles during the winter days but I mean BACK! It was probably that these Robins were just in lower elevations of the Columbia Basin (I'm guessing!) until about 2 weeks ago. Then, a lot of wind and rain moved through that area so they came north and to higher elevations. What they might be finding to eat - Good Heavens! It's kind of scary ...

The Gray Partridge I see are often beside areas of drifting snow. No, they aren't in the drift but nearby. If you think about it, the snow is coming from somewhere so there is probably some clear ground, like, on the other side of the hill. However, that area may be uncomfortable during windy hours even if food may be exposed for the birds. So, they move about to both find food and to stay out of the wind. And, they do that "follow the leader," burrowing thing :wink: .

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Snowing again.

The afternoons are predicted to be so warm that the 3" to 5" predicted doesn't seem like it can be around long. Maybe, it will melt some of the 15" or so, already here. I hope it doesn't go too quickly but it is certainly time for some bare ground.

Nothing wants to eat the safflower seed I put out. DD gave it to me claiming that the squirrels will leave it alone but I'd hoped to sustain those "non-migrating" European doves, some Juncos (?), maybe a Nuthatch ... nuthin.

What do Robins eat in winter besides Mountain Ash berries.??

Steve
where's that JAL?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

We had two months of above normal temperatures and then a month of bellow normal, and got some snow. I plowed our road once this winter, not all winters this is needed. It is now going to be normal or warm, 60's and may hit 70.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Our yard in the snow.
Attachments
IMG_1931.JPG

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”