applestar
Mod

HAPPY NEW YEAR • 2019 !!!

Happy New Year everybody! How did / do you celebrate this changing of one year to the next?

We had noodle soup day before yesterday, even though it is actually a NYE traditional/ceremonial dinner. We also had Japanese style Spaghetti “Napolitan” made with ham, onions, beech mushrooms, plus this summer’s green, red, orange, and yellow peppers from the freezer, and some roasted garlic marinara as well as ketchup.

We were noodled-out, so for this year’s NYE dinner, I marinated salmon steaks for two whole days, then Last night, cut them up, dusted with potato starch and deep fried them. A little lemon juice was all they needed. A whole salt-cured salmon is actually a traditional NY Day Gift/ingredient in some regions of Japan.

Also, made “mock” Mochi from sweet glutinous rice — washed and ground up/pulverized in a blender, then cooked in two cycles of the rice cooker. And sweet adzuki beans — first cooked with plenty of water and added half of sugar, then without stirring up, had the broth and Mochi as sweet, then after draining/finishing the broth, added other half of sugar and simmered until shiny into sweet (tsubu=whole bean)anko jam. Wrapped some of these in the Mochi for filled Mochi.

This morning, made traditional ozouni — NY Morning soup. This varies greatly by region. Ours today included carrots, Tokyo scallions, beef, egg custard silken tofu, beech mushrooms, crab sticks, pink kamaboko, konbu (kelp)... and white miso. Oh, for the green leafy ingredient garnish, I used my own dwarf moringa leaves. A bowl full of this including a big blob of my Mock Mochi. Yum!

webmaster
Site Admin

I made pigs in a blanket and invited some friends to the house. Then watched a movie with the family. Pretty quiet but relaxed. The dog, the cats and the family all piled on to the couch! :)

Happy new years to all!
;)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

For probably 60 years, my family has had New Year's Day brunch with the women of the house being able to leave the cooking to the men.

When Dad was well into his 70's, he asked how he got "roped into it." And now ... he is over 100 ... He isn't another Jacque Pépin. I pretty much took over preparing the omelets after he admitted that :wink:.

DW likes a buffet style so the others hand the fillings of their choice to me. Just about everything will go in the omelet although we usually have homemade bread and fruit. I can keep things moving fairly well with a double burner griddle and using the microwave for the final minute or two.

However ... we have had colds, so that tradition was "off the table." DW is still carrying tissues everywhere she goes. She kinda missed her birthday, as well. We had a very low-key day. I made French toast, instead of omelets :) .

Steve

told2b

Hope and faith flower from the cheerful seeds of the old year
to the sprouting garden of the new year's dawn.
~Terri Guillemets

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”