digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The Week, on Standard Time

How are you adjusting?

There seems to be agreement by healthcare people that time change is stressful. Do you have ideas for smoothing the rough edges to schedules?

I'm retired and even my gainful retirement activities ended just before this time change. Still, I notice and try to compensate - much less is required of me, however, than the change in early March or in earlier years.

Steve

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I'm pretty sensitive to just about everything so I don't care for DST especially spring forward. It feels like jet lag for about a week. Fall back is not so bad.

webmaster
Site Admin

I need to get up earlier to take advantage of the sunlight. The sun's setting at 4:30 PM now!

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

No DST in AZ. But, I'm having my own jet lag probs after returning from the U.P. Still waking up before daylight. Get tired early in the evening; it's to be expected, U.P. was 2 hrs ahead, one hour now!

imafan26
Mod

The sun is arriving later, so it is not so much a lag in time as it is, that my alarm is set at the same time all year. In summer, it is only a half hour till sunrise, now it is two hours. I have a hard time falling asleep when I get up, but I don't know exactly what I can do in the dark. My energy level fades during the day, so I like to get up early and try to get the heavy stuff done while I still have the energy to do it. At 5 in the morning, I can't run a vacuum cleaner, but I can do laundry, clean the bathroom, make my bed (really more like rearrange the blanket), feed the cats, and get on the computer. Getting on the computer early is not a good thing since once I start, I don't get off until late and then it is too late to get as much done. I have to wait until there is enough light to see outside so I can water.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The thinking seems to be that at a certain line of latitude north, daylight savings becomes most useful. It doesn't work out perfectly but

· the employer expecting more work completed
· the employee with more daylight away from the workplace

We have 16 hours of sunshine on the solstice in June, on a level horizon. On the winter solstice, 8 hours of sunlight is all that is available here. A twice yearly change of the clock fails to conform rather dramatically to the fairly rapid changes of sunrise and set over the days of the year.

Steve

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”