Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Internet list of common abbreviations.

My son says, there is a common list of internet abbreviations everyone should learn and use, you can not make up your own abbreviations and expect anyone to know what they mean.

I am on other forums the electronic forum is the worse forum for abbreviations. Certain people type with lots of abbreviations. There is 1 person every sentence has abbreviations. I have no clue what the guy says. The forum has no abbreviation list even if it did it would take a lot of time to translate. Some of the abbreviations I know, vom ps dh swr sw ssb hf ota & more. Too many abbreviations it is hard to read.

The Camper Trailer forum is the same way people type abbreviations for their, vehicle, trailer, state park, national park, state, city, campground, etc and expect other people to know what it means. People type things like this, We used our new TV to take Betty Jane to GC. Translation = We used our new Tow Vehicle to take (Betty Jane = name they gave their camper trailer) to Grand Canyon. You need to be on this forum a while to lean how to translate what people type and it is not always easy especially when people type in local stuff that no one knows but them. We camped at HSPCGA. I have no clue what that means & I bet no one else knows and no one will ask.

If you can't speak English we are not interested. LOL

I am glad people don't get carried away with abbreviations on the garden forum.

KeyWee

I hear you loud and clear. Being a bit fussy about the English language, the current (and constant) use of acronyms, coupled with the bad spelling and poor grammar, is making me very close to insane. While I love a good long post on a topic of interest to me, I will lose that interest quickly if any post is peppered with any and all of the aforementioned.
I guess I don't mind the occasional "ur", but is it meant as "your" or "you're"? Or the useful "2", but is it "to", "two", or "too"?
You're right Gary ~ given a plethora of acronyms (some I can figure, some I can't, thanks to clever vanity plates), you can count me out. What's the sense of communicating if your recipients need the Rosetta Stone to get your point?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

U 2 R 2 :>)

Best I could come up with on short notice.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

KeyWee wrote:I hear you loud and clear. Being a bit fussy about the English language, the current (and constant) use of acronyms, coupled with the bad spelling and poor grammar, is making me very close to insane. While I love a good long post on a topic of interest to me, I will lose that interest quickly if any post is peppered with any and all of the aforementioned.
I guess I don't mind the occasional "ur", but is it meant as "your" or "you're"? Or the useful "2", but is it "to", "two", or "too"?
You're right Gary ~ given a plethora of acronyms (some I can figure, some I can't, thanks to clever vanity plates), you can count me out. What's the sense of communicating if your recipients need the Rosetta Stone to get your point?
My father in law was a new paper reporter he had to write News Paper articles for the news paper every day. He once told me, most people have a vocabulary of about 450 words if I writes articles with big fancy words no one will read the articles because they have no clue what those big words mean. News Paper articles need to be written at about 3rd grade level for most people to read them.

I am guilty of bad spelling and poor grammar after college I worked in engineer all my life I never needed to write much or spell much, engineering is all, math, physics, electronics, chemistry, if you don't use it you loose it. 50 years after high school I have forgotten more than I ever learned. Good thing computers have spell check my typing errors & bad spelling you would probably never be able to read this. My fingers hurt me all the time it is very hard to type & not make mistakes.

I sometimes send people messages like this, What r u up 2. Younger generation knows what this means but older generation some people can not figure out what it means. I tell people, close your eyes say the WORDS out loud fast 3 times then you know what is means. LOL.

I see DH over & over on several forums. Don't remember where but someone kept talking about DH, DH this & DH that, I was having trouble figuring out what DH is so I asked, WHAT is DH? Answer DH = Dead Husband. Now when I see DH I think it means Dead Husband but I'm not sure, there are a lot of people using DH surly they don't all have a dead husband. LOL DH must mean other things too?
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Oh no! Sprinkle salt, knock on wood, dash outside to find some 4 leaf clovers! :lol:

Dear Husband
Dear Wife
Dear Partner
Dear Spouse or
Dear Son
Dear Daughter

Or

Darling ... etc.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”