rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

compare your home town now to when you were born

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... wQodX-0KJA

this is interesting to play with. Just gives you data.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It hasn't changed a whole lot. Biggest change I guess would be the horses. Back in the ol days farming was done with horses, now a days its tractors. In the ol days every family had a horse and horses was how you got around, today every kid from age 15 has a car.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The link is about how the climate has changed, but only gives information on days over 90 degrees and only going back to 1960. I'm guessing like me, James, you were born before 1960 :)

I tried it for you with Ogden UT. It says in 1960 Ogden averaged 14 days a year over 90 degrees, now averages 17, by 2090 is likely to average 40.

The 14 / 17 days difference isn't as big as many places, because of your very short summer. If they had data on winters, that might show more change for you.

I grew up outside of Los Angeles. That has gone from fifty-five 90+ days a year to 67 days.

ACW

I arrived on the London hill where we have lived since 1970,there were very few cars parked up,this gradually changed over the years,street parking became difficult with lack of space/to many cars.
this situation has eased as fewer car owners and car clubs have reduced the "need" to park up..
bigger picture is the constant building of huge towes of homes and offfices going up all over London ,some stunning ,some just ugly.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

By that scale, my hometown is cooler than in 1960, so their political blurb about the sky is falling holds no sway...however, they did say,"you just watch out, by 2080 you will be cooking." By 2080 I just may well be cooking, depending on which way I have gone beginning in around twenty years from now...or maybe less.

My hometown has many more empty store fronts on the main square and more businesses on the edges of town. It has the basic look of 1960 without the one or two very large factories it used to have.

applestar
Mod

Not exactly hometown, but this area where I have lived for the past 30 years, one of the things I notice most is the way stretches of empty roads have become developed over the years. I’m a pretty good driver as far as landmarks go, and even places I haven’t been in a while, I can generally remember which way to turn and how long to drive based on my mental map from driving the area before. I get a secret delight when detailed mental map of one area connects with another area map and I can plot the best route through the entire area.

But more and more, an area I haven’t been to in 5 years would be so vastly changed that it’s difficult to match up to my remembered mental map. I find myself busy updating the “stretch of scrubby woods” and “horse farm” to “office park” or “shopping center” and “condos and townhouses”.

In fact, it was so prevalent, that I actually noticed a stretch of woods that HADN’T been turned into something else in a long time. It was odd. This wooded stretch had been skipped over and new mega shopping centers, office parks, etc. had grown beyond it.

...Happily, nowadays, you can get a satellite overview of any area using the map apps. And I discovered there is a mega-MacMansion beyond those woods. It looks like they secured a buffer zone all around the house and immediate area, and the property ranges from the highway all the way to the Main Street of the town, and the house/compound sits in the middle of it all, accessed from the Main Street to the end of an existing residential street then a long driveway.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Born in 52 and grew up in a lower middle class type neighborhood. When I was growing up there was a lot of segregation in place in the deep south and we even had the old Jim Crow Laws in effect. The area I grew up in was a mixed neighborhood, but whites and blacks lived in their own little areas of the neighborhood, hardly intermingled socially or even in the workplace

There definitely wasn't the type crimes you now see on a daily basis and even though there were turf wars from time to time, it hardly ever got to killing each other over what color bandana you sported or what group you hung around with. And there was no widespread drug use like you see now with kids slinging drugs on street corners and killing each other over the supposed right to sell on that particular corner. The world has gotten to be a far more dangerous place since I was a kid coming up in New Orleans.

It also takes a lot more money to become independent than when I was a young man. I got out of high school and went to work for a living, left home at 17 and moved out of state for a few years and shared places with friends I made along the way. If you had a job making fair money, you could afford to rent a house and pay your bills back then. It was a sacrifice to do so, but if you had your priorities in order, it was doable.

Today, with rents in my city going for about $1 per sq. ft. for an apartment or house, it is easy to see $1000 and up just for rent, add to that all the other necessities and you need to clear at least $2500 a month just to survive-----and do so on a strict budget.

The metropolitan area has certainly transformed over the years. There was a lot of expansion in the CBD (Central Business District) where older buildings were torn down to make room for high rise office buildings, huge national hotels, clubs, restaurants, convention centers, etc.

Hurricane Katrina did a lot to help transform the city too. So many houses were torn down after the storm and newer homes were built in their place, so a lot of the older, shoddier homes that were rented out by slumlords are now gone and along with that, the newer homes are up to code as far as the mechanical areas like plumbing, electrical, gas, etc.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”