imafan26
Mod

Things you notice when a storm approaches

Well, it is hurricane season again. Hurricane Hector is now a category 3 storm passing South Point on the Big Island. IT will be passing about 150 miles south of the Big Island. At the same time there are three fires on Oahu, the volcano is still dumping lava into the ocean and there is a fire on Mauna Loa. The winds from Hector may fan the flames on the Big Island but the rain baionds on Hector's outer perimeter may also help douse the flames.
The winds are gusty trades and it is overcast and dark. Hector will probably pass South of the Oahu tomorrow.

It is not uncommon for us to have brush fires especially at this time of the year and the volcano does not seem to be slowing down much and may not for months or even years.

This weather does not concern most of us, since it will be more like a tropical storm than a hurricane, but I do feel sorry for the homeless who don't have anywhere to go and the evacuees from the volcano are being moved by the state from their temporary tent structures to civil defense shelters until the storm passes. I know 3 people who came to my orchid club meeting last night who said the Waianae fire was just across the street or behind their property. They could not sleep or breathe from the smoke and they were using garden hoses to try to wet down their yards. One said he could hear the walkies from the firefighters.
It is times like these when communities pull together. Waianae is considered a rough neighborhood and they don't like outsiders, but within their community there is a lot of aloha. People were collecting supplies for the people living in the neighborhood and even drove down the roads to deliver water and food to the firefighters and police fighting the fires.

You can always tell when something is coming. The birds and the bees don't fly in wind or rain. It is eerily quiet. Early in the morning the birds usually make a lot of noise when they walk up. I hear a few birds now, but the birds that usually like to sit on my air conditioner decided not to come today. I'm sure they are hunkering down until the wind dies down. We should get most of the rain tomorrow on Oahu.

The birds are the most notable things that change when a storm approaches. It is not like they can fly away to get out of the way. Even the dogs and cats are quieter than usual. Not as many dogs barking and my cats are sticking closer to me than usual. Jack sticks so close, it is almost dog-like.

webmaster
Site Admin

You're right, there is a stillness when a storm approaches. I can feel it.

Sometimes I look out my window and say, "A storm is coming." Sometimes it's the color of the sky.

Right now I can hear an approaching thunder as I type.

imafan26
Mod

That's right. The day before the hurricane hits, the sky is usually overcast but it is very steamy and muggy. No wind at all.

That is usually how we can tell if a hurricane is really going to get close. If the trades can get any kind of mileage and the Pacific High is where it usually sits just to the Northeast of the islands, it protects us from most storms. The winds from the high usually create wind shear and tear the storms apart. We are most vulnerable to hurricanes in late September-October because the high normally moves toward California then and no longer protects us. It is a good thing we are a small target in the ocean. We do get surf and more rain from the storm remnants. The Big Island was preparing yesterday for storm surges since the passing of the storm coincided with the high tide.

Most storms passing north of us will not directly hit us. Storms passing south do make sudden right turns and usually hit Kauai or the channel between Oahu and Kauai.

Other hurricanes sometimes come directly from the west. Usually hurricanes that are only category 1 will bring Hilo a lot of rain but Mauna Loa knocks it apart. The volcano activity on the other hand feeds the heat engine and usually brings more thunder and lightening.

Usually after a storm, most sensible people will stay out of the water especially if it is murky and near the stream, storm canals, and river mouths. Sharks are known to hang around near shore after storms looking for a free meal of whatever washes out of the streams. Most of the shark "attacks" happen in murky water, when Turtle bay releases the sea turtle hatchlings, and in the Spring when the sharks come in to have their pups. Blood in the water will also attract them. Many fisherman have had their catches snatched by sharks.

If it has been raining for a while, the bees will go out anytime there is a break in the rain and wind to collect more nectar and pollen. Since we do have a year round growing season we actually take most of thier honey at the end of the year and only leave them a couple of full frames of honey. Most places will leave them an entire super or have to feed their bees for winter.
When it has been raining for a while and the hives are using up their honey stores, they will rob the weaker hives.

One good thing, after a healthy drenching rain, the mites, thrips, and a lot of the bugs will disappear.
However, three days after a day and night rainy spell, I have to put on DEET even to go into the yard because the mosquitoes will be everywhere. I also have to fungicide everything that is hairy or is susceptible to fungus. These would be the tomatoes, peppers, fuschia, cucurbits, eggplant, orchids, roses,peas, beans, and hibiscus. The tropical plants usually are designed with shiny leaves and need almost daily rain so they usually don't have problems with heat, humidity or fungus.

applestar
Mod

This is all very intriguing! I guess there must be specific local phenomena here as well, youth I don’t think I can list them.

I do know I have a “weather sense” abou approaching rain and storms as well, and can usually predict rain that will actually fall on my garden. I have often hurried in the garden trying to accomplish my To Do goals while muttering “rain is coming, rain is coming”.... :lol: ...sometimes, it’s only a sprinkle and I end up working through it, sometimes the sky opens up and pours just as I finish up and step inside, and I HAD been saying “storm is coming, storm is coming....” :shock:

Day before yesterday, I was caught completely unawares, and pretty strong sunshower swept over the garden while I was in the middle of a task. I was so surprised, but then remembered certain signs that should have caught my attention. :roll:

imafan26
Mod

Well, Hector did bring rain and surf to the Big Island, but it is passing south of Honolulu today. It is over 345 miles away so we will get the surf, and a little rain, but not as much as was predicted. I can hear the birds waking up, there are not as noisy as usual but making more noise than yesterday. Another consequence of the storm passing to the south, is that it is hot and muggy right now. It is 73 degrees with 94% humidity and no wind right now at 6 a.m. It will get up to 88 degrees downhill, but the heat index will be in the 90's. August, September, and October are the hottest months. It is not great for working in the yard, but it is a good time to spend at the mall, the movies, or even work where it is at least air conditioned. Oh, yeah, and drink a lot of water.

My cats are acting more normal today too. One is hanging out on the floor and the other is impatiently waiting for me to go get them breakfast.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”