tomf
Super Green Thumb

New knee in September.

I have been living with a bad knee for years and it has finally got to bone on bone. This year it became hard to ski or even walking can be hard and I cannot walk far on hard surfaces. I have been getting shots in it to help with pain but the doctor did not tell me I had to go three months without them before the operation, at the time of my visit I would have had time for one last shot. Now my shot has worn off and I feel the full pain if it. I will be getting a knee replacement in September.

applestar
Mod

Ooh good luck with the procedure. I hope you will be able to go back to enjoying your favorite activities.

Hopefully theee are ways to relieve weight on the bad knee, pain relief, etc to get you through this month until September.

imafan26
Mod

Good luck Tom with PT afterwards. If you have been skiing, you are way ahead of me. I did have synvisc in both knees last December. The doctor did say it may last 6-12 months. It is starting to hurt again now but at least it does not lock up like it did before. I am using leg braces now when I have to do a lot of walking or standing and it does help.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It is only a matter of time before you will need a replacement, I went years and last year it started to hurt and slow me down this year I knew I had to have it done.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've been to many PT centers after varying surgeries on joints and I've seen lots of folks there who've had knee replacements. To a man/woman, they've all said they wished they'd have done it sooner, even though the surgery and recovery takes some time.

I heard so many stories like you just related of intense pain, bone on bone, etc. and once the surgical damage heals, no more joint pain.

Good luck and mind what the Drs. and PT folk say.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Gumbo. A good friend of mine just moved to New Orleans.
Frank was a room mate in college, he went on the road with Aerosmith and then when he was on the road with Billy Joel we were back stage at a show and he said he would be on the road for some time and if I wanted to move to Portland I could use his apartment, so I did. This guy basically was a big part in changing my life for the better.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Tom, just checking to see if the surgery has been performed yet, and if so, how are you fairing now?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes it was done Sept 7th. I was told it would be painful but I did not expect that much pain. Saturday I wen to the hospital in an ambulance, I got real sick and ran a fever or 104. I had lost half my blood through my guts and had a bladder infection. I got out on Tuesday. Being stuck in bed put me back and I was in real pain the whole time plus two days at home, it is getting better now.

applestar
Mod

That sounds terrible and scary!
I am glad to hear you are on the mend, tomf. Sending healing thoughts.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:Yes it was done Sept 7th. I was told it would be painful but I did not expect that much pain. Saturday I wen to the hospital in an ambulance, I got real sick and ran a fever or 104. I had lost half my blood through my guts and had a bladder infection. I got out on Tuesday. Being stuck in bed put me back and I was in real pain the whole time plus two days at home, it is getting better now.

Yeah, it's a pretty invasive process to replace that knee. Sorry to hear you are having problems with this and good to hear it is now getting better. I'm assuming you've already been to a few sessions of PT to try to get a range of motion started. If so, just do what they say and don't try to push it too much. I've been following the type of work you're accustom to doing and being laid up is probably driving you crazy, but you can't force these things and take a chance of a set-back. Good luck man.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

True Gumbo I have cabin fever.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:True Gumbo I have cabin fever.
And I'm betting your weather is close to ideal for getting things done outside right about now. It is still pretty toasty and humid in the deep south, but there is a bit of change in the air. At least it's only getting into the high 80's during the days now instead of the 90's.

Just relax and know once you heal and get back to being yourself, you will be better than ever with that new knee.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I would die in the heat and humidity down there.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Come on Tom, give us an update on your progress. It's been almost a month since your last post in this part of the forum. You should be well along in our rehab and things should be getting easier by now------at least I hope so.

From your posts to this group, I can assume you're not a man to be held down by much and are quite active in keeping up your property and gardening endeavors. Chime in and let us know how things are going...….. Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I wish you well. Take good care of yourself.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”