Gary350
Super Green Thumb

New Antenna

Think the HOA will have a problem with my new antenna? Or do y'all think the nuclear power plant I'll need to power it will be the deal breaker?
Attachments
35196967_1658348394287221_5596611316065239040_n.jpg

PaulF
Greener Thumb

To heck with the HOA! They are being found illegal all over. So do you use co-ax cables or something a bit more heavy duty?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Um....... uh............ antenna for what?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I honestly don't understand this thread. Is that antenna in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone or something?

told2b

Tongue in cheek.
Last edited by webmaster on Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Terms of Service.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

How many people do not know TV is FREE if you have a antenna at home to receive it???

Most people under age 45 have no clue you can get FREE TV with an antenna. Most people will argue, NOTHING IT FREE.

Before cable TV there was over the air TV and there still is. Buy or build a TV antenna depending on where you live you might get 45 to 150 free TV stations. I have not had cable TV for 25 years.

Local TV stations bend over backwards to provide good TV programs to compete with $100 a month cable TV.

This is the antenna that I built it receives 88 stations in Arizona and 45 stations in Tennessee. TV is FREE. There are lots of good movies.
Attachments
ant2.jpg

webmaster
Site Admin

Wow serious?
That's really your antenna?
:eek:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:Wow serious?
That's really your antenna?
:eek:
Here the antenna is at the house we live in now. Little bit crooked and not very high up but it works good like this. We get 44 channels from Nashville TN, 6 channels from Lebanon TN. and several from Cookville TN. Lebanon TN is mostly movies.
Attachments
Here is our antenna setting in next to my sons car.
Here is our antenna setting in next to my sons car.
In front of the house.
In front of the house.

webmaster
Site Admin

How many miles away are the TV stations? Where'd you learn to do that? That's really impressive! 8)

I'm interested in setting up an antenna so that I can watch cultural events.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

We have been on antenna TV for three years along with Roku where we pay $25 per month for three streaming services. We get 27 channels over the airwaves and several hundreds streaming. When we left satellite it was $120/month and increasing. We still get the "come back" letters every week. They go in the trash. We are 60 miles from the nearest stations in Omaha and Lincoln and with a very good antenna and power booster from Denny's Antennas out of Michigan the stations all come in very well.
Attachments
41076646_scaled_354x265.jpg
41076646_scaled_354x265.jpg (20.28 KiB) Viewed 1200 times

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:How many miles away are the TV stations? Where'd you learn to do that? That's really impressive! 8)

I'm interested in setting up an antenna so that I can watch cultural events.
I took electronics in college. I bought a channel master CM4228 antenna it worked but not very well. I used amateur radio antenna hand book to make improvements on the factory made CM4228 it worked much better. Then I needed to make more changes to the factory antenna I realized it will be best to build my own antenna than make changes so I did. Reflector screen was changed to 48"x48" signal strength doubled. Then I changed wires & matching transformers signal got stronger. Next I swapped wire bow ties for solid metal bow ties signal doubled again. I am 40 miles from Nashville. I can pick up Cookville 65 miles away. I have taken the antenna camping all over the USA several times just to see what I can pick up it has picked up stations 92 miles way. You should buy an antenna suited for TV stations in your area type your address into TVFool.com it will show you all the, stations, directions, distance, channels.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I forgot to mention because of earth curvature 65 miles range is about maximum because TV station will be below the horizon and signal is line of sight. The higher up you put the antenna the better range gets. Transmitters in Nashville are up about 500 ft up that is good for me my antenna is only up 7 ft high. I see no reason to put my antenna up 20 ft like before it is a lot of work for nothing. Someone 60 miles from Nashville might need their antenna up 20 ft. I make new improvements all the time 2 days ago I learned about solid copper coax cable for TV it works better than old cable that was copper plated so I bought new wire but not connected it yet.

Transmitters in Arizona are all up on South Mountain about 3000 ft elevation that makes it possible to receive 88 channels on antenna TV 92 miles away. Someone on OTA TV forum says he is in NY city area 60 miles away he receives 115 channels.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”