tomf
Super Green Thumb

Photos of deer

I woke up to 7 deer in our yard this dawn, it was a bit dark so the photos are not the best.
Attachments
_DSC0132-5 copy.jpg
_DSC0145-6 copy.jpg
_DSC0129-2 copy.jpg

applestar
Mod

Ooh... they look hungry :shock:

...is that pieris/Andromeda in bloom in the foreground? I noticed a sweet fragrance while inspecting all the winter damage yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised to discover the Andromeda in full bloom in the side garden... a little refreshment and reminder that Spring has sprung!

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes it is

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I take it hunting season is closed now in your area and they are not near as wary----not that you'd use anything other than a camera to shoot them.

I know the only way I could shoot a deer was in a survival situation-------------even though I do have a pretty big shelf of deer meat in my freezer that a friend of mine so graciously gave me after he shot a couple of them in Texas and had more than he wanted.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

True I do not hunt any more and I am not very found of the taste of deer. I love looking at wild life and one of our things is to create and maintain our land to share with wild life of all kinds. One just has to know what to plant that they do not eat, or put it behind a deer fence.

applestar
Mod

My neighbor has a large metalwork garden art in their yard that spins in the wind — It made me think of your garden art thread — maybe that sort of moving art will help direct the deer away from areas you don’t want them feeling comfortable in.

...Windmill type (moving, flashing), Japanese deer-chaser type (sudden clacking sound... though the water might attract them more than chase... hm), or wind chime type (wood/bamboo clattering or metal high-tone chimes and deep bongs.... windmill windup-and-release gong....)

xtron
Cool Member

two best ways to fix deer, if you don't really care for the taste...
1...jerky. find a good recipie and run the heck out of the dryer. if friends want to give me parts of their deer, I ask for what can make jerky.

2. grind everything that can't be cut for jerky into burger. mix 50/50 with cheap hamburger...the 70/30 works good... and make manwich. both my kids refuse to ear venison, but can't get enough of deer manwich.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

For non-USian types here, the manwich reference is not about skinned knuckles, but is a savory red sauce that combined with cooked ground meat is eaten on buns. Favored by teenagers. Pretty good, though.

Haven't had venison for a quarter century or more. Rabbit, yeah, but that was farm raised. Deer are quite a bit smaller here, although I suppose the same species. Key deer are another genus, and they are about the size of a Labrador retriever.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”