tomf
Super Green Thumb

Spring work to be done?

Now the busy yard time starts and all the equipment will need a going through. I have a few projects to do, will post as they get done. So what are your plans for spring in the yard.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like me. Last year I did a whole house exterior paint job and this year I've gotten into my 10 x 20 ft. storage shed in the back yard to replace 2 of the walls, completely down to the slab including new framing and exterior sheet goods.

I'm getting ready to head outside to tackle the roof by removing the tin, along with all the roof joists and ceiling joists that have had old termite damage to them and are to a point the shed is in dire need of a refurbishing. I'll get the treated lumber to do the framing and new tin for the roof and replace it by the weekend. At least the weather has been nice and comfortable to do the work without sweating through the clothes, but summer is fast approaching down south.

applestar
Mod

Last ice/frozen mix storm followed by heavy snow took down many of my aging (10th year) and/or flimsy trellises and even anti-rabbit/groundHOG fencing that were supported by wooden and bamboo stakes as fenceposts. Admittedly they were already on their last legs.

We are currently in the midst of similar weather conditions that are threatening to take down a few more things that had been “overlooked”.

So, yeah, I’m looking at a pretty significant structural overhaul for my various garden enclosures and supports this spring. I’m trying to stay positive and looking at this as a chance for re-design/do-over of some major elements that had been needing it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh yeah, let's see... we are just finishing painting the whole outside of our house. We just built a 24' x 24' square picket fence around the main garden area, but now all those pickets need painting. Deck needs refinishing. We added new front steps to our front porch, but now we are laying a paver walk way to it, so all those pavers need to be set in. And I have two more quarters of my big concrete block circle garden to build. THEN I can start gardening! :shock:

I will be really glad when I can do more gardening and less building!!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Oh yeah, let's see... we are just finishing painting the whole outside of our house. We just built a 24' x 24' square picket fence around the main garden area, but now all those pickets need painting. Deck needs refinishing. We added new front steps to our front porch, but now we are laying a paver walk way to it, so all those pavers need to be set in. And I have two more quarters of my big concrete block circle garden to build. THEN I can start gardening! :shock:

I will be really glad when I can do more gardening and less building!!
I look at it this way-----"Sweat Equity". All my home projects just add value to the house, or at the very least, appealing to the eye. My back shed was in deplorable condition and in a matter of a week of fairly hard work, it will be back to being nice and structurally sound. Of course it is hammering the checking account with right at $1000 in materials by jobs end.

At least the labor is cheap. :-()

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Keeping tomato seedlings "warm" in the green house during this crazy Spring
Moving a "waterfall" from one side of my house more to lake front.
Spreading 27tons of Ag Lime, primarily on wildlife food plots, but larger garden areas also.
Growing 100s of little hydrangea plants from cuttings
Spending great time with grandkids in Atlanta where I got kissed by a sea otter
Had to revise my floating dock attachment to pier, since rough waters removed one pole

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Still trying to finish rehabbing my front yard picket fence, a project that began in Spring, 2017. Replacing the rails and scraping, wire brushing the pickets before repainting everything. Hopefully, I won't have more posts to pull out and replace :? .

Let's see, how did I report my recent progress to the DD with the MBA ..?

Something like: I've now finished 5/7th of what I did in 2017! If I can rehab 2/7th more, I'll only have 5/21st left for 2019! It's a long, slow process but for a retired guy who has to hang around and tend seedlings in the greenhouse in changeable Spring weather, maybe not a foolish activity choice.

Steve :wink:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I will take the lake, that is what is missing from my place.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Well, the weekend came and went but the supply house couldn't have my roofing material ready until today, so I picked it up and installed the roofing and flashing today to get the shed water-tight because we have rain coming the next couple days.

But the weekend wasn't a bust even though the shed was on hold. I bought a 40 lb. sack of crawfish Saturday morning and boiled them with potatoes, onions, celery, garlic, mushrooms, corn, smoked sausage and the requisite seasoning and had a few friends over for a crawfish boil. They were good and hot and the beer good and cold. Don't get any better than that, especially the way the weather cooperated with mild temperatures and a nice cool breeze.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Pulled some blackberries along the road and I will plant ferns there, used the grapple and backhoe to get them out. Working on a new patio area. I have to make a entrance to the crawl space. Still cleaning up logs and trees, some small ones to cut down to be able to get the tractor in to clean up. Working on a foundation to a out building, see how far I get putting that up. working on all. The equipment to ready it, funny how much work that can be. Lots to do inside and out. I have to have my jobs done, the house ready and the firewood done by September as I will be getting a new knee then.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:Pulled some blackberries along the road and I will plant ferns there, used the grapple and backhoe to get them out. Working on a new patio area. I have to make a entrance to the crawl space. Still cleaning up logs and trees, some small ones to cut down to be able to get the tractor in to clean up. Working on a foundation to a out building, see how far I get putting that up. working on all. The equipment to ready it, funny how much work that can be. Lots to do inside and out. I have to have my jobs done, the house ready and the firewood done by September as I will be getting a new knee then.
And in the minute and a half you have between now and September, what do you plan on doing then???? I suggest relax a bit for 90 seconds and recharge your batteries and get back to work-----------------------you slacker. :P :P

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”