gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Re: International/multi-cultural holidays

digitS' wrote:World Naked Gardening Day is celebrated on the first Saturday of May! That's Saturday, May 5, 2018.
World Naked Gardening Day is celebrated on the first Saturday of May! That's Saturday, May 5, 2018.
World Naked Gardening Day is celebrated on the first Saturday of May! That's Saturday, May 5, 2018.

Have I mentioned that the World Naked Gardening Day is celebrated on the first Saturday of May! That's Saturday, May 5, 2018? Yes?? Well, it bares repeating!

Steve :D
Boy, are my neighbors going to be upset. Getting my 65 yr. old butt out in the back yard for them to gaze upon is going to set neighborly harmony back to the stone ages. I probably couldn't make and give away enough of my homemead banana nut bread to mend those fences.

Things that make them go EWWWW.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dear Quaker lady Ruth Stout did naked gardening every day when she was in her 90's!

imafan26
Mod

Happy Pi day. It is a mathematics celebration of the irrational number Pi. My nephew's wedding anniversary is today. He is a statistician and loves anything math related. ( I just get by...poorly). On pi day you do quirky fun things like eat pies (a pun on the word pi) and it is also round. Pizza's, pi designed cupcakes and cookies and anything round. Dressing like Einstein ( it also happens to be his birthday). Basically it is a nerd holiday.

applestar
Mod

This isn’t exactly a holiday, but apparently, this type of summer festival/party is “a thing” in Japan. It kind of reminds me of “panning for gold” attraction at various festivals and theme parks here in the U.S.

Gumbo’s post reminded me — I Bet his BIL could host one of these if he has all that bamboo :D

Subject: New from Bay Springs, Mississippi
gumbo2176 wrote:Edited to add this: Still pales in comparison to some species of bamboo that can grow up to 3 ft. in a single day. That stuff is way more invasive than banana plants. My brother-in-law planted some a few years ago along his back fence near a corner and in just 3 years it had spread all along the fence line, into the neighbors yard on 2 sides and grew to over 20 ft. tall.
This is an example of eating utencils they make from the bamboo for the occasion, as well as the “noodle stream” aqueduct.

Nagashi Soumen

applestar
Mod

I thought this was funny! He is using two kinds of gourmet somen (Japanese angelhair) noodles PLUS Spaghetti Squash harvested from his garden, and sending cherry tomatoes down the aqueduct, too! ... which even adults found were difficult to grab with chopsticks when the smooth round fruits are bobbing along a fast flowing “stream” :lol:

竹で流し台作って流しそうめんカボチャ!ミニトマトも流すよ
Craft an Aquaduct with Bamboo and Noodle Stream Spaghetti Swuash! Cherry Tomatoes, too.
【野菜の食べ方】2019年8月16日
[Ways to Eat Vegetables] 2019, Aug. 16

...I always prepared spaghetti squash with tomato-based pasta sauce or cream style sauce, but looks like it goes well with Japanese soy sauce-based noodle dipping sauce — you can buy those in concentrate type or ready-to-use type in bottles. “Men (noodle) Tsuyu (sauce)” “Soba Tsuyu” — I like the kind made with dried bonito fish + kelp/konbu broth/extracts.

...like this Yamaki brand (this is the one in our pantry right now)
Or maybe this Kikkoman brand

...adding this link to a manga episode (March Comes in Like a Lion Ep. 42) ...first half of it — I thought this was kind of a fun portrayal
https://www.crunchyroll.com/march-comes ... ear-759327
Last edited by applestar on Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added a manga link

webmaster
Site Admin

I think I wouldn't want to be the person at the bottom end of that tube. :)

imafan26
Mod

It seems that there is a holiday for everything.
The third week of September is National Indoor Plant Week

https://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholi ... t-week.htm

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”