applestar
Mod

International/multi-cultural holidays

My iOS calendar is adding more multi-cultural holidays than ever before. I didn’t know what Holi was, marked in red for today's Holiday, but since Google is highlighting it today as well, I looked it up:

Holi is a Hindu spring festival celebrated in the Indian subcontinent, also known as the "festival of colours". Wikipedia

Holi in India: before and after – in pictures | Art and design | The Guardian <<< use the slide bar to see them change
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... n-pictures

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

love those Hindu festivals! :) Diwali is their fall/winter festival of lights with little clay pots of oil burning:

lots of wonderful food, houses all cleaned up and decorated, little gifts, sweets, sand paintings, fireworks, four to six days of celebrating, everything very colorful and joyous.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

March 3rd is World Wildlife Day.

It was so proclaimed by the UN General Assembly following the adoption of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.

In 2018 the theme is “Big cats: predators under threat" LINK

:) Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was so proclaimed by the UN General Assembly following the adoption of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Wow! What happened here?

The comments never showed to have posted last night.

Please delete!

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

OK, OK, we get it------March 3rd is World Wildlife Day. Looks like someone started their St. Patrick's Day celebrating a bit early. :lol:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was late.

I have more excuses if you care to hear them.

large_zpskmw2utne.gif
large_zpskmw2utne.gif (520.98 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
Steve

Mods, you can delete this one, too.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

In the interest of keeping with the celebratory theme, remember it's always five o'clock somewhere.

I'm fine with different holidays. Sometimes we lose sight of the original meaning. That's the way of the world. Nothing is constant save change. I'm also fine with made up celebrations unless they are transparently money and gift grubbing. Okay, so secretaries often do deserve a special acknowledgement day.

For years there were three cultural festivals happening on the same weekend where I lived. Cinco de Mayo, Maibaumfest, and a Greek festival. I could not attend all three. Spent anywhere from six hours to twenty at the Greek festival spread over three days. I did not have obligations to perform at any of them, although sometimes my International Folk Dance ensemble did, and Schuhplattlers would occasionally show up in Bavarian costume and dance to bazouki with us.

I joked that I looked like St Pauli girl in my dirndl and braids, so I understood when other festival goers would ask me what part of Germany I was from, and got a kick out of it when old Greek yayas berated my husband for not marrying a Greek girl. Although a couple of times people asked me about my Greek heritage because I would do impromptu Greek dance instructions. Part of my affinity for folk dance is acquiring gestures typical of native dancers. People would recognize that something told them I was from Athens or Munich, but couldn't say what. I nearly always put on full dumb blonde attitude and chirped that I was from Philly. Not dumb, and not actually Philly. Oddly, no one ever thought I was Latina. One Greek band leader would always play a polka as soon as he saw us. In a restaurant with dancing, we'd often get comped, or sometimes an appetizer or bottle of wine for our table, and sometimes a new table would be rushed out to place us on the edge of the floor near the band. The ex was really good at Tinikling, a Philippine dance with long bamboo poles, and we both did samba and hora and cotton-eyed Joe.

One thing I learned with all that dancing and music and singing and costuming is that Americans really soften up our expression of other cultures. So second generation Greco-American kids bring ballet or martial arts training to their Greek dance routines, and forget the attire the originators of the dance wore, or where they danced. It's not better, and it's really not worse. Music and dance are dynamic, always changing. Culture changes over time and place, too. Some Irish in Ireland would not think that I am very Irish, but I claim that as part of my identity. St Padraigh or St Pat? Depends on if you're from Galway or Boston. Down to raw numbers most Irish identified people in the world could not spell Padraigh.

Remember there's a Festivus for the Rest of Us.

imafan26
Mod

March 3 in Japan is Girl's day. Boys day is May 5. Momo no sekku or hinamatsuri is also called peach blossom festival. Families celebrate with the girls making paper dolls and girls are gifted or display their dolls on a red mat. The dolls represent figures from a Heian wedding party. Girls celebrate with parties with their friends. Some dolls have been handed down for generations.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Every summer in Italian American neighborhoods, there will be festivals for particular saints. St Anthony De Padua for one. There would be an enclave within the greater neighborhood that could trace genealogy back to cities or regions in Italy where a particular saint was their patron. Ostensibly, the initial parade around the blocks was an expression of that identity and devotion to their saint. After that, all bets were off. Food, street vendors, ethnic pride, maybe music and carnival rides or attractions. Generally, several blocks would be closed to auto traffic for at least two evenings.

At one, strapping young men hoisted on their shoulders a festooned wooden platform with a plaster Virgin Mary. They paraded her through the streets and collected an enthusiastic crowd with the impromptu strolling band that followed them. Mary's traditional color scheme of blue and white would be buried under garlands of dollar bills streaming from her mantle. Old ladies in black would lean out their second story windows and pass out yet another strand of bills to be fastened to the statue.

Each bakery in town would have a booth set up and sell assorted pastries. I'm a traditional cannoli fan, but it was a good time for anyone to try out the different bakeries style. Pistachio, cinnamon, glaceed fruit, chocolate bits, confectioners sugar. Unfortunately, cannoli doesn't keep well over night.

Un sono un turista. Io vivo que. (I am not a tourist. I live here.) Yeah, tell that to the aforementioned old ladies who would spit on the sidewalk in front of me and make the Sign of the Cross or the malocchio charm. Blue eyed blonde with ghostly pallor? Must be a witch! lolz. Good times.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

So when is national garden day?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

World Naked Gardening Day is celebrated on the first Saturday of May! That's Saturday, May 5, 2018.
World Naked Gardening Day is celebrated on the first Saturday of May! That's Saturday, May 5, 2018.

Have I mentioned that the World Naked Gardening Day is celebrated on the first Saturday of May! That's Saturday, May 5, 2018? Yes?? Well, it bares repeating!

Steve :D

imafan26
Mod

There is a National Public Gardens day on May 11.
May 1 is Lei Day in Hawaii
Hawaii's Arbor Day is the First Friday in November. On the mainland it is celebrated in Spring, but November is a better time of year for us to plant a tree.
Ok 47 days before Easter is Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras, Carnival), 46 days before Easter is Ash Wednesday or the first day of Lent. Easter is always on a Sunday and it changes every year.
Chinese New year is based on a lunar Calendar so it changes every year. In the Lunar calendar it is the year 4716 which started on January 23,2018. It is Wu Xu, the Year of the Dog. It celebrates the coming of Spring
The beginnings of the Chinese calendar can be traced back to the 14th century B.C.E. Legend has it that the Emperor Huangdi invented the calendar in 2637 B.C.E. The Chinese calendar is based on exact astronomical observations of the longitude of the sun and the phases of the moon. There is no perfect calendar but the most accurate was the Persian calendar invented in the second millenium that was off less than 1 second per year or 1 day in every 110,000 years. The Gregorian calendar is off by more than 27 seconds/year or 1 day in 3236 years and that is why a Leap year is needed to realign it.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:World Naked Gardening Day is celebrated on the first Saturday of May! That's Saturday, May 5, 2018.

Have I mentioned that the World Naked Gardening Day is celebrated on the first Saturday of May! That's Saturday, May 5, 2018? Yes?? Well, it bares repeating!

Steve :D
Boy, are my neighbors going to be upset. Getting my 65 yr. old butt out in the back yard for them to gaze upon is going to set neighborly harmony back to the stone ages. I probably couldn't make and give away enough of my homemead banana nut bread to mend those fences.

Things that make them go EWWWW.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dear Quaker lady Ruth Stout did naked gardening every day when she was in her 90's!

imafan26
Mod

Happy Pi day. It is a mathematics celebration of the irrational number Pi. My nephew's wedding anniversary is today. He is a statistician and loves anything math related. ( I just get by...poorly). On pi day you do quirky fun things like eat pies (a pun on the word pi) and it is also round. Pizza's, pi designed cupcakes and cookies and anything round. Dressing like Einstein ( it also happens to be his birthday). Basically it is a nerd holiday.

applestar
Mod

This isn’t exactly a holiday, but apparently, this type of summer festival/party is “a thing” in Japan. It kind of reminds me of “panning for gold” attraction at various festivals and theme parks here in the U.S.

Gumbo’s post reminded me — I Bet his BIL could host one of these if he has all that bamboo :D

Subject: New from Bay Springs, Mississippi
gumbo2176 wrote:Edited to add this: Still pales in comparison to some species of bamboo that can grow up to 3 ft. in a single day. That stuff is way more invasive than banana plants. My brother-in-law planted some a few years ago along his back fence near a corner and in just 3 years it had spread all along the fence line, into the neighbors yard on 2 sides and grew to over 20 ft. tall.
This is an example of eating utencils they make from the bamboo for the occasion, as well as the “noodle stream” aqueduct.

Nagashi Soumen

applestar
Mod

I thought this was funny! He is using two kinds of gourmet somen (Japanese angelhair) noodles PLUS Spaghetti Squash harvested from his garden, and sending cherry tomatoes down the aqueduct, too! ... which even adults found were difficult to grab with chopsticks when the smooth round fruits are bobbing along a fast flowing “stream” :lol:

竹で流し台作って流しそうめんカボチャ!ミニトマトも流すよ
Craft an Aquaduct with Bamboo and Noodle Stream Spaghetti Swuash! Cherry Tomatoes, too.
【野菜の食べ方】2019年8月16日
[Ways to Eat Vegetables] 2019, Aug. 16

...I always prepared spaghetti squash with tomato-based pasta sauce or cream style sauce, but looks like it goes well with Japanese soy sauce-based noodle dipping sauce — you can buy those in concentrate type or ready-to-use type in bottles. “Men (noodle) Tsuyu (sauce)” “Soba Tsuyu” — I like the kind made with dried bonito fish + kelp/konbu broth/extracts.

...like this Yamaki brand (this is the one in our pantry right now)
Or maybe this Kikkoman brand

...adding this link to a manga episode (March Comes in Like a Lion Ep. 42) ...first half of it — I thought this was kind of a fun portrayal
https://www.crunchyroll.com/march-comes ... ear-759327
Last edited by applestar on Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added a manga link

webmaster
Site Admin

I think I wouldn't want to be the person at the bottom end of that tube. :)

imafan26
Mod

It seems that there is a holiday for everything.
The third week of September is National Indoor Plant Week

https://www.holidayinsights.com/moreholi ... t-week.htm

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”