Ksk
Cool Member

I need inspiration.Brag about you garden...we all understand

This cutie could win at the state fair (but I am biased after all).
I can't get the guts to pick it. Bushel basket gourd
Attachments
IMG_0184.JPG

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I was too busy this year building a greenhouse, not the one in my next post but a new bigger one, a tool shed and a big wood shed so I did not plant vegetables this summer. One of my neighbors planted way too much so we have been getting fresh vegetables. We got a 5 gallon bucket of tomatos today.
Last edited by tomf on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I do not know if this is worth bargging rights but your post needed some garden photos, so here is the last garden I planted.
Attachments
garden_DSC0029.JPG
garden_DSC0023.JPG
garden_DSC0028.JPG
garden_DSC0025.JPG
garden_DSC0012.JPG
garden_DSC0005.JPG
garden_DSC0003.JPG

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:I was too busy this year building a greenhouse, not the one in my next post but a new bigger one, a tool shed and a big wood shed so I did not plant vegetables this summer. One of my neighbors planted way too much so we have been getting fresh vegetables. We got a 5 gallon bucket of tomatos today.

I found myself in your boat this summer Tom. I did that whole house exterior paint job and my garden was neglected for the most part. I had decent growth and harvest in the early and late spring, but didn't even plant okra this year since it is a plant that needs daily picking once it starts producing. My summer garden was pretty much what survived from the early spring planting-----and most of it didn't.

But, I'm full bore now with seeds and started plants in the ground for the fall/winter garden. I still have 1 row about 45 ft. long empty at the moment and will fill it with a second planting of cabbage and cauliflower in another month or so.

Ksk
Cool Member

Tom,
Total bragging rights. I better get busy planning for next year. Photos were welcome and inspiring!!!

Ksk
Cool Member

Gumbo, Building a greenhouse will be closer to my retirement but anyone with a green house is a cut above in my experience. I will need a solar fan due to the heat here. A definite "Honey Do."

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have built 2 greenhouses so far, one small 8x12 and one large 20x20, I put in power to run fans and lights, etc. You can find on line calculators for exust fans requirements on line. Just figure your cubic feet and location and plug in the numbers.

xtron
Cool Member

not a year to brag about. I let 1/2 my area ... 3000 square feet ... go fallow .. it's been producing for 7 years now. it started out as an experiment, just to see how good the soil was, and kind of grew, and grew, and grew.
I didn't keep track, exactly, but I harvested ...
enough tomatos to can 38 pints of tomato sauce, and all that we wanted in salads and sandwiches, and took a 5 gallon pail to the mother-in-law
sweet corn..canned 24 pints, froze 3 dozen ears and gave away 2 dozen more.
potatoes Pontiac reds, Burbank russets, and kennybecks. around 25 pounds each
peas 8 pints canned and 8 frozen
cabbage a dozen heads, mostly slaw and 6 pints canned
black beans 15 pounds dried and shelled
red beans 10 pounds dried and shelled
pinto beans 20 pounds dried and shelled
onions, reds and whites...a 1/2 gallon of each dehydrated and another 10 pounds each stored away
okra 1/2 gallon dehydrated on the shelf, and it's still producing..expect another 1/2 gallon minimum
brussel sprouts waiting for the first hard freeze...looks like 20-30 pints, so it dun good
rhubarb..3 cuttings, could have been 4, about 3 gallons cut and frozen
blackberrys 5 gallons
the peach tree produced 6 dozen peaches..
the cherry trees produced a few cherries that I managed to keep the birds away from

next year I swap ends.

this year I planted in 4X4 squares and laid cardboard between. next year I will try 4 foot wide rows and, like this year, plant as tightly as possible, square foot method.
hopefully the asperagras bed will finally produce more than a couple shoots.

keep your fingernails dirty folks

Ksk
Cool Member

Xtron
I let an area of my garden go fallow too but last year. It came out gangbusters this year. I am an asparagus failure thus far but remain undetered and will attempt planting again. Your garden sounds like a monster!!

Ksk
Cool Member

Tomf
That is good advice on a green house. I am only beginning to research what to build.
Are those greenhouse kits any good or did you build from the bottom up?
I worry about the wind out here as there is 100 miles of nothing (I guess that is a view) out the back door and it just howls in the spring.

xtron
Cool Member

the wife calls my garden "his mistress" because it keeps me busy all summer in the evenings. she doesn't mind that most days, I spend more time with "my mistress" than I do with her. she get hers in the fall and winter when she is eating the results.
it's a large garden, but over the years I've developed ways of making the job easier, less time consuming, and more productive.
but I am always learning, always trying something new, and always adapting to new, better ways to do things. that's one big attraction to this site, you all know things I don't, have tried things I haven't thought of, and are willing to share your methods and results.
keep digging folks

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The small one was a kit I got from Harbor fright, the panels blow out too easy, don't get this one. I will be fixing it with new polycarboate panels. The other one is a wood frame one built like a house or barn and uses polycarbonate panels. I made this one to withstand high winds many time stronger than any snow load we could get. I posted photos of it but here it is.
Attachments
_DSC0027 copy.jpg
_DSC0026-3 copy.jpg
_DSC0025 copy.jpg

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”