gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Re: Hurricane Harvey

xtron, take it from someone who's been there, it is a long tough road to recovery. It is doable if they have the desire to remain in that community, but it will be a long, slow process. It is hard to remove yourself from a community, especially if you've invested a lot of time, money and energy in making it work for you and you have seen your future in it

When Katrina hit N.O. it happened just as our daughter was starting her second year of high school. My wife found a place to live 60 miles outside N.O. and a school for Kristan to attend to keep her in as normal a situation as possible while we dealt with the day to day things to help us get back home. I invested a ton of time getting the house back in shape to move home, and when we finally did, we were only one of 2 families on the block to do so. Fast forward to about 5 years down the line and all homes in my area were pretty much occupied or being repaired. But it does take time.

To be perfectly honest, I'm going through a lot of remembering what that was like, and even now, it is a bit unsettling to recall all we went through before any semblance of normalcy set in. Like I posted earlier, I'd not want to go through that ever again.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Gumbo, I'd think there'd be a perverse sense of pride in enduring the unendurable. It demonstrates a degree of fortitude that most people can't muster.

imafan26
Mod

People will just have to help each other rebuild, one house, one life at a time. Those who have skills and less damage will be able to get their homes up first. It will be the poor, elderly and those who really don't have a lot of skills or resources to help them, that will have to wait the longest.
On Kauai, habitat for humanity helped get a lot of people back in their homes. They knew how to organize unskilled volunteers and get the materials donated or affordable and they were able to build sturdy structures and restored lives one house at a time.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Xtron -

......bet you by next Monday you have a hard time finding any new reports on Houston or any other Texas disaster area as reported by the "main stream media". any takers??

That's a "Sucker Bet". nutz:

imafan26
Mod

It depends on Donald's next tweet! Diana's twentieth anniversary might knock some things out.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Imafan -

LMFAO

You are being bad.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:Xtron -

......bet you by next Monday you have a hard time finding any new reports on Houston or any other Texas disaster area as reported by the "main stream media". any takers??

That's a "Sucker Bet". nutz:
Does anyone even know about this? It did not happen in the USA so most news sources do not even talk about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/29/worl ... ml?mcubz=3

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/8/30/162 ... -1000-dead

tomf
Super Green Thumb

This is one of the worsted storms for damage and I feel for the people there. How ever one needs to be careful of scams that will happen now. If you want to help find out where your money is going.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Good point Tom,

We frequently forget that we are not the center of the universe.

Thanks

DITTO on the tip about scams.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

If what happens there is anything like what happened in New Orleans after Katrina, then folks needing repairs need to be extra diligent in picking a contractor to do the work.

We had a huge influx of men that touted themselves as carpenters/contractors and in reality, all they thought they needed was a pickup truck, power saw, ruler and a few other hand tools and they were going to make a killing. These types cost many people untold thousands of dollars in things that needed to be fixed by a competent contractor when all was said and done.

I wound up helping out a couple of friends once I had my house back in order and the shoddy workmanship was incredible. I went to a friends house while the guy was there doing the trim work and my friend called me to come by to take a look at it. All it took me was to look around the entrance foyer and I told the guy to pack up and leave.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”