tomf
Super Green Thumb

Infused water

I had some at a hospital when waiting for my wife to get checked out. So I found some recipes on the net. This one is lemon, lime. cucumber and ginger cut up in slices. You just let what you add seep into the water, you can keep adding water to it when you drink some. It gives the water a nice flavor and adds vitamins and good things to the water with out much calories, some recipes say no calories. It is a way of getting us to drink more water and less juice. The cucumber in it is good, who would have thought.

applestar
Mod

Sounds like a good combo -- have to get some fresh limes... and then if my cucumbers will just get past the initial boy flowers stage and start producing.... :D

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I did an orange, a lemon and a lime, I like that combo better. Does anyone know how long you can keep refilling and using it?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hey Tom,

I had infused water for the first time on out "Girl's Trip" to Arkansas. We had lunch in a dumpling shop in Little Rock and they had cucumber infused water. I loved it. So bright and fresh. Like summer in my mouth.

Infused water was on my must do list. I forgot about it until last week. I was browsing the kitchen aisle at Walmart and saw infusion pitchers. Brain click. Have to try infused water.

I made a simple cucumber infusion for my first go round. Loved it. I want to try cucumber and mint. I love the idea of adding ginger. I also want to try berries - strawberry/raspberry combination. Peaches would be lovely. Grapes - cut in half to expose the flavorful flesh.

I drink a good bit of water but found myself drinking even more because it was so flavorful and refreshing.

Thanks for the tip on adding more water. I thought it was a once and done deal.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

As for how long you can use the same fruits/veg/herbs, use until you think they are looking sad. So pineapple or cucumber spears might start to look softish at the edges and angles in two days soaking, basil and mint might drop leaves in one day, but roselle will keep coloring and flavoring the water for probably a week, just guessing.

Berries go soft awfully fast, so they might be once and done.

It's not that the flavor isn't still there, it's more a matter of bacterial proliferation.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I tried cucumber and ginger. LOVE IT! That little bite of ginger is perfect with the cucumber.

On his pre-surgery diet George was eating fruit 3 times per day. I stocked up on grapes, blueberries, peaches, raspberries and plums. He had to stop eating fruit today. SOOO - fruit infusion. I just put a pitcher of peach infusion in the refrigerator. I think that will be a once and done. My next pitcher will be the plums. Another once and done.

Next will be the raspberries. Then grapes.

I have some silicon molds for making large ice cubes. I think I will freeze some of my infused water. I will be spending my time at the hospital Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning. I have a 32 oz. Yetti knock-off mug that is an extension of my arm. I can bring a bag of infused ice cubes and have lovely water to keep me refreshed while sitting around for hours in the hospital.

Tom, I am so glad you brought up this topic. I am now an infused water junkie! :-()

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Strawberries and raspberries made a great infusion. I finally got around to making an apple cinnamon infusion. :-() Baked apples with cinnamon in a glass :!:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That is a good idea making ice cubes, we take a water bottle and fill it part way and freeze it, then when we want to use it just add more water.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I use to make a drink by a different name? It was any combinations of the following, orange, lemon, lime, pineapple, grapes, peaches, apples, berries, more, water, sugar, ice, it made a great summer time drink. About 90% water and ice. Heavy Water.

YoungGardener94
Newly Registered

I love lemon and lime infused water, it does wonders for the digestive system and helps clean you out. I tend to drink in moderation though to preserve my enamel :()

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”