gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

OK, it's official

At least according to my 32 yr. old stepson who popped in this weekend for a quick visit. He has been in Las Vegas since mid June of 2016 and flew in early yesterday morning (Friday) for a quick visit here in New Orleans, where he'd lived most of his adult life prior to moving to Vegas.

He Ubered to the house at daybreak yesterday morning and when I met him at the door he had 2 things to say. First was how nice the house looked with the new paint job I had spent 3 months doing in the spring months and then how oppressively hot the weather is with our humid conditions and how he surely didn't miss that aspect of life here.

He's a smoker, so every time he walked out to the porch to light up and smoke, he'd come back in and complain about the heat and how even in the shade it was disgusting. According to him, even when it's well over 100 in Vegas, once you get in some shade, it is not at all uncomfortable since the air doesn't feel like it's sticking to you because of low humidity.

Guess I'll have to go out there to see for myself exactly how much difference there is between our two climates, but I'm still a bit skeptical since I've seen Vegas temperatures in the one-teens on many occasions when checking out the weather channel.

jeff84

humidity makes a big difference, but even more important is the dew point. 90 degrees with 30 percent humidity is much more comfortable than 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity. and the lower the dew point the more comfortable as well. I'm not a meteorologist but dew point, temp, and humidity are all tied together somehow.

if you are just looking for an excuse to go to vegas. you don't need one, you are grown

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It is true humidity makes the heat far worse, and it brings it into the sade even. I would rather have dry heat.

imafan26
Mod

The humidity is what keeps the actual temperature down in the tropics. Without it, the temperatures would be even hotter than Arizona or Las Vegas. You also have to remember in those places, most people don't go out in the middle of the day and everything is air conditioned inside.

It definitely feels hotter when it is humid and it can be uncomfortably sticky especially if you don't wear the right clothes.
It feels more like a sauna than a desert. At least I don't have problems with nose bleeds with humidity.

It isn't so bad when there is a good cooling breeze but it can feel a lot hotter when it is humid and there is no wind at all.

It would seem worse to someone who isn't used to it. If you live with it all the time, you get acclimated and most days you don't really notice. However, in summer, we all notice it. Good time to head for the beach or to a movie.

It is 68 degrees now with 87% humidity and predicted to go up to 86. We have trades 9-22 miles per hour. It will be hot out in the sun without a hat, but the shade will be fine with the breezes coming through.

But, you know it is not a bad time of the year to visit Las Vegas, as long as you stay indoors.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”