Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Typos, auto correct, my computer, all driving me nuts. LOL

I type things to post on the forum then I proof read it, lots of typos, lots of words that make no sense, lots of words missing. Something is wrong with this old computer I can type faster than letters show up on the screen and I don't type very fast these days. I proof read what I typed, fixed all the typos, fix the strange words that make no sense, put in the missing words, then post. Next day I read what I posted, wow was I asleep when I typed that or what? It still makes no sense so I fix it again. I am glad the Edit option does not go away for several days.

applestar
Mod

Auto-correct drives me insane! There should be option to download (for free) specialty volcabulary packages. I would like one for botanical terms. I type them correctly -- I watch myself type correctly -- and the thing changes the words into something completely different and INCORRECT!

Also, I want a way to turn off or get rid of big name performers and companies as the first option to auto-correct into. ugh! Is that some kind of sponsorship?

I don't want to turn off auto-correct altogether because it IS useful for hurried and typical mis-keyed misspellings.

Gary350, if you are typing on a keyboard, have you cleaned it recently? Ages ago when I worked as tech support, secretaries used to call and complain about the keyboard "not working" and first thing I used to do on arrival at their desk was to turn the keyboard over and see what fell out -- cookie, cake and bread crumbs, paper clips, bobby pins.... Many keyboards had sticky stains and dried up sticky soda, juice, and/or coffee stains on the outside as well as inside, not to mention the dust bunnies. LOL

imafan26
Mod

Yeah, my laptop is getting pretty old and the amd chip is notorius for overheating. When the chip overheats, some of the keys don't work and the shift and control sometimes stick so I cannot make caps very well unless I turn caps on and off. When the chip gets too hot the computer just shuts down.

My bigger issue is with Windows10 updates. The last one took hours and now my computer is running really slow and freezing up. I tried to find mr fixit but it looks like microsoft discontinued that tool. In July, we will have to start paying for the crappy windows 10. I have a computer I bought over a year ago in the box when I thought this one was done for and it has windows 8.1 on it. While I don't mind 8.1 although I am used to windows 7 better, neither one will be supported by microsoft. I am in a quandry as to what I should do. I don't want to pay for crappy windows 10 and the bite eating updates, but I don't want to leave my computer vulnerable either. I am going to try to see if a office libre will recognize my word 2010. Because I don't want to pay more than once for office either.

I only have autocorrect issues when I am trying to make lists or indent sections. If I roll it back at least three times it gives up. However, some indents I can't seem to alter no matter what I do so I just live with it. I have turned off my spellcheck. I did that so long ago that I don't know how to turn it on again so that is why I end up with so many misspelled words. It is ok because I have a harder time having to correct proper nouns and foreign words it cannot recognize.

webmaster
Site Admin

and the amd chip is notorius for overheating.
Do you ever open up your computer and clean out the dust with an air can? Doing so helps keep the blue screen and hang ups away, especially on older computers. Should be done at least once a year.

imafan26
Mod

I just used the air can through the vent holes. Thanks, I'll try that, at this point the computer won't last much longer if it keeps overheating.

webmaster
Site Admin

Definitely unplug everything then open it up and blow the dust completely out of the case. Try not to touch anything as static electricity could kill some components. The computer will run better and quieter.

Albert_136

I've a laptp hooked up to a big flatscreen and an old wireless keyboar. If I don't correct anything myself it looks like this.

Or ometimes like this.

Most common is missing letters at the beginning of words. I've no autocorrect.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes between going on line when I wake up and start drinking coffee and auto correct it can be fun sometimes. When I write something long and see no mistakes I am surprised. Also when using wifi it sometimes is slow so this adds to the issue when you type faster than it responds to. Writing is not my best skill.

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

imafan26
Mod

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”