tomf
Super Green Thumb

Photobucket problems.

To copy a link the short cuts do not work, I have to click on copy, and sometimes that deos not work and it will paste the link to the photo before it. I then have to edit my posts with photos. Is anyone else having issues with Photobucket? Oh it is not this site it is Photobucket where the problem is.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah for awhile I was having trouble getting it to copy the links. It seems to be something that comes and goes. Sometimes if you just close it down and open it up again it will work better (but not always). But recently its been ok again for me.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was on Photobucket yesterday. It let me copy a photo address, but there were so many ads popping up all the time that it was almost impossible to use. I had been noticing gradually more ads on photobucket than there used to be, but this was ridiculous!

I might have to start working on moving all my photos that are there to Dropbox or Google Drive....

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet (PC magazine click)

PhotoBucket alternatives (Ghack click)

I imagine that caution is called for. Jumping from one to another might be problematic if PhotoBucket just signals a trend.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Yep. My earlier posted images here are unviewable now unless I shell out hundreds of bucks in annual fees. I have no idea what To do. I've been using Flickr for a while now, but who knows for how long they will resist the temptation?

Somebody apparently figured out a way to ... well I'm a bit peeved right now so this might be a bit over-the-top ... but I'll say it anyway -- I feel like Photobucket (which had been bought out by another company and is no longer who they used to be btw) has basically turned themselves into ransomware and is holding all our photos hostage. :evil:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

GRRR .. photobucket has made itself virtually unusable and has a ton of my photos.

I know you can down load them from PB to your computer. But I can't get it to highlight more than one at a time (I know you used to be able to do this on their site). So you would have to open each picture individual do save as and then specify a location on your computer. From your computer, you could move it to Google Drive or DropBox or whatever cloud based app you use.

But way tedious. Does anyone know a way to move them directly from PB to Google Drive or whatever?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I put lower resolution copies of my photos on Photobucket, I use them for the net. I would never just store photos on any cloud. I have 4 hard drives in my computer and a 4T back up hooked up to it plus a hot swappable HD system where I can copy and switch out HD's so I have about 6 HD's on it for storage. This may be over kill but I have storage for everything, some files like video are large so they get there own drive. My only issue is I have a SSHD for my boot drive and it is about 80% full; I would like to get a bigger one or move some of my samples for soft music plug in synthesizers to another SSHD drive I would have to install. The SSHD drives are way faster than normal HDs so sound samples and programs load way faster.

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Best solution to the image hosting issue is to use the free web space that comes with your net connection. All (as far as I know) internet service providers still provide a fair sized chunk of web space with your account, and generally also provide some type of web page builder to go along with it.

If you could manage creating albums and uploading onto photobucket or any similar site, you will not need to learn much, if anything, to utilize that web space you are already paying for - maybe some file management techniques and some vocabulary.

Downsides:
  • Most everything will be manual.
  • You won't have a image gallery to pick from, you will be choosing images by their file names Building simple photo galleries is simple and there are a ton of free apps (many 100 % safe) for it, like Anrieff's Gallery Generator which are easy to use.
  • You are going to be on your own (for the most) part for image resizing and optimizing, again a boat load of safe, free apps. Most Service providers have a limited auto resizer in the WYSIWYG web page builder.
  • Before you close your account with your service provider, you will need to download your "web site". (Right click - "save page as") if you didn't keep a copy on your computer.
It is not hard, might sound a little scary, but it is dirt simple, once you learn the vocabulary and realize the shills you have have already been using still apply in a lot of ways.

Convince a metric-butt-ton of people that something they want is actually a NEED akin O2 and H20, get them hooked on it then make they pay as much as you can for it - that has become the 'merican way.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I know how to download my photos from photobucket to my computer and to upload them from my computer to either my Google Drive or my DropBox account. I was just hoping there was a way to skip that step and go directly from photobucket to Google Drive.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Do you guys store your photos on a hard drive or back up at home as well? Yesterday Photobucket was not working right for me, it would not show any pictures just text.

ID jit
Green Thumb

tomf wrote:Do you guys store your photos on a hard drive or back up at home as well? Yesterday Photobucket was not working right for me, it would not show any pictures just text.
Memory is cheap and easy to use (last years external harddrives and mem sticks). Using the web / cloud as a storage device is not the greatest of ideas. (I'm still using CDR's for stuff like photo originals and a second back up of 40 years fly fishing stuff).

Large amounts of memory can be free or practically free if you are a little creative and a little tech savvy. Have any outdated / old tech lap tops or towers collecting dust anywhere? They my not run this weeks software perfectly, but the store stuff just fine. (I'm using an OLD window XP lap top and and OLD win7 Dell tower with and extra hard drive installed as backup and storage.)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, I'm listening... WHY is it not a great idea to store stuff in the cloud? Think it is going away anytime soon?

ID jit
Green Thumb

Cloud is fine for ease of access storage; it is just not the best option for long term storage in my opinion.

Granted things have gotten a lot better (and more complex) since I was writing web sites when DHTML was all the rage and "shopping carts" and Ajax were first coming into popular use, but servers still crash and melt down, files still corrupt, among a host of other issues. The joke about the cloud being "one stop shopping" for hackers is only half a joke. I think "ransoming" data is the newest fun thing we are going the be dealing with soon, even on home computers.

Having your own uncorrupted copies on hand, just makes things a lot easier when the head or plummet south. No matter how good the digital tech gets, there is no way to completely eliminate the IBM Effect. Hopefully you never mis-click on the upload to the cloud and ship out your tax return or something similar. Once it is up it the cloud, it is up there for good.

The cloud is just another tool in day to day life. You can choose to use the tool or choose to have the tool use you. Only question is how dependent to you want to be on something you cannot influence in any way? Personally, I am careful about trying to eliminate the IBM Effect from my life because is I is an ID jit.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

You ask why do we think using the cloud for your storage is not such a good idea. For one once you upload it to the cloud it is no longer yours, go do a search on Photobucket and you will get to see and copy many other people’s photos, this is why I only post small Jpegs. There are other sites that do not do this but are never the less keeping you stuff you store there and with a change of policy they can hold your data for ransom and extract a bigger payment. Smaller companies can go out of business. You are limited by band with and download upload time. Right now Photobucket is running very slow. A hacker possibly could disrupt or destroy your files. Updates to the site or your system can interfere with accessing your files.
I take my photos in camera raw and store them that way, I upload a JEPG to Photobucket that can be shared at sites like this one.
Last storage at home is cheap, here is a hot swappable system; this is the lowest cost one at less than $30. And hard drives are cheap so you can store many tetra bites of data.

Lastly anything importent to me gets stored in at least two places, not including the cloud, that is extra.

This is an under $30 unit for swapping out hard drives, I use one like it and have about 6 hard drives with data on them that I can plug in to it. They also make backup units in a box, I also use a 4TB one as my Time Machine for my Mac.

This is a link to buy this.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/contro ... sku=877711

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Photobucket is now saying they want you to take the biggest acount and pay a bit extra if you want 3rd party housing. Not sure but I think that means posting from Photoshop to places like this forum. Am I right? Sites that do not house photos on them like this one used to be is the only reason I got Photobucket to start with.

webmaster
Site Admin

We host photos here. I've made adjustments to the software and moved to an entire server in order to be able to host member's photos here.

ID jit
Green Thumb

TomF
You are most definitely right on both counts.

Uploading to photobucket and posting the image here would be 3rd party hosting from photobuckets viewpoint.

The whole reason most people have photobucket (or similar accounts) is for free 3rd party hosting.

I get where photobucket is coming from with this big change..... They are maintaining a huge amount of server space so we can all have free web storage, and I think most of us never actually opt to purchase what ever service photobucket is selling.

From photbuckets viewpoint, people like me (3 accounts and a boat load of images and text docs hidden as GIFs) are just server and bandwidth parasites. I am using there server space and band width for free and never actually purchasing what they are trying to sell. Honestly, I do not even know what photobucket sells or how it makes money. I took the bait without tripping the trap.

I am actually really curious what they are going to do with all of the stuff I have uploaded there. I am too lazy and happinessly-challenged to remove it and/or delete my accounts. Am sure somewhere in the agreement I clicked though without reading there is a clause about fully deleting my account(s) with out notice at any time they want, but doing so is the same as walking a potential customer right out the door and telling them to never come back just because they came in to partake of the free bait and haven't tripped the trap yet.

ID jit
Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:We host photos here. I've made adjustments to the software and moved to an entire server in order to be able to host member's photos here.
That's pretty cool... can you point me to the instructions that I seemed have missed?

Is the Puffer's Pond from the wooded / inlet side in your avatar?

webmaster
Site Admin

That's puffers pond from the main part, at the beach where people sunbathe in the summer. Nobody's there in the fall except the old timers who fish it in the early morning. :)

Here's instructions on how to upload photos.

applestar
Mod

I was thinking how can he tell from that little picture.... and you are saying he's right? It IS Puffers Pond :lol:

ID jit
Green Thumb

Thanks for the directions.

Thought it was. Beautiful place in the pre-dawn and early morning. Ever see a guy there in a woodland fatigue blouse and tan boonie hat scanning the water with a monocular or wading the sand bar on the other side of the channel with a 7' #2 fly rod?

Applestar, lived near there and fished there and the mill river which the pond is a part of for +20 years. That view is absolutely stunning when the foliage kicks. I have a big 3 ring binder about that pond, the river that feeds it the trout, the bugs and modifications to standard trout flies for that place, even a specific fly box for it.

webmaster
Site Admin

Yeah, that's Puffers pond in the early morning, with the mist hanging over the water. Looked beautiful so I took a photo and made it my avatar.

That's a strike indicator I made out of a wine cork that I placed on my line. When a trout takes the bait and swims toward me, the indicator goes down (and the rod never betrays its presence). When a trout takes the bait and swims away, the indicator moves up before the rod bends, so I get the early warning.

Haven't fished Puffers this year but I might get into the Miller during the week if I have time. I fished Lake Mottawa this year and caught some brown trout there, and a brookie in the Swift River. A friend recently caught a couple rainbows in the Deerfield fly fishing with a guide last week.

It's quite beautiful around here, even in the winter. I'm surrounded by trees so the shadows they make on the snowy ground during a full moon evening are beautiful.

ID jit
Green Thumb

Spent a lot of time in the Deerfield at and above still water bridge, in the saw mill in Montague as well. Brookie run in the swift will be here soon. Hex hatch on the miller is long gone, right? The Cold up in Charlemont is very good just above ton convergence with the deerfield, as in the Green in Greenfield

Funny, you and I have probably stood in the same places looking over the same water.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:We host photos here. I've made adjustments to the software and moved to an entire server in order to be able to host member's photos here.
Yes I know and that is one less reason to pay for more storage thatn I would use on Facebook.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I spent a lot of time on the lakes in NH, I helped my dad build a house on a lake there as a summer retreat. Life on a lake is about as good as it gets.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I can not get photobucket to work. I log on advertisements load I try to upload a pic then I get a pot up, then another pop up, nothing is happening, I try to close the pop ups, picture is not loading, wait, wait, wait, picture is not loading. It has been 10 minutes it is not working. I give up. I quit.

I have been using Facebook for a long time to upload photos it works better than photobucket.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”