ttarpcire

How do I get any responses??

I have asked a few questions and I hardly get any answers. Am I not asking the right questions?
Is this a pay for answers site?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

3 of your 9 posts were duplicate posts...and one of those posts about the pine was answered.

With the exception of the aloe questions, everything else was answered.

Like Marlingardener said, patience is key.

If your question isn't being answered, maybe you could bump it by just typing "bump" in the post as a reply. If a specific question isn't being answered completely, feel free to go back to your original post, and ask for a more refined answer, or ask another question in regards to the topic.

Everyone here is super helpful and knowledgeable, but I don't think anyone wants to give information that is incorrect. A lot of times advice requires action from the ask-ee, via money you'll spend on products or replacements. While the advice is suggestive in nature, when it's given it needs to be sound for that reason. I would hate to give advice that would cause you to go spend a bunch of money, or for goodness sakes you cut a tree down!! You smell what I'm stepping in?

ttarpcire

thanks for both of your responses! I smell it, but I thought I stepped in it... haha.

So when you say 3 are duplicate posts, I am confused. 1 is for a small juniper that is in the ground and is turning brown to gray, one is for a large in ground weeping pine tree that is turning tan on the tips but has new growth, and one is for a white pine in a pot that seems to get more dry every time I water it.
I realize that all three are asking about similar trees "turning brown", but they are different issues, I think.
I guess I am feeling frantic to save them, but I can't get any info on how. Perhaps I am not asking the right questions?
The tree in the pot looks like its a gonner, no green left on the needles.
Thanks for the help.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Why don't you go back to the posts that you got responses on and ask the similar questions. That way the person who responded knowledgeably, can give you help with your very similar plants.

2 of the pine posts actually had the same image, though.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I read the post about aloe. I know a little about aloe vera, but I didn't have a sure answer for you. I didn't want to give you bad information.
There are many varieties, and I am not an aloe expert, so it's hard to say if they are all beneficial or not. I like to drink aloe vera juice for health benefits and I did some research a while ago on aloe to help me decide which choice to make, inner leaf aloe vera juice or whole leaf aloe vera juice. What I learned from my research is that there are many varieties of aloe plants beyond the popular aloe vera that is used for health benefits. Based on what I read, there is one aloe plant that is very undesirable, but there aren't very many of them, so it is hard to come by. The most valuable piece of information for me that I learned from my research is that the outer leaf of the aloe vera plant is toxic. This helped me to decide to choose the inner leaf aloe vera juice over the whole leaf aloe vera juice. People who are into whole foods prefer the whole leaf aloe vera juice and are careful to not drink too much of it. The undesirable effect of the outer leaf toxicity is diarrhea, if you drink or eat too much of it. I believe that the inner parts of most aloe vera plants are probably beneficial but I cannot say for sure because there are so many varieties - about 500 is what I recall from my research. I expect that toxicity of the outer leaves could vary from one plant variety to another, so I would be careful about assuming that all aloe plants are entirely beneficial. For example, nightshade kills and nightshade is related to tomatoes and potatoes. Relatives of desirable plants can potentially be toxic and undesirable.

ttarpcire

thank you for the aloe info.

imafan26
Mod

It helps to have a good title in your post. I post a few things and don't get responses too, so you are not alone. Some topics or themes invite others to chime in with their experiences. When you have a specific plant, that is not grown by a lot of people, there won't be a lot of responses because people don't know the answer.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Evergreens may not show much in the way of distress. Too often with junipers (for instance) the deed may already be done, by the time needles show distress.

Sometimes I figure if I can't say something encouraging, maybe I better keep my trap shut.

There is a resource here in the bonsai learning forum, that even if you never train bonsai, but do from time to time keep trees in pots is worth your spending some reading-time in there.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”