webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Interesting article on disappearing food

Paradoxically it seems there is more variety in mainstream supermarkets now in the United States than before. I was looking at a cara-cara orange the other day and said to the grocer, "What is a cara-cara? They didn't have these around when I was growing up." So I bought one. Tasted like an orange but with a hint of grapefruit.

Additionally it seems that home gardening and homesteading is becoming more mainstream and that some gardeners tend to branch out and try exotic types of staples. Out here in the New England I've discovered red garlic, which is smaller than the huge varieties they grow out in Gilroy, CA but also juicier, literally bursting with juice. I was looking at the seed list for an Asian seed seller out in Oakland, CA and they sell several varieties of Asian peppers and Chinese greens (called Chinese broccoli). Stuff I don't see in supermarkets, only in (truly) authentic Chinese restaurants in Oakland, CA or San Francisco.

So I'd say there's a counter-trend to the mono-culture and hopefully it'll lead to big agribusiness everywhere expanding to satisfy those tastes. It wasn't long ago that one had to shop in specialty stores to get organic produce and now it's available in many mainstream supermarkets.

imafan26
Mod

The large agribusinesses will selectively grow large amounts of one variety usually they will choose the ones with the best disease and pest resistance, high yields, good shipping and keeping qualities, and look pretty in the market.

Niche farmers may grow specialty items for the local market like Brandywine tomatoes which do not keep or ship well.

Asians are the largest group in Hawaii. Filipinoes may be number one now, they were number two. Japanese, Chinese, Samoan, Micronesian, Tongan, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Thai, Indian, Indonesian, some muslims (but very few and mostly around the military bases) ,Portuguese, Puerto Ricans. Mexican, Caucasions, and African Americans are fewer in number.
There are a couple of large markets that cater to the Asian population and most of the local markets, even the mainland chains will have a larger than normal oriental section than most markets on the mainland. The ethnic and local markets carry saba (cooking banana), taro, taro leaves, swamp cabbage, Asian greens (won bok, pe chai, mustard cabbage, pak choy or bok choy, choi sum, mizuna (new year), gobo and lotus root (New year), araimo, tupic, cassava roots, coconut, apple banana, Cuban red banana, as well as the Williams banana, catuday, Moringa oliefera (marungay leaves and pods), Alucon (birch tree flowers), molokhia, fresh bamboo shoots, balut, 100 year eggs, Portuguese sausage, Samoan bangers, canned corn beef (Samoan brand), shoots of squash, peas, and bitter melon, bitter melon, sweet tamarind, asparagus beans (red and green), red scallions, eggplant (green, and purple diferent varieties. Heirloom varieties can sometimes be found at farmer's markets), bangus (milkfish: frozen and imported from the Philippines,or marinated) assorted dried fish, squid, baby octopus, head on shrimp, fresh fish locally produced as well as imported fish, tocino, filipino sausages (longanisa), pastele, BBQ meat, ocean salad, Papaya (90% GMO), Island sweet corn is sold on the roadside in season(non gmo), sweet potato leaves, fresh cooking peppers (shishito), fresh chile peppers (thai and bird peppers), jackfruit, ginger, herbs, dragon fruit (in season), lychee (in season), mango (in season) dragon eye (in season). Some local citrus fruit (Kau oranges). Most of the tomatoes, Japanese cucumber, eggplant, and green onions are sold by local farms. Apples and other fruits that require chilling are imported along with tomatoes. head lettuce, celery, carrots, potatoes, rice, garlic, and mainland cucumbers. The markets also carry an array of canned goods, spices, sauces, noodles, rice, and specialty mixes for different ethnic groups.

I think part of the reason for the decline in varieties was the post war boom and the urbanization of America. People gardened less and agrifarms only grew one variety. Subsequent generations getting their food from markets probaby thought corn was corn. It is only with the resurgence and interest in eating locally and farmer's markets providing fresh locally produce grown from different varieties are people realizing that there is a difference.

With the improvements in transportation and refrigeration, produce can go farther, but so can pests and diseases be transported through that same system. Some varieties can no longer be planted because of that.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The best varieties are developed for the locations with the best commercial opportunities, as well as the qualities imafan outlines above. With cheap transportation, there is little reason to grow some crops where they would be marginally productive. "Marginal" as defined by the food industry.

Crops are concentrated in specific, geographic areas. After processing, they can be shipped thousands of miles. A potato variety suitable for growing in Kansas need not be grown when potato farms in Idaho can grow twice the tonnage per acre and get it to market in Wichita for 60% of what a Kansas farm could afford to sell its potatoes. What should we hope for, higher transportation costs?

With an economy dependent on continuous growth, including population growth, this is what we can expect. Only the affluent can afford to choose products which are 40% more expensive than what is available. Greater affluence is eroded by a constant pressure for growth. With finite resources, how can this be sustainable?

If freedom means freedom to exploit resources, we seem to only be relying on natural controls for human population. Sixty percent of us may soon be eating out of the same giant pot of algae, then 70%, then 90%.

Steve

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”