rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

hurricane headed straight for New Jersey!

I saw this headline:

Hurricane Joaquin strengthens, major impact on N.J. now more likely

https://www.nj.com/weather/index.ssf/201 ... thens.html

Made me think about you, Applestar, and all the other Jerseyites. Will you evacuate?

Best Wishes!

applestar
Mod

Thanks! I'm not near the coast or water so I don't have to worry about that, but I'm going to be busy bringing in container plants that absolutely need to come in and securing others in more protected nooks,

Bummed about some anticipated fall harvests that may not happen now.... :| Keeping fingers crossed it won't be too bad....

imafan26
Mod

Take care. I know how scary it is anticipating where the storm will hit. The forecasts are not very accurate until they get about three days out and even then they can shift a couple of hundred miles. Even if the storm stays a couple of hundred miles away there is still potential for wind, rain, and flooding. All you can do is prepare for the worst and hope for the best and take lots of pictures. The most important thing is to have a plan and a place to go to that will be safe.

applestar
Mod

It's not even here yet but yesterday was blustery and lots of rain.

Overnight, my avocados and mango trees on the patio fell over and dominoed the lemon verbena and pineapple sage. :shock:

The outdoor GFI outlet my AACT air pump is on had popped but it was so cold last night -- 49°F this morning -- and the mini fridge connected to it in the garage was down, but it only has old leftover bait worms/mealworms and my legume inoculant in it right now so not a biggie.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We are far inland (600 miles from Atlantic), but even so this hurricane is giving us a very wet rainy few days, from yesterday, clear through the weekend.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

Not anymore, going straight out to sea.

imafan26
Mod

Even going out to sea if the storm is not compact there will still be a lot of moisture being dropped 150-200 miles away. That is what is happening here. With multiple storms passing by the ground is already saturated so flooding is the bigger problem, that and the fact that the storms passing to the north of us cut off the trades and makes things really muggy.

Even inland, flooding would be a concern if the ground is already well saturated. Streams will overflow and the power goes out. For us, the sewage spills and the idiots who go into the water after a storm are lucky the sharks have enough to eat this time of the year. It is always dangerous to go into the water after a storm because the sharks come in looking to feed on whatever has washed into the ocean from the streams.

Peter1142
Green Thumb

It is not going anywhere near land and will not impact the USA.

There are some serious storms going on however, in the Carolinas, that have nothing to do with Joaquin.

applestar
Mod

Good thing it's not landing, It's plenty affecting already -- gusts of 32 mph right now. :shock:

LIcenter

This one had me worried! Had it landed here you can bet it would have been nasty. We've had very little to no rain this summer, and every tree is down right brittle. I have a generator, but to keep it running for two weeks or more would have broken the bank. House damage and lives would have been quite serious to say the least. I truly thank the gods we in the NE have been spared.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I just read that a container ship is missing. It was hit by the category 4 wind & huge waves in the Bermuda Triangle.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”