Susan W
Greener Thumb

Job offer!

I have to share this among friends. When at the market Saturday a fellow stopped by with his small son, and talked some about his new venture. He had been my market neighbor for a couple of years, peddling his worm poo and a few other things. A real good guy, and he sometimes stops by to visit us. Well, the worm poo business grew as he keeps developing the product, bagging, does whole sale etc. (and he still works full time day job). Anyway, he wanted to share his starting a new business, a garden center. He is asking me to work for him at least 1 day/week. I told him we'll talk, and of course flattered. I don't really have time to work for him, but can work with doing something. This operation is on the MS side of our Memphis metro region.

applestar
Mod

Sounds interesting! I hope this will be lucrative and interesting for you, whatever you decide to do.

You know, Susan, I remember you had this idea to start selling at the market... and now that it's been a couple of years, it sure has been working out really well for you with growing customer base and fellowship in the business. Congratulations! :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the encouraging words, means a lot. This fellow, Bill, knows I've worked garden centers (2), combined about 8 yrs albeit part-time seasonal. As for this venture, not sure of details. He's hoping to kick in soon, pumpkins for October, then Christmas trees. Here Jan-Feb are dead months for a garden center, and picks up slowly in March. I figure once he has the building etc, will meet him there and talk. Side note, personal interest side, even though has young son, is now pushing 40's -50. When he was active at our market, son born. He was a basket case, never had been married, and 1st baby. He quit the market at end of season in part to spend more time with the baby.
I may supply him with plant starts, especially milkweeds and other hard-to-finds. I need to check the legal details on that as I have a growers license in TN, but not to sell out-of-state, and I figure just adding another line to the form.

Another side note, is this fellow does extensive research on growing plants, their needs etc. I approach slightly different, but we don't clash. Not sure if totally organic, but mighty close. He has a huge worm farm, and that has been a real business, mixing worm stuff, aged horse poo and leaf mold.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”