applestar
Mod

PERSEIDS METEOR SHOWER PEAKS TONIGHT

I don't know if we will get to see it -- light pollution is bad around here and night sky is too bright unless we drive out further east... But I thought I'd post a heads up.

Look up into the sky towards the Constellation Perseus -- currently in the Northerly direction but will move in the sky so you may want to get a night sky map for your area or use a star watch app.

Good luck. :D

ahl389

Don't know if I'll be able to see it either - probably not, especially with the current cloud cover, but I'll give it a shot!

webmaster
Site Admin

Thanks for the reminder. I'll go take a look! Hey, earlier tonight I thought I saw a meteor on the drive home and thought... naw...

applestar
Mod

Kids and I were outside for a long time -- they saw two that I didn't see then all three of us saw a HUGE one streak across the southern sky from northeast. In retrospect, it was scary big. :shock:

nada after that. But really it's too bright in our backyard. We were saying that if we could see each other and our own hands, it's not dark enough. Is frustrating to think there must have been more that we simply couldn't see.

applestar
Mod

Kids came in after seeing two more. I went out again and saw one around 2AM.

Even with so little actual meteor sightings, it was a wonder to sit out in the dark and watch the stars and sky.

Bonus was that the kids also discerned dark shadows flitting around. It seems we DO have bats in the area after all. :() We went outside unprotected but did not get any mosquito bites.

applestar
Mod

I tried when I woke up at 3:30am. The reports have been that even in light pollution affected areas like mine, there are good chances of seeing the brightest meteors…. BUT. we had patchy clouds and …
  • when I went out there, only one (eastern) quadrant of the sky was clear enough.
  • I had to wait for the kitchen light which is on motion sensor to time out
  • I tried walking around to the side of the house even though that side could be affected by the street light and neighbor’s front porch lights …but even before that became an issue, the solar motion-activated LED security light that I had set up to deter night raiders in my SIDE YARD GARDEN BEDS TURNED ON !!! I must admit I uttered a mild expletive. :P
  • I then tried going to the other side of the house… but it started to rain…. :x . I decided to go ahead and see if the security light on THAT side worked. IT DID. LMFAO
  • It then occurred to me that in walking back and forth in the backyard, the security light that should have turned on by the edge of the patio DID NOT.
I looked up at that clear patch of sky a few more times, and I might have seen ONE meteor So I guess I’ll have to call that a win.

At least I found out that the two of the lights in the garden beds work and are sensitive enough to detect me creeping around on the path in the dark, and I now know the one by the patio is probably not getting enough direct sunlight to charge, so I’ll try repositioning it today. :wink:

webmaster
Site Admin

We have minimal light pollution where we live and I couldn't see any meteors last night.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”