A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Building a Small Brick Oven In My Backyard

I decided to build a small brick roasting oven in my backyard. I have the bricks, and I can get the cement. The top will be a flat square brick pallet like the bottom. I am still trying to decide if I need a door and/or a chimney -wall- . Do I need firebricks? The ones I have are standard red house bricks. The idea is to light a hot fire in it, wait until it heats the oven floor, and put corn on the oven floor. If I make each chamber smaller, it might be possible to build a corn chamber on top of the fire chamber, but I'd rather not. It will have no dome, just a rectangular prism with a flat roof and a flat floor, and a hole in the front to allow access. Could the fire heat the floor enough, or should I just put the corn on the roof and light a fire underneath? What fuel do I use? My default fuel is sticks from the ground, dry leaves, and tissues and paper towels for kindling. I can progress to larger sticks as will fit in the oven when the fire gets hotter.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I suggest you go on line and look at a number of them. I think you will need a chimney at the least. All the ovens I have seen have chimneys, a hearth and a door.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have seen what you are talking about:

https://people.umass.edu/dac/projects/Br ... ckOven.htm "the one hour brick oven"

this construction does have " a single 6"x10" red clay flue-liner as the chamber" I do think you would need something like that or the fire brick. Regular house brick as the interior of the oven would probably crack.

My church had a somewhat similar construction, but the top was a grill.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Yep, that's what I mean. I have a flat square brick for the base and top though. I thought the smoke could escape through the front, since I want to cook the corn on the floor after the fire goes out. I could put extra cement coverage inside so it won't crack that easily. My place to put it is in a shady place under the deck. Right now rain filters through it but in about a week or two my husband will finish fixing it. The bricks come from a barrier in the garden on the lawn that I am removing. It was made of bricks. I will count them when they are available. I will use as many as possible with the amount of cement I can buy.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Under a wooden deck? Be sure you put some kind of fire protection on the under side of the deck. They make them as grill mats or pads for people who want to put their grills on their wooden decks.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Ok thanks!

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”