applestar
Mod

Can anyone ID these mouse gut parts?

:!: :!: :!: WARNING :!: :!: :!: This is ONLY for people who don't mind seeing yucky stuff.
DO NOT click on the link if you are not up to looking at mouse guts first thing in the morning.

One of our two kitties has discovered that mice are actually CAT FOOD. So when she catches one, she devours it -- she realized if she lets us know she's caught one, we take it away even when she tries to save it on her very own food dish. But she can't help the catly tendency to demonstrate her prowess, so she has, for the SECOND TIME, left the mouse guts just outside our bedroom doorway this morning....

Last time, my reaction on discovering her offering was a strangled squeak and a quick grab with toilet paper and flush.... But I'm curious to know what the heck she is NOT eating and leaving to show us... So can anyone tell me what this is?

Link to photo of mouse guts

-- OK sorry about having you look at that... Here's something else to replace that vision --
(I drew it on the iPad this morning -- what do you think?)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Not sure what that is, but I remember cats when I was growing up that would eat the entire mouse, and not leave a scrap! The only thing I can think of is that it is a cat delicacy, and she wants to share with her loved ones! LOL

DS's cat catches mice at night, and leaves them on the floor right in the middle of her bedroon doorway, sitting and proudly looking over them as she finds it. He never eats them - just plays with them until they are dead. I'll tell her to count her blessings.

applestar
Mod

Thanks! I appreciate your taking a look.
When I told DH about it -- he was already downstairs -- first thing he said was "Did I step on it???" LOL luckily neither of us did, but it would not have been pretty. :x

Later, I found the kittie sitting in front of THE SPOT where I had cleaned up the blood stain with minty soap. I think she might have been feeling put out. (WHERE DID MY DESSERT GO? ...I was saving that...) :lol:

catgrass
Green Thumb

I did not look-my cat usually eats the whole thing except maybe a piece of the tail. I have a pet door, and while I'm at work, she will catch birds and bring them inside. I will have feathers everywhere, but no bird, no carcass, no beak, no feet-just feathers.

madonnaswimmer

I am a veterinarian, and even I am having a hard time completely identifying what that is. I agreee-- looks most like intestines from the photo.

A word of caution from your friendly neighborhood vet...
1.) If your cats hunt rodents, make sure you have a discussion with your neighbors about whether or not they use rodenticide on their property. I have seen cats become poisoned by eating mice that had eaten poison on a neighbor's property.
2.) Make sure you are using flea preventative like Revolution or Frontline on your cats, as it is very easy for them to catch fleas from their prey. Also, if you have mice in the house, they are likely bringing fleas in with them.
3.) Make sure you get your cat's stool tested for intestinal parasites at least once yearly, or every 6 months if they are heavy hunters.

:)

applestar
Mod

Thank you! I'm really appreciating you looking (and not looking, too) and your comments. :wink:

I will definitely look into the negative issues you mentioned, @madonnaswimmer. Much appreciated. :D

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

BAAAAHAHA! I stumbled on this while searching for toilet paper seed tape! Our kitties have been inside only for the last 10 years, but growing up, we got all kinds of "gifts" on our back porch! For what it's worth, I think she was offering you the best part!

MichaelC

This morning I went out the front door and was sure I was seeing some colorful mouse guts hanging from one of my cat's mouths. I was shocked because, unlike his brother, who bags hummingbirds at an alarming rate despite a bell collar, this cat couldn't catch a cold. It turned out to be a pair of my daughter's little mermaid dolls. :D

Unfortunately I have no help with your question.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”