digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: Encourage me to use Subforums

VanIsle, I did just now open that mailbox!. I think we can relate on a couple of those subjects.

I want to make note of what sub-forum we are in. If someone is especially bored with our "non-gardening related hooha and foo," I don't think that we should feel bad about that. Avoiding too much partisan rhetoric and very personal religious comments is about all I can think of that there should be some brakes on. And yet, I've been very nearly drifting into those at times, over the years.

I don't know of a better place to comment on shared experiences or an interest in learning about others' hoo-ha and foo than here :) .
Vanisle_BC wrote:Thanks applestar, for both your explanation and your 'complaint.' As for cleverness, your adventurous dedication to gardening experiment leaves me awestruck. I can't imagine how you find time to write about it at all.
We are all very lucky that AppleStar conducts those experiments and relates her adventures on HG.

Steve

webmaster
Site Admin

Hoo Ha and Foo can be about anything you want (except religion and politics!). :)

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

digitS' wrote:I don't know of a better place to comment on shared experiences or an interest in learning about others' hoo-ha and foo than here :)
Fair enough; and if that might be your way of implying you'd rather not get private messages, I admire and envy your diplomatic skill! :lol:

Agreed about personal/religious comment and partisan rhetoric. If I speak about politics it's likely to be concerned with my extreme disapproval of the party system itself, and the partisanship it guarantees.

Some of my ideas are "not entirely conventional," maybe even radical but with generally benign intent. Some I wouldn't voice here for fear of the (misplaced!) outrage & condemnation they could invite.

When faced with irrational rhetoric it can be difficult not to fall into the trap of responding in kind. And it saves one the trouble of thinking seriously about what comes out of the mouth. This calls to mind those public political debates; why would we value quick-fire hostility over real thoughtfulness and constructive discussion?

I save quotes if they reinforce the ways I think - or like to think I think :). Here's one:

"An unbiased appreciation of uncertainty is a cornerstone of
rationality - but it is not what people and organizations want."
(Thinking Fast & Slow - Daniel Kahneman)

Oh, and ...
"People understand me so poorly that they don't even understand my complaint about them not understanding me." - Soren Kierkegaard

Quoting these can let me seem as if I'm 'well read' but in fact most of the time I've just gleaned them from the 'net; which puts me squarely in the same category as those users of mobile devices who:
"like to skim .... quickly understand what the content is about." - webmaster :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Oh no, VanIsle. I responded to the message.

Posting much on HG is not what I can do during the growing season but I'm inclined that way at this time of the year. I'm still in a discovery mode with all things internet and wonder how things might be different for those whose entire lives have been online.

I can remember the first time I saw a television. Can some of you even imagine that I was born 65 miles on one side of what is now called Silicon Valley and spent the earliest years of life just on the other side and still remember the first time I saw a television set? I remember something before that --- gathering around the radio in the evening.

Steve
There is nothing permanent except change. ~ Hereclitus, circa 500 BC

applestar
Mod

Thanks! It makes me very happy to hear that you are enjoying or at least finding my posts useful ... or maybe entertaining :-()

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”