Susan W
Greener Thumb

License: I passed!

I finally applied for a growers license. This is filling out form, sending check, and getting inspected by a person from TN Dept Agriculture. There are several levels depending on operation (I think I am in hobbyist greenhouse even though no greenhouse per se). I wouldn't worry about it, but I would like to be market free to put out more than a couple of flats of starts at the market, and perhaps add another market.

The woman who does much of our area called, and why not, just come by today. I had talked to her by phone in August, and she seemed more than reasonable and wanting to work with -not against.
She shows up. Note the 5yr old had been dropped here for the day as his school is out, both parents back at school/work. 1st thing is stepping over and around the little wood train track he was working on. (she has kids). Then an inquisitive look at me and the looms and asking if I had a shop at one time. Yes, one and the same, she had bought some yarn from me.

Now get to the chase, seed starting. Yes, see here on the kitchen table, and currently have about 12 of the little peat pellet trays with as many varieties in various stages of sprouting. So then move on to next stage, flats of 4" pots that are still newly up potted and tender or iffy with this very cold weather. These in front of the double doors south exposure. another room. OK, now move outside. Smaller starts (4" & qts) and flats either in the mini greenhouse or on shelves. Many pots pushed together. My deck guy had just left and had taken out the decking on 1/3 of deck. Anything that was there in yard or pushed to other part. Then on to the back drive, just down the steps. Yes the large containers that were one place now pushed over there as the tree people had been here last week.

She was glad to see (not the right words) that I was aware of Basil downy mildew. Not glad I trashed my crop, but am aware and watching closely, very closely. Diseases/infestations is a big thing they are looking for for both a micro grower like me, and if plants are out at the garden center (including box stores).

On a positive note from her, she was encouraging for the 'different' herbs, perennials, pollinator magnets and then the milkweed. She's seen some different things, niche market growers, but not what I'm doing.

After all of this, the little one asked if we were making cookies, something I had mentioned earlier. You guessed it, Grandma caved and we made choc chip cookies. NumNums.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Yay, Susan!

Of course, you should celebrate.

Yay, cookies!

:) Steve

applestar
Mod

Yay! Good for you!
Your diligence is paying off! :D

What opportunities will this mean?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

congratulations!!!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Good on you!

lily51
Greener Thumb

You grow girl!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the shout outs! I figure with the growers license I can be more confident in looking at more opportunities, and perhaps take myself more seriously (well, perhaps not!).

In playing with and messing around with the plant starts, it is interesting to listen to customers/potential buyers. Some want plants not laden with chemicals. In urban settings need plants that don't take over, can take some shade, are pretty, feed the bees/butterflies/birds.

Never stop growing, morphing, challenging ones self.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”