Susan W
Greener Thumb

Speaking of Cuba

One would have to be living under a rock not to know about changes with US-Cuba now. Anyway, just an anecdote I recall from my Mother or her sister about their Dad & Mom. It was said they traveled to Cuba, and this was during prohibition. Upon returning she was to get a few bottles of rum tucked up under her skirts. Obviously before pat-downs and TSA!!
I'll drink to that!

imafan26
Mod

I guess I must be living under a rock then.

lily51
Greener Thumb

We have a friend who did a tour of Cuba a year ago. She really liked it, although their travel was totally regulated and they were there during the hurricane. Said people there were just waiting for normalization with U.S. so trade can start. There was a time when Cuba was The party place for Americans.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

The only country in the world with a trade embargo with Cuba is the U.S. Everyone else trades with them. If the Cuban people are waiting for the U.S. trade to become prosperous again they are in for a rude awakening. They will still be under the thumb of a dictatorship. Plenty of money is finding its way into the country already. It just does not find its way to the poor peasants.

I am not against opening the doors to Cuba. Will the influx of U.S dollars make a difference? What has Cuba got to trade besides cigars and rum and maybe a little sugar? There are lots of warm places to vacation besides Cuba. The Castro brothers won't live forever; will things change then? I think maybe this is a "feel good" move to add to a resume loaded with mistakes.

webmaster
Site Admin

>>>Will the influx of U.S dollars make a difference?

Made a huge difference in China. ;)

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”