A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Re: Favorite Backyard Garden Birds?

What are these? Cardinals? Tanagers?

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I love the tiny type of birds such as chickadees and what are those other teeny ones called...titmice?

catgrass
Green Thumb

The redbirds are cardinals. I have counted as many as 24 some afternoons. I have 3 feeders set out. I get cardinals, chickadees, fox sparrows, blue jays, doves (lots of doves), cowbirds, goldfinches and some I can't identify.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I like the little titmice. Swoop in, grab, and gone. The chickadees come in and grab a seed then fly to a branch and crack the shell, eat the seed, then back to the feeder.

I haven't seen my goldfinches yet this year. Usually they come in the early spring, stay the summer, then take off for the winter. I know they turn brown and I know what winter goldfinch plumage looks like. But they disappear for the winter here. They love zinnia and cone flower seeds.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

catgrass wrote:The redbirds are cardinals. I have counted as many as 24 some afternoons. I have 3 feeders set out. I get cardinals, chickadees, fox sparrows, blue jays, doves (lots of doves), cowbirds, goldfinches and some I can't identify.
Cool! For cardinals, I only have a few pairs of mates, a few sibling pairs/groups, and one single male cardinal who, since all the females have been taken up, sings incessantly outside my window all day and night :evil:
I get a lot of Tree Sparrows, House Sparrows, Song Sparrows (don't judge, but I like them!), doves (on the ground eating seeds discarded by picky feeder birds, since we have a squirrel-proof feeder that works by weight, not allowing doves either), one cowbird (which never came to the feeder), chickadees (always chickadees), nuthatches (white-breasted), and God knows how many other bird types, I only listed the ones we seem to both have. The evil blue jays migrated away last year, abandoning one with us (it had to teach itself to fly, so we got to watch it faceplant in the dirt for a couple of weeks :D ), but they came back now. They stay away from the feeder though.
I saw a grackle near the feeder once but it never got on. I never saw another grackle. We have crows but they stay away from the feeder too.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”