nickolas

I don't like modern Christmas!!

The only version of Christmas I like is the original Christmas where people don't buy things and has nothing to do with Jesus or Santa. From what I have been told and the little I have been able to read it started during the cold winters somewhere in Europe. People in small isolated villages would exchange traditional foods to help them get through the hard winters. If one family had a large crop of pumpkins for example they would exchange most of them with other local families that might have lots of potato’s, grains, nuts or persevered tomatoes, fruit‘s, berries and meats. This could mean the difference between surviving and not. People would suddenly have a wide variety of foods to live off until the first spring crops.
Attachments
8206234109_9be53aedb5_z.jpg
8206234109_9be53aedb5_z.jpg (43.74 KiB) Viewed 921 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What you describe is not Christmas (Christ's mass); it would be Yule, winter solstice or any of a variety of other traditional fall/ harvest/ winter festivals that were celebrated in different traditional cultures. I do celebrate Christmas, but I also like to celebrate winter solstice, the returning of the light, when the days start to lengthen again. Christ was probably actually born in late winter or early spring. We celebrate Christmas when we do, because the early Christian/ Catholic churches absorbed the older traditional festivals, layering Christian symbolism and rites over what existed already.

But even in celebrating Christmas, I prefer simpler, traditional rituals, not so consumer/ corporate driven. Christ's mass was never supposed to be about how much money you spent, or buying lots of made in China gadgets. For some years now I have made almost all the presents I give. Seems a lot more meaningful to me.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Poke a stick in the winter christian holiday, and a pagan one might peek out at you.

Be good to your neighbor, and hope he is to you too.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

DITTO RBG. Christmas is not the same as winter solstice. If you celebrate Christmas then Christ is part of the equation. At Thanksgiving we had a family discussion about our family traditions and the spirit of Christmas has been lost. As a family we decided to bring the spirit of Christmas back into our family traditions. Gift giving will have $ limits and as a family we will adopt a charity. This year we will provide warm clothing to the men's shelter. Women and children get the most attention and homeless men are frequently neglected. Next year we may adopt a family. To be decided later.

Like RBG I am making most of my gifts this year. I have gotten into paper crafting and make jewelry from hand made paper beads. I also make lovely cache bowls from re-cycled paper.

I do not want to offend anyone by my personal interpretation of Christmas. Tradition is very important to me and my family. So is the spirit of Christmas VS winter solstice. Celebrating winter solstice with family, friends and neighbors is wonderful. I would be thrilled by a gift of the bounty from your garden.

Joyful Christmas one and all regardless of what you call it or how you choose to celebrate.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have a very difficult time imagining what Christmas would be like in the southern hemisphere.

Beliefs are tied closely to traditions. Probably, too closely tied.

People tend to be very loyal to traditions. It's one of the ways for us to pretend that the world can be understood and is predictable.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I grew up in Southern California, never saw snow in my life except a couple times when we drove up to the mountains to go to where the snow was, until I moved out here.

It does make Christmas a little strange. You have all the same Christmas cards with snow scenes and snow men and all the same Christmas carols, etc and fake icicles on the tree and it is like there is this big cultural thing going on that you are not a part of and that doesn't mean anything to you...

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have spent a few holidays in a much warmer climate just as I have spent a few holidays where I have felt myself alone. Spent is the operable word here - as tho' the holiday came and went without actually happening.

Because of the life that I've lived, perhaps, I think that most holidays really should be associated with a harvest. Something to gather and gather around. Beyond that ... what? Gathering at the edge of the field for the purpose of hoping for a future harvest? ... a kind of "we are all in this desperate situation together" sort of thing?

Steve ;)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Just as Christ's mass was layered over existing pagan winter solstice/ Yule festivals, Easter was layered over existing pagan spring fertility festivals. Those were about blessing the fields to help ensure a good harvest to come. Much of what we associate with Easter, like Easter eggs, baby bunnies and chicks are fertility symbols.

The pagan/ Wiccan festivals are all about the turning of the seasons and being in tune with what is going on in the natural world:

From winter solstice, the calendar goes on to Imbolc/ Candlemass, which we know as groundhog day (since I have little love for groundhogs, I much prefer celebrating candlemass :) ). It is the half way point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox.

Then we have spring equinox traditionally known as Lady Day, which we know as Easter.

Beltane or May Day is the half way point between spring equinox and summer solstice. When I was a kid we still celebrated may day - collect little baskets of wild/ field flowers, put them on people's front porches, ring the doorbell and run away. That and maypoles seem to have disappeared from the culture since then.

Then is mid-summer, summer solstice. We don't have a season equivalent. I guess it is coincidence that we celebrate our national independence day, 4th of July in close conjunction with mid summer.

Midway between summer solstice and fall equinox is Lammas. Aug 1 it is a first harvest festival. I like it. Thanksgiving always seems odd to me as a fall, giving thanks for the harvest festival since by then there is pretty much nothing left in the garden to harvest. At Lammas, my garden truly is full of abundance.

Fall equinox Sept 21 would still be a better time to have a giving thanks, fall harvest festival. That is the time of putting food by.

Midway between fall equinox and winter solstice is Samhain, which we know as Halloween. It was the pagan New Year and it was a time of honoring the dead, cleansing and releasing.

I like honoring and remembering the old meanings and earth connections of these festivals, most of which we still celebrate in some way.

imafan26
Mod

Christmas here in Hawaii is an imported holiday that came with the missionaries. Our Hawaiian Christmas is anything but white, but I do love the annual arrival of Santa by canoe, and in Kailua a very skinny Santa rides in a canoe every year waving to people on the beach.

The most important thing really is time spent with family and friends no matter what the occasion.

I did do some research on the beginnings of Christmas and it is a modern holiday.
Jesus was probably born in the Spring. Who in their right mind would conduct a census count in the dead of winter.
Religious persecution forced the early Christians underground, literally. They had to meet in secret or risk death. They started celebrating Christ's birth in December because in many traditions Jewish, Druid, pagan, it was a time of feasting and mysticism. People believed that the spirits rise in the dead of winter both good and evil.

The modern Santa Claus and St. Nick came from German and Turkish traditions as well as the Christmas tree. St. NIcholas was a 4th century bishop in Mira now Turkey. The bishop used his family's wealth to help the poor. His celebration day is Dec. 6.

When the Dutch colonized America , their Senta Klaus became the American Santa Claus. Thomas Nast drew the modern Santa based on his description in the poem, the NIght before Christmas in 1863.

Christmas was made a legal holiday in 1894. Truly a modern holiday based on an amalgamation of traditions and folklore from Europe.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Halloween is my least appreciated holiday. It's a wonder that small children can screw up enuf courage to go out in the neighborhood on that evening! Like many things, the US culture has moved this to something that has to do with delayed adolescent partying.

It may have only evolved as a myth in my own mind but I do remember reading about the end of October timing as associated with bringing livestock from higher pasture and nomadic European herding societies taking up residence in their winter villages. The village may sit empty through the summer months and the children would run ahead with their cattle goads to drive evil spirits from the vacant homes. The newly arrived families would reward their neighbors children as everyone came back together after so many months apart.

Christmas is not in the dead of winter ... quite ... we have that lag with the worse weather usually showing up in early January. You'd better have your Yule log and chocolates all lined up, however. :)

Personally, I am often dang busy during September and October. ("dang?" no chocolate for digitS' this Christmas!) The harvest for winter stores is going on throughput that time. An earlier "thanksgiving" would be burdensome.

Late November is late. But, don't forget that this is by government decision. Like daylight savings time dates. We now must all realize that dst has little to do with energy savings and a great deal to do with worker productivity.

Steve

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I think we all get 'over-christmased' in the stores and financial reports etc. I have to hold my tongue as I depend on holiday sales. I've been an-artist/craftsman longer than some of you have been a thought. Selling the woven scarves and shawls at holiday crafts markets essential. There have been precarious years when selling knit or woven scarves helped pay the light bill, and sometimes enough to get a few things to put under the tree or better roast on the table. Now at the farmers market pushing the knit scarves and wash cloths and small poured beeswax candles. Fortunately this year can otherwise pay the light bill, but some of these few dollars go to other vendors to get treats (handcrafted soap, locally roasted coffee, hand thrown mug etc).

Making gifts for family/friends? I rarely make specifically for someone. What is gifted is often chosen from inventory left Dec 24th.

Just a different take on holiday sales.

LovetoGarden22

I feel that Christmas shouldn't be about the gifts or Santa. Its about one gift-Jesus. And its a time to be with family. It really upsets me that rich buisness men and women have made Christmas a time to be greedy. There is so much pressure on the consumers today. Society makes it feel like if you don't give an exspensive gift, then your wrong. To me it shouldn't matter how exspensive a gift is, or really what it is. If it comes from the heart, thats all that counts. And who says you have to give gifts on Christmas at all? If you want to give a gift, why not do it just cause you want to? When you want? It would mean a whole lot more.
Just my opinion. :)
(End of lecture lol :> )

imafan26
Mod

I used to have disposable income, but those days are gone. I do my shopping all year. I don't have a list, I just see something that I think would be good for someone I know and I can afford it, then I buy it and save it for Christmas. Some people do get left out because I never find anything for them, usually because they are a little too peculiar. I used to get the kids educational toys, but now I can't afford what they want so, I leave that stuff to their parents.

I do bake for Christmas, but even that has gotten more expensive. I usually bake for my family and neighbors and deliver on Christmas eve. I usually have a lot of oven burns to show for it. At the garden Christmas party, I wrap the gift in eco friendly paper. Newspaper tied with raffia. I started a trend, other people started doing it too. I used the newspaper because the gift I got, a folding weeding stool was too big for the Christmas wrap and the wrap was too thin and tore easily. The stool did not have a box so it was an odd shape too. The newspaper could be taped together to make it bigger and multiple sheets made it stronger so it did not tear and you could not see through it either. Recycled to the max. I also use containers for boxes that are reusable.

The day after Christmas the garbage cans are overflowing with Christmas wrappings and ribbons and empty boxes. Not to mention all the party food and paper plates. It is such a waste. And if Christmas is my garbage pickup day, then I have to make an extra trip to the recycling center since there is no pickup on Christmas day, and it gets repeated because the same thing will happen on NY day. That was when we had twice weekly pickup, now one pickup a week is for garbage and the second is for recyclables. However, they will take the second recycle day and pickup the garbage instead but there is no recycling pickup at all. I actually have very little recycled bottles as I use them myself for everything from spray bottles, to fruit fly traps and planting containers, but it means there is not green waste pickup for a month and I do not have a truck.

I used to decorate the house for the holidays, but not anymore. I still have unopened Christmas presents from last year on my dining room table. I haven't really celebrated Christmas since 2003. I do go to Christmas parties and family gatherings but just not into the Christmas presents.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings, We our family celebrate the western Christmas, on the 25th of December. Then the counting of the 12 days of Christmas with a small gift and the use of the Advent calender, for the young ones to learn and the old to remember. There is a building of anticipation until the 6th of January which is a High Holy Day, in the Armenian Church and other Eastern Orthodox Churches.

It's true that in the west the day for the celebration of the birth or Christ was moved to exclude a pagan day, we had no such day to cover and have not changed the date for over 1800 years.

One of the original Eastern Church bishops was named Nigolas, who became for the eastern churchs: Saint Nicolas. The sluring of the name Saint Nicolas or Nickolas became Santa Claus. [The country in which Nickolas was bishop was overrun by the turks and is no longer Christian.]

We love Christmas as celebrated by Christians in the west as well as those in the Eastern Church tridition. Only Easter or Zakig as called in the east is a Higher Holy Day.

The words we use for Christmas are Surp Tznoot: Holy Birth.

We wish you a Holy Christmas. Surp Tznoot.

webmaster
Site Admin

Last night we had a wonderful evening putting up the tree and decorating it. I lit a log fire in the fireplace and played Johnny Mathis and Nat King Cole on the stereo. In the middle of all the decorating I made some hot chocolate with whipped cream and some appetizers to munch. Yeah that might be corny but it was fun. The holidays, for our family, is about family, getting together and being merry. That's pretty much about it. I respect that it's a religious holiday for many. There's a lot of beauty and affirmation of values and our place in the world in that. But I also respect that the meaning today is broad and encompasses much more. Whichever way you celebrate Christmas, X-Mas, Hanukkah , the Holidays, I hope it's a source of good cheer, warmth and happiness. ;)

What's your holiday tradition?

If you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, I strongly urge you to consider visiting the Dickens Fair in San Francisco. It's a fabulous way to spend an afternoon, especially if you're familiar with the writings of Charles Dickens. It used to be one of our family's favorite things to do when we lived in the area. :)

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Roger, Looks like you scared every one off.

You mentioned holiday. Way back in time I had a Hair Stying Salon, a Holiday is place on the head where a stylist missed or forgot to cut the hair.

This is a list of holidays in the Papua New Guinea.
Date English Name
January 1 New Year's Day
March 29 Good Friday
March 30 Easter Saturday
March 31 Easter Sunday
April 1 Easter Monday
June 10 Queen's Birthday
July 23 National Remembrance Day
August 26 National Day of Repentance
September 16 Independence Day
December 25 Christmas Day
December 26 Boxing Day

I'm not fond of Boxing Day, everything is closed, it's hard to find a place to buy even a roasted bat. Myself I won't eat bat, but Flying fox is worth trying.

You would be surprised how devout they are at Lotu during XMASS.

Richard

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

There seems to be a common theme - holidays - especially Christmas - have very personal, family oriented traditions. Emphasis on FAMILY! That is my joy. No BAH HUMBUG here. I could easily ditch Halloween. That is BAH HUMBUG.

Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter are sacred to our family. Large gatherings, too much food, lots of laughter, hugs, kisses and fellowship. A remembrance of the meaning of the holiday. Be it a reminder of our roots as a nation - Thanksgiving or the Christian reminder of the birth of Christ and his ascension celebrated at Easter - We rejoice in the celebration and we pray as a family.

OOOOPS!

Probably offended someone some where.

Regardless of your beliefs there are days for family celebration. To me that is what is important - Family Celebration. I am blessed with an amazing family. We thrive on family gatherings. An occasional Sunday dinner at Mom's is an occasion for celebration.

Holidays are precious to me. They speak of family and friends and shared time and memories. We rejoice in the spirit of the holiday be it Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter.

A simple Sunday dinner or a major Holiday Family Gathering - we rejoice in each other and take time to give thanks for our blessings.

Merry Christmas, Happy Honokaa, Happy Cuanza, Joyful Winter Solstice. Whatever you choose to celebrate may it be filled with family, love and laughter.

BTW - bless the cooks!!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, here on Hoo-ha and Foo, I doubt if anyone objects to families celebrating together. When they share common beliefs, it's likely to make the sense of family and of these celebrations more meaningful.

In my lifetime, I have seen the nature of US celebrations shift just a little. It hasn't all been in some unfortunate direction. Societies evolve and mature even if traditions are, perhaps, the slowest to change. My father pointed out that the youngest family members are usually the most rigid about, "the way we have always done things." ;) Dad left the making of the New Year's omelets to me, nearly 20 years ago. (I have turned over the actual make-up of the omelets to the young people. :) )

Respect for holiday traditions which mirror our own, probably isn't very difficult. Of course, they may be significantly more complex traditions than breaking a few eggs. And, there is where traditions and people may separate ... the complexity and opinions which account for them. It hardly amounts to much to get worked up about.

Yes, they are likely to separate us. However, the pollsters tell us that 75 percent of Americans and 60-some percent of Australians consider themselves Christians so, I imagine that most of the many beliefs surrounding Christmas traditions aren't likely to offend many Americans or Australians.

Respect for Christian beliefs or any other beliefs, should be part of our maturing as adults, don't you think? And, that should go for even those in our communities or as far away as Beijing, who claim to have no religious beliefs. ... I have to be careful there with Beijing. I mean, I spent half my life spelling it "Peking." I only have a notion as to why the spelling was changed but the Latin alphabet can be a little awkward, at times.

Steve

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”