rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

movies

I saw webmaster's Thanksgiving post mentioning having seen Interstellar and it occurred to me we haven't had a movies thread in a long time.

I also saw Interstellar and thought it was very good, love Matthew McConaughy (sp?). I just saw the new Hunger Games - Mockingjay and thought it was excellent. Now that they are out of the arena, the movie seems to have more depth and message to it. Easy to make some parallels between their society and ours. And I think Jennifer Lawrence deserves a Best Actress nomination for that. Lots of times she carries the story just with her face.

I didn't see most of the fall movies, but I did see Dear White People. It had some good points to make, but overall was a fairly forgettable comedy.

So what movies have people been seeing and what did you think of them? I want to see Birdman before it disappears, my friends have been saying good things about it.

imafan26
Mod

I haven't been to a movie in years. I know that matinees are a little cheaper and there are Senior discounts available at certain times and days for anyone over 55.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

definitely. And at least here there are some dollar theaters, that play not first run movies for $1. Other than staying home, which gets old, what else can you do for one dollar?

imafan26
Mod

Usually, I would go to the movies on a hot afternoon, that, the mall, and the beach are the only way to really cool off.

webmaster
Site Admin

Jennifer Lawrence is a very good actress. I became a fan after watching her in Silver Linings Playbook. I don't make it out to the movies much to the movies because most flicks are inappropriate for my ten year old daughter. I do see kids movies with her though, like Maleficent (which was pretty good). Gravity was another flick I watched in the theaters with my wife. I liked that a lot too.

Interstellar was very good. Every minute counted and there was hardly a slack moment, not even in the beginning parts. That's an achievement considering that it's a three hour long movie. Felt exhausted afterward. I liked it and would recommend it. But I'm not sure I'm ever going to watch it again. But I rarely do that anyway.

An exception is Twin Peaks. I saw that when it first came out. My wife and I just finished watching the old Twin Peaks series and now we're watching something from the UK called Life on Mars.

applestar
Mod

Primary theatre movie outing being planned is the third installment of The Hobbit. We may also go see Interstellar -- almost did this past weekend, but needed to recover from the earlier November activities. (I told DH if I went to a dark movie theatre, I would sleep through whatever flashy special effects were on screen, surround sound and over-loud audio setting not withstanding. :roll:)

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

We have some favorite movies the ofcourse: Harry Potter, all by Jane Austen, Hobbot & all, the Hunger Games. We went to see the Mocking Jay for Yerazel's graduation, she wore the cap and gown all that day.

We don't watch TV but have a great selection of movies we watch.

Wifey reads the books to us, she's a wonderful reader, we can compare the adaptation.

In our library we have many we like: In Persuit of Honor, all of those by Jane Austen,~ many.

It is regretable there are so few that are suitable for the girls to watch.

Richard

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Graduation Day

We watched the movie Oblivion, not great but not bad.

Richard

This was taken at the movie Mocking Jay.
Attachments
Graduation.JPG
Graduation.JPG (34.14 KiB) Viewed 647 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I did also see Gravity and thought it was amazing and beautiful to watch.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”