Susan W
Greener Thumb

Alabama, Frontier Days Fest at Ft Toulouse, Wetumpka

For those of you in AL, Frontier Days at Ft Toulouse, Wetumpka (just n of Montgomery) is this week, Wed-Sun. I am continually amazed at the history in the small area with Native (Creek) and French (mid 18th c), then Ft Jackson -1814. Early settlements go way back with the mounds.

I'm messing with the natural dye pots. Yes, have sorted out a few plant starts to take! The historic fishing guru is next to me, and we're across from the blacksmith, and that's just one small area.
Just giving you a heads-up!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings, That's something I'd like to see. I've read about Fort Toulouse, I know the French built it. Are some of the building standing from that day or are they rebuilt to show what it was like? You're very lucky to be living so close to such history, guess we all are. Where can you live, in this Great Nation, and not be surrounded by history.
The Kit Carson trail runs in front of our mountain ranch, up to the end of the Christmas Valley and across the mountain about 1300ft behind us on government land. When they reinact the Pony Express they come past our place in Nevada, Fort Churchill is couple miles away, west into California and round our mountain place, over the mountain pass all the way to Sutter's Fort in Sacramento.
Aren't we all lucky?

Richard

applestar
Mod

This sounds like so much fun! I wish I lived closer....

Post some pics (hmm I don't recall you posting pictures before -- well, if you take some :wink:)

SusanW, I'd love to see you start a thread on natural dye-making. Let me just look around -- Homesteading forum looks like a natural fit, but there's no subforum for it. Maybe start it in the Elswhere forum for now. 8) (We may have started talking about it before -- was there a thread?)

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Susan, Just reread your post. You have a display there? How long will this be going on?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Just a quick follow up on Ft Toulouse. The original fort(s), three, rotted and/or slipped into the river. The new one is close in looks. Maintainence constant with climate and rainfall. There is so much going on at this event, hard to begin to digest. We had about 15,000 over 5 days, most 4th graders studying AL history. As much as I am talking, constantly learning from other re-enactors and visitors. I'll try to share some of these tidbits as I sift them through my addled mind.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”