applestar
Mod

Crazy / Amusing / Cute / Memorable Pet Stories

Pets are funny creatures. If you have pets you probably have stories to tell :wink:

We have two kitty cats. My kids picked them out of 2 litters of barn cats after playing with them since before they were weaned. After they came home to live with us, they had to unlearn a few things their mom taught them.... Like "the ceiling fan is NOT a turkey vulture or eagle about to have them for lunch, and it is NOT necessary to hide under the bed when it is turning (like they used to crawl under the tack shed at first sign of the flying death)"

An ability they seemed to have come with built-in is catching mice.

They are indoor cats, but there is a lockable cat door to the garage from the laundry room, and they get to go out there, especially around this time of the year when the mice try to move in from the cold outside. And they amuse themselves by catching mice, crickets, grasshoppers, etc.

My previous cat, rescued from the animal shelter, had ZERO talent in that area. If he did catch one, he would immediately lose it in the house somewhere and humans had to move furniture and heavy appliances to locate and dispatch.

These two started out catching them live, and *not* releasing them -- only trading them for a treat -- but have sharpened their claws and have been bringing them dead or nearly dead,... And even *ate* one in front of the kids one day.

Today, the more talented of the two mousers turned up with a new trick -- she came in through the cat door mrrrwwing in a muffled way she typically announces a successful catch. When I turned around to look, she had her mouth clamped on a corner of a small Seven-Eleven plastic bag, carefully avoiding stepping on the rest of the bag she was dragging between her legs. On closer view, we realized that she was carrying a dead mouse in the plastic bag. (DD inspected it and said the mouse's neck was broken)

It was kind of amusing in a ghoulish way especially because I had gone food shopping earlier in the day, and had brought in bags of food...... :P

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Now THAT is funny! :lol: I have plenty of experience with cats showing up with little bodies in various stages of dead or near dead or still in pretty good shape, but I have never had a cat bag up the body. One place I lived with several roommates, we had outdoor cats that were very good hunters and would leave their catch on the back porch to show us. We had "body bagging" on the chore list as it regularly needed to be done. Nice of your cat to do it for you.

Place where I lived with a smallish living room with ceiling fan, we would tie a toy mouse on a string to the ceiling fan blade. Turn the ceiling fan on low and the cat would go crazy chasing the mouse, running along the sofa back to top of TV cabinet to fire place mantel, all around the room on the highest possible surface chasing it.

Once when I was a kid the neighbors next door got a little live chick for Easter. First we knew of it was when our cat came running in to the house with the chick in its mouth. We got the cat to drop it. Fortunately it had been handled very gently and was unharmed. When dropped it ran behind the sofa in the little space between the sofa bottom and the wall. We rescued it from there and returned it. But the cat had seen it go behind the sofa and was convinced it must still be there. For days, the cat kept watching the sofa, trying to reach his paws in there from all directions, looking for that chick!!

catgrass
Green Thumb

I have always owned a cat since my first memory. I now have a cat (a stray showed up where I work as a kitten), and a miniature daschund....and a pet door. The cat brings in everything alive, or mostly alive. Throughout my house I have chased live, flying birds, lizards, snakes, LOTS of night moths (turned loose at midnight while the cat chases it around the house), flying squirrels (thank God my son was home for that one!). She brings everything in for the dog to kill. I have come home and found dead lizards lined up, like the cat was counting them. I have come home to a room full of feathers-no bird, no beak, no feet-just feathers. I know that a 6 month old cat can jump from the floor to the ceiling fan to catch a moth. Leaves the ceiling fan kinda askew. Oh, there's sooooo much more!

imafan26
Mod

My current cats are all from a feral colony. The feral feeders are always trying to find homes for them. Two of the cats were always fed. One was an abandoned pet and the other was born at the colony but hand fed so never learned to hunt. The last kitten I got last October, he is a rascal and loves to watch the water go down when the toilet is flushed. He also likes to ambush the other cats and me.

The cat I had from 1989-2003 was a good hunter. She was born in a warehouse and the last surviving member of her litter so her mother had all the time to pay attention to her. When I saw roaches crawling or flying (I hate that), I knew that I would find a body within a couple of weeks. There was only one roach with 5 legs that got away. One day the cat started running around the house like a mad cat. She caught a mouse. I had never had mice in the house before, just in the yard. She caught the mouse, I caught her and I took her outside and kept telling her to let it go. I did find out that the mice were nesting in the heater under the sink so when I had the kitchen remodeled, I had the toe kick hole covered. No mouse has ever tried to get into the house again. Good thing they don't know my current cats will just ignore them.

Now, if there is a roach that passes by my naive feral cats they just watch it. My new kitten( well, he's a year old now), does show promise. He does actually chase and play with the roaches but he doesn't always kill them. And sometimes he expects me to knock them out first. There are still no mice in the house, but I don't see or hear as many geckos as before.

Many years ago when I was still in school, I had a fox terrier/spitz and she was very maternal toward my cat's kittens. One of the kittens slept with her in her doghouse and I only had one bowl of water for the dog and the cats. The cats taught the dog how to catch mice. I would get up to five presents a day, usually on my slippers. There was a stray cat with one eye who always hung around. I gave my dog five or six soup bones (I didn't know better then), and she placed them spread out around her. The stray cat would try to take one of her bones and she would move it and he would move in to take a different one. When she got frustrated she would whine. I finally had to come out and take all of the bones away. She was a runner, she almost flew. My uncle would bring his German shepherd puppy who was twice her size,( she weighed 15 lbs), over when he visited. He loved that dog so much he took him to work with him and the dog spent the day sitting on a block of ice. My dog would play with the shepherd and he would chase her around the house. She would pass him a couple of times and then jump in my lap (she was a lap dog).... and then came the shepherd who weighed over 30 lbs then and he jumped right on top of us and knocked me over. That dog did not bother me, but he could sense fear and he was a very dominant dog. When we would go over to my uncle's house, my brother had to sit perfectly still while the dog stared at him, until the dog walked away.

webmaster
Site Admin

We joke that our cat Skippy is a Bad Man disguised as a very cute cat and that all the cute things he does have sinister motives behind them. But he really is a harmless little cutey cat which makes it all the funnier when he enters a room and does something cute and one of us mutters, uh oh, watch out... here comes the bad man.

Anyway, the family was watching the BBC television serial of Little Dorrit and there was a scene where the Italian guy who was in prison with Andy Serkis' character Rigaud shouts out in terror about Rigaud, "HE'S A BAD MAN! HE'S A VERY BAD MAN!" The entire family almost fell off the couch laughing, we were in stitches because that's exactly what we always exclaim about Skippy. He's a bad man! A very bad man!

imafan26
Mod

People who claim to be dog lovers and say they don't like cats because they are not affectionate enough don't know what they are missing. Cats can be hilarious and be very affectionate. It is just that dog people expect cats to act like dogs and they do not. Dogs are pack animals. Cats generally live solitary lives. Even in colonies cats don't really like each other unless they are related.

Dogs being pack animals have to be near their pack, that is why people are not always the best thing for dogs especially when they don't have the time to spend with them or work long hours. Dogs get into trouble when they are not entertained and anxious dogs tear things up and howl all day trying to find out where the rest of the pack went. Sure they are happy to see their owners at the end of the day and jump all over them and people call that love. But, it is the way dogs are. Your neighbors may not be so enamored especially if they had to listen to the dog howling all day, or if you can't go anywhere without the dog whining or becoming anxious when you are out of sight. Neurotic dogs are not really happy dogs.

BTW my mom's dogs always barked when someone came near the door, sometimes they were slow and only noticed after someone actually got to the door and they would bark and wag their tails and one of my mom's dogs would get her toy to get someone to play with her. But, when I went to the house when my mom was out, the dogs did not make a sound, they didn't even bother to get off the couch. So, if you think your dog is a good watch dog because she barks at everyone when you are home. Have someone test the dog by going there when no one is there.

Cats are very different. They train their people to obey their every command. Who needs an alarm clock, my cat wakes me up at the same time every morning if the alarm goes off or not.

The bathroom has an open door policy, cats wait while I am in the shower or using the toilet and will scratch at the door if they are shut out. Would a dog tempt faith by swinging her tail under your rocking chair while you are rocking? Now, that is trust or just plain living dangerously.

Then there are the cats that will race me down the stairs and then lie in my path, and if I step on them because I can't see them over the laundry basket, then of course it is my fault.

When I am working on a project or doing something for a long time, the cat will patiently wait, but when it is 5:30 p.m. she will sit on my papers and insist it is her turn to get attention.

It isn't always for food. My cats will surround me while I am on the computer. One will be on the left lying on the floor, the other on the other side of the chair and the last will be just outside the door.

You can tell a cat really considers you family when they bring you presents or insists on sleeping against you, so you cannot move. The dominant cat will make sure she sleeps on top your head.

One of my former cats used to wait every day for my husband to come home. She would meow if he was late and claw the pet screen. As soon as she heard the car, she would walk away and pretend that she wasn't worried and take her time going to him to be taken outside to chew on the bamboo.

And finally, you know your cat likes you, when you stay out late or you go out when it is not part of a daily routine and the cats are waiting by the door, sniffing you to see where you have been and following you around to make sure you don't disappear again, or sometimes get that "where have you been" meow.

keal

We have an indoor cat, and all my co-workers and friends have dogs, so I have no one to share my stories with. So nice to know other gardeners have cat stories, all of them so true!

I set my alarm for 4am. At 3:45am, my cat will jump on our bed and start walking all over my stomach. If I don't get up, she'll step on my head and sit above it and start clawing my pillow. I have to give her food and turn on the radio.

I tried buying catnip, she doesn't care for it. I buy scratching posts, other cat toys, she doesn't like them. But the LOVES the cardboard boxes they come in! So, I just order stuff from Amazon.com, and let her have the boxes until trash day. She practically lives in the boxes. Don't try to take the boxes, they belong to her!

I grow bitter melon and often harvest the leaves for my salad. I bring them in the house, and before I can wash them, she's eaten a good portion of it. So much for catnip!

I thought I would buy grass seeds, the kind for kitty cats. I plant them in a pot, they grow outdoors for a week, I bring it in for kitty, and in less than a minute she pulls all the grass out by the roots with her teeth. Goodbye grass plant!

I finally find a happy medium. Lettuce! A small tray for $1.50, I plant them in a pot, they grow beautifully, and when I give the pot to kitty, she nibbles on the leaves a bit. Then she gives me a look, like, "Lettuce? Really?" she shoots me a look of disgust and it's then that I realize who the boss of the house is. Time to hit to garden shop again next week.

But there is no greater joy than to go out in the yard on the weekend, planting and pruning, seeing bees, ladybugs and dragonflies, and my cat watching through the window, little kids playing in the street and someone jogging by, waving at me saying, 'nice yard!'

Then I look at my cat and her eyes tell me, 'Yep, it's MY garden.'

Haha!

webmaster
Site Admin

But there is no greater joy than to go out in the yard on the weekend, planting and pruning, seeing bees, ladybugs and dragonflies, and my cat watching through the window, little kids playing in the street and someone jogging by, waving at me saying, 'nice yard!'

Then I look at my cat and her eyes tell me, 'Yep, it's MY garden.'

Haha!
No greater joy indeed! :)

imafan26
Mod

So true, cats are the boss. I tried cat grass too, the cats did not know what to do with it. However, they liked mint even more than catnip. The cat would curl on the top of the mint (planted in a coffee can) and stay there all day long until it died. You wouldn't think a 10 lb cat could even fit in the top of a coffee can.

Boxes are cheap cat toys and scratching posts. If I have soda boxes, the cats will hide inside it and ambush passers by. I would keep large appliance boxes and the cats would scratch the corner and I would keep fixing it until it was too tattered, then I would turn it to a new corner. The box would last quite a while that way. I use cardboard scratching posts now. All carpeted posts do is tell your cat that it is o.k. to scratch carpets.

When I am out in the garden, my cat watches me from the door and follows me around the yard going window to window. I have to keep my front door closed because my cat can open the screen door and she will come out to find me if I am out of her sight for too long.

applestar
Mod

LOL is it that cats do more story telling things that confound us? ...this thread doesn't have to be only about cats, you know. :wink:

I was going to tell a story about my dog, but then I remembered I'd already posted it in this thread: Subject: Dog stories. :D

imafan26
Mod

To give the dogs some credit, they do crazy things too. My dog used to like to eat my plants especially orchids and bromeliads. I had to fence off most of the benches from the dog. It was pet fencing and my dog could get through it if he really wanted to. It was mostly a training aid.

All he wanted to do was play all day long. When he wanted attention he would get one of my orchids. He especially liked the oncidiums and bring it to where I could see him with it then he would rip it apart just so I'd chase him.

When I would be picking up leaves in the yard. He would pull the ti leaves out of the bucket and poke me with it to play tug. He wasn't allowed to win tug since that is a dominance game and the vet said he couldn't play tug or have any more cow hoofs because he cracked his canine tooth, but try explaining that to a dog.

My sister gave me some bromeliads mounted on a piece of driftwood and my dog chewed it up. He chewed up every bromeliad he found. I thought I corralled all of remaining bromeliads and either moved them to the front yard or had them fenced in but he still managed to find more.

I opened up my folding tomato trellises and used them as a fence around the main vegetable garden. Again the fence would not really be a challenge for a 76 lb Irish setter mix. I put it up because he always liked to lay in the dirt right after I tilled it. The fence kept him out, until he figured out that if I could remove the fence to get in the garden, so could he.

Once or twice a week we would take him to the park. He would get so excited. He would get up to the back of the truck and then put his front paws on the bed and look back for my husband to lift him in. We got a dog ramp for him. As it turns out, we did not need it. We finally figured out the dog could have gotten in the truck on his own, he was just used to being lifted in. When we started driving up the street he would start barking to let everyone know he was going for a ride. We would stop at McDonald's sometimes afterwards and he sat very quietly in the truck and when we got to the window it sometimes scared the workers since they didn't expect to see such a big dog just appear. He loved hamburgers. At first, he didn't like the pickles, but after a while, he ate the pickles too. He would always sit in front of me when he saw me with the bag. He knows not to grab it. He would just sit quietly and drool on my shoes waiting for his burger, which would be his dinner.

I never let him stay in the back seat of the car because he would chew up anything he could find. He chewed up an umbrella and his portable water bowl. I did have him in a doggy seat belt but he would turn around get between the seats and come back sans seat belt. One day, I was on my way to the dog park and we were stopped at a light and a bus pulled up next to the car. It scared the dog so much that ever since then he would growl and bark at every bus or big truck that came near him.

At the dog park he had a strong prey drive and strong pack drive. He liked to chase the small dogs around the park and liked to dominate weak dogs. It usually meant that he had to stay on the long leash if there were a lot of dogs around. Even small dogs can hold their own if they are confident. But, there was this omega Siberian husky he just had to dominate every time. There were a few dogs he could play with since they did not mind rough play. He would always be in the pack chasing the smaller dogs, but when the small dogs left, then he was the small dog, and everyone started chasing him. There were three dogs, an American Staffordshire terrier, Rhodesian Ridgeback, and a terrier mix that would always catch and hump him, and they were all girls. One day my mom brought her dogs along. She had a small dog that was a mix of beagle, Pomeranian, and ?? The small dogs left and all the big dogs came around and stood around him, but he refused to run. Instead he went and sat closer to my mom.

He slept in the house in his crate at night and we used to leave the tv on for him for company. We tried a radio, but he associated that with us not being home, but we often had the tv on most of the day and would go in and out of the room all of the time so he knew we would be coming back. When he saw a dog on tv sometimes he'd bark at it. When it rained he would not want to go outside and I had to make him go outside to pee and then he'd come back as soon as he could. it was hard to catch him and wipe his feet before he tracked mud all over the floor.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

We had a cat chase one of the deer around they East lawn.

imafan26
Mod

I have seen cats chase dogs too.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yup. when I was fairly young, I remember seeing our overweight and half-blind orange tabby chase the neighbor's german shepherd across the front yard.

keal

It seems to me, that along with ladybugs and butterflies, cats and dogs are an essential part of gardening? Now that I think about it, any co-worker of mine who has a plant on their desk has a pet at home!

Would it be safe to say that if you meet an animal lover, that they would be potential candidates for developing a green thumb? I could really use a few friends on the weekend to help me grow my garden. I should start warming up to everyone at work with pets :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

mmm... dunno. I think most gardeners also like animals and probably have pets of some kind. But not sure that it goes the other way. I know a number of people that love their dogs, but don't think of ground as anything but something for the dog to poo on.

I don't know what it is about cats, but I think in households with a cat and a dog, the cat is frequently the "alpha male" (even when she is female). We have a 45 pound dog and a 12 pound cat. If the cat is on the stairs and the dog wants to go up, all she has to do is hiss a little and he can't go past her.

imafan26
Mod

I heard somewhere that people who keep cats are more likely to have dogs too, but not the other way around. In households that have both cats and dogs, the cat is usually the alpha. People can follow simple rules to make sure the pets understand the pecking order in the household. The cat always gets fed first, and always gets attention first and occupies the premium spots in the house. It had something to do with the way position is determined in an animal society. The alpha in the dog pack always gets the largest share of the kill and all of the other dogs in the pack are subservient to the alpha.

I think people who keep pets and garden have a nurturing nature anyway. I don't think so much that pet people would make good gardeners but it may work the other way around.

applestar
Mod

My first pets were fish, birds, and chipmunks. First non-caged pet was a dog.
When I lived in an apartment, they only allowed cats so I got this guy (looking so smart sitting on the dictionary :() )

...he WAS smart. He was my first cat and I didn't think anything was amiss when I trained him to play "fetch". He learned very quickly -- less than a week -- and favored crumpled up printer paper ball and milk jug cap rings and straps, but he would also fetch any of his toys when thrown.

He was an only cat so I gave him a toy stuffed tiger named "Tigger" to play with and keep him company while I was at work. But first time I washed it, I found out it had walnut shells as hard/heavy filling for its feet and it dripped brown liquid and stained. I didn't trust it to be safe for him so I bought him a new stuffed bear from the baby section labeled as "child safe" and "machine washable". So he would know that this will be his new companion, I also named the bear "Tigger" and played with the toy exactly as we did with the tiger. He caught on right away, and even though initially, it was a bit big for him, he used to carry it around everywhere, including hopping up on the bed with it at bedtime. I would say "Where's Tigger? Where's Tigger-bear?" and he would run around the apartment to find it where he left it and bring it to my feet. So we started playing a new hide-and-seek game in which *I* would hide Tigger. :D He had that toy bear the entire rest of his 18-1/2 year old life.

He learned to run to me when I whistled, and after we moved from the apartment to a house with a backyard and he was allowed outside on supervised outings, he would run back to the patio and jump up on the table to be flea combed when I whistled.

...ah, I miss him. O:)

catgrass
Green Thumb

I have both a cat and a dog. The cat came in as a small kitten, and my dashchund raised her, so I think the cat thinks she's a dog. I call my cat my "alarm cat", because she wakes me every day at the same time(sleeping in on weekends is not allowed). I did have a cat once that always wanted to sleep on my head. If I shoved him off my head, he'd get on my chest to sleep-He weighed 10 lbs! And he was HOT! All cats have different personalities. I have had many, and I love them all.

webmaster
Site Admin

Hey Apple that's an extraordinary cat. You were lucky to have him and for so long!
The alpha in the dog pack always gets the largest share of the kill and all of the other dogs in the pack are subservient to the alpha.
Thanks for the reminder! I have two cats and a dog, the dog being the youngest. Good to keep in mind!

imafan26
Mod

I just read an article about cats and dogs and how cats don't really care about anybody. However, their test was not well thought out. They pretty much did a test for stranger anxiety and separation anxiety.

Not a great test because it does not take into account that cats and dogs are different species and have very different social structures. Dogs are pack animals, cats are not. So, sure dogs will have more anxiety when they can't find their pack and cat would probably not go up to strangers nearly as much since they are not just predators but also prey animals.

But, my cat still likes to play with my feet and follow me around the house, even though she doesn't like to be picked up and it has nothing to do with food. The big eyes and ears are a give away that cats are nocturnal animals. That is why they sleep 17 hours of the day and like to run around at 3 a.m. You really should not try to test any cat in the middle of the day, they would rather be alone and sleep anyway.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I do not know who would write such a thing as dogs and cats don't care for anyone; they must not have had any pets or they would know better.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Can I say my cat cares about me? That's difficult. I can say she loves to sit in my lap and be petted and follows me around waiting for a chance to do so, then cuddles up next to me in bed at night. We also have "feral" cats that we feed and some of them also like to sit in laps and be petted, even when there is no food in sight.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have had cats that I am the one person they love more than anyone else. You can see it in there eyes when the look at you even.

applestar
Mod

Subject: W. Murcott Afourer Morocco mandarin seed-grown trees
imafan26 wrote:...cats and plants have not gotten on well together.

One of my former cats loved ornaments. I would come home find the ornaments on the bottom half of the tree gone or find the tree on the floor toppled over and my cat licking the resin off her paws which would make her sick.

Another cat, waited daily for her trip outside to eat the bamboo leaves. She also would eat plastic and cardboard and bread had to be kept in a container because she would chew a hole in the plastic wrapper because she liked the smell of the bread.

Any orchid, even a seedling brought in the house overnight would be found the next morning dug out of its pot. It did not matter where I put it, the cats would get to it and pull it out.

I planted a tray of cat grass for the cats. It was the only thing they totally ignored.
Haha. I'm about to give up and move my ginger tub with the browned foliage to off-limits-to-cats room upstairs because one or both of them keep using it to help upchuck hairballs :roll: ...and my overwintering lemongrass are kept out of their access.

They eat African violet blossoms as soon as they appear, but are otherwise satisfied with occasional vegetables -- they LOVE carrot peelings and frozen green beans for example.

We hang "child and kitty safe" ornaments on the bottom and hang the breakable ones on upper branches and that seems to work for us. They haven't tried to climb any of the trees. And they have been indoor cats since they were weaned, and maybe that's part of the behavior, but they don't generally try to dig in the plant containers.

What they DO is walk on the soil and compress them by crouching on the soil surface while using the pot as a watch posts for gazing out of the windows -- sometimes they somehow even fit themselves comfortably(?) around the planted tree and dose off in the sun -- so that despite the best nightly efforts of the resident earthworm(s) in each pot, they manage to thoroughly compress even the fluffiest potting mix with their little kitty paws :evil:

When they are extremely naughty, DH is allowed to squirt them with water :twisted: -- I even gave him one of my Gilmore professional plant sprayers which he keeps filled by his feet in the family room. They of course generally dash away as soon as he reaches for it. I use another, exactly same model sprayer to mist the plants every day, and they have the identical expression on their faces as they calmly sit on the windowsill, their eyes narrowed against the fine mist during the thorough misting process -- "So glad it's not us... But what did THEY DO?" :lol:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Applestar as a life long human subject of cats I thank you for the discussion.

Callie was a young stray from G's hunting camp. A beautiful. short hair calico. I was indulging in a tub soak with a book. Callie jumped onto the toilet and began circling the seat. After a few turns she placed her feet on the front and back and peed in the toilet. I laughed so hard I nearly drowned. I grabbed the phone and called Mom. Cool cucumber that she is Mom asked "Well did Callie flush?"

We have had several long lived cats. Patches - a stray adopted in 86' lived to 17 years old. She died from kidney failure. Bandit - a beautiful male tuxedo who suffered from obesity - died from heart failure at 10 years old. Callie - my lovely calico died at 19 years old from cancer. Patches - another adopted stray died at 22 years old from kidney failure.

We now have 2 young girls. Sallie Sue was 3 in September. She was abandoned in my sister's flower bed by a feral mom at 2 weeks old - bottle fed every 4 hours 24/7 for 6 weeks. She only weighed 3 1/2 ounces when she should have weighed 6 ounces. She has made up for the deprivation and is now an obese 20 lbs. I have talked to my Vet, I monitor her food intake, I make her play and exercise. She is still FAT!

Our younger cat is Daisy Faye (they are southern girls so they need 2 names) She will be 3 in March. She is a stunningly beautiful long hair calico, I did not a long hair but one look at her face and I was done. She was a farm cat and our friend said she was 6 weeks old and he was getting rid of the kittens one way or another. She was actually only 4 weeks old and needed some supplemental bottle feeding for a couple of weeks.

Sallie Sue is a sweet, lovable, cuddly girl. Daisy Faye is Crazy Daisy. She is a high energy cat and literally bounces of off the walls. She is also scary smart. She will fetch her toys and bring them to us for play. She opens bi-fold doors and any door that is not securely closed. She sits in front of the fire place and plays with fire. She manages not to get singed. She has this "look" that says watch out. She is fixing to get into mischief.

G's friends kid him about being a cat guy. He is a big old man's man - hunting, fishing, watching sports and hunting and fishing shows. He is a sucker for our girls.

Sallie Sue and Daisy Faye are indoor cats. Our previous cats were indoor/outdoor. We spent way too much on vet bills. Even though my animals are always spayed and neutered tom cats still attack my females. They end up with abscessed puncture wounds. We had to treat them monthly for parasites. They were subject to ear mites. Keeping them in is much better for them and us.

Every now and them one or the other will sneak out. Kind of funny. They will not leave the patio and will only stay out for a couple of minutes then scoot back inside.

Adore my girls! Thank you for talking about cats.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I, too, am a cat person. I also have a miniature, too fat, dashcund, that is supposed to belong to my son-long story, but I have him, along with just one cat, now. Itty Bitty was not supposed to stay with me-she was a stray that showed up at our office, but the person I was going to give her to never came and got her. I have had cats all my life, and they all have different personalities. I had 2 that were 15 & 13 years old that I had to put down about 6 years ago. One had kidney disease and the other had mouth cancer. They were indoor/outdoor cats and I hardly had to bring them to the vet except for yearly shots. Since then, 3 strays and 2 more that came from the pound, I only have Itty-and she thinks she's a dog. Peanut (the dog) raised her, and she acts more like a dog than a cat, although I have had PLENTY of birds, squirrels, mice, lizards, skinks and snakes come in the pet door with her; She brings them to the dog and turns them loose. When I hear her knocking around in the night, I KNOW she's brought something live in, and we have a party trying to catch whatever it is.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Catgrass, Your cat should be named Mischief. Sounds like my Daisy (Crazy) Faye. When she opens the bi-fold doors on the pantry and the laundry room she finds some thing that she does not like and knocks it off of the shelf. Crazy edited Cat. I love her to pieces. I scold her and tell her that if she were not so beautiful I would snatch her bald. She rolls her eyes at me. G laughs.

If I had a child I would never allow him/her to get away with the foolishness that my cats get away with. HMMMM think I am a certifiable cat nut.

Love my cats and love all cat lovers.

applestar
Mod

We have a low table that is positioned below the TV in front of the TV cabinet, and the kitties have claimed it as their spot. They often lay there watching us watching the TV above/behind them.

Once in a rare while, we catch them turned around and staring at the TV screen. Do they / can they see the flat LED screen? I was pretty sure they couldn't perceive what was on the old tube TV ...but then, I have this photo of my little sou-chef-in-training....
image.jpg
Well, DD's have reported that twice, one of the kitties was watching the opening scenes of an older Dr. Who episode and when the TARDIS came zooming out of the time vortex, she freaked out and ran away. :eek: :lol:

This one also likes watching car commercials (though like most, she does NOT like to ride in one).

Then yesterday, she was watching the opening scenes of a Merlin episode and when the camera zoomed in to Merlin's eyes glowing gold, she freaked and ran. :roll:

FWIW, they believe she likes David Tennant as Dr. Who but not Matt Smith. She hasn't decided about Peter Capaldi... Yet. :>

imafan26
Mod

My dog was afraid of the dark. We tried a radio when we went to work but that did not work. He associated the radio with us not being home. We do leave the tv on while going in and out of the room all the time. So, instead we left the tv on for him all night while he slept in his crate. He would bark at the dogs on the t.v. Eventually we did wean him to a night light. He got used to the idea if we went into the bedroom at night and he could see the hallway from his crate, that we were eventually going to reappear from the hallway in the morning.

When there were thunderstorms though, I would still sleep on the couch in the living room to keep him company.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

MarlinG some cats just do not know how small they are. The cat I had that chased deer tried to get a seagull when it was just a small kitten, the gull was twice her size.

applestar
Mod

This is not exactly amusing... But... Last night, one of the kitties caught another mouse that snuck in from the garage. It was after dinner, and they had been given a fair amount of scraps from everybody's steak... In fact they didn't finish it all.

My older daughter is in charge of appropriating the captured mice, dead or alive, from the cats and disposing of them, and I heard her exclaim: "NOOOO! DON'T PUT THE MOUSE NEXT TO THE STEAK!!!"

Apparently, the kitty thought she would save the mouse for later... right in her dish next to the steak bits she was planning to finish later, too. :roll:

Nightowls

With five cats, a dog, and a quaker there are plenty of stories I can tell but they'll have to wait till after I get some sleep. In the mean time, I caught this on tv tonight and I think that y'all will enjoy it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnVuqfXohxc :clap: sooo cute!!!!!!!! :clap:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Q. How many Boxers does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. It doesn't matter, they can find the ball in the dark.

imafan26
Mod

Naughty Tom!

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

When I got my Great Pyrenees dog, Cody, he ran into the screen door trying to get outside :D . My creek minnow Hannah would refuse to eat omnivorous food or fish flakes but she devoured the bloodworms. To this day, my family uses the phrase "like Hannah was omnivorous" to describe something dubious! She was a great, smart fish, and I miss her a lot. Electron, my betta fish, would go to his sleeping cave and poop only there :lol: ! My pet silverfish (which is a bug) likes to go into the corner and almost suffocate herself, I have to get her out every three hours :evil: !

applestar
Mod

This morning, I washed all my little seed zip bags, plastic fork, spork, and spoon-heads, and straws that I am using for seeds germination, put little straws inside the zip bags to help them drain and dry, and put them all on this cabinet by the window so they will get some light and sun.
image.jpg
This evening, I was planting 40 more little sprouted tomato seedlings, and organizing the newly sprouted ones and needed a straw. I looked around and remembered I'd washed a whole bunch this morning -- wait a minute ... WHERE ARE THEY? ...then remembered I'd put them on that cabinet on the old blue kitchen towel... But the cabinet top was bare. In fact I'd been USING that cabinet top to put stuff on.... So where did all my nicely washed stuff go????

Hmmm... Last I remember, one of the cats was laying there, looking out the window..... Oooooohhhh. So I looked down at the window bench butted up to the side of the cabinet, and sure enough! There they were -- the kitchen towel and the two containers obviously had been pushed off the cabinet to make room. :evil: :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

When I was a kid growing up in SoCal in the days before people had A/C in their homes (yes, it was not so long ago!), we always had the doors open with just the screen door closed. We had a little front entry hall from the front door. The cat loved to get a running start down the entry hall, leap up on to the screen about head height, and hang there by his claws, looking out at the world, as long as he could. Unfortunately, then my parents decided he needed to get de-clawed, because the furniture was getting clawed up. For months after that, the poor cat would do his run and leap and then slide down the screen, because he didn't have enough claws left to hang on with.

applestar
Mod

(I posted the quoted portion somewhere else, but a new discovery has made it impossible not to share the story here in this very appropriate thread :wink: )
image.jpg
posted Dec 3, 2015 at 8:22am
Cats will be cats. They eat all kinds of things you don't want them to, especially with their ability to get to high places and their irreverent tendency to NOT listen to their humans. They just wait until you are not in the room, and do whatever it is anyway.

Even if you have them live indoors all their life, they think they are asserting their "catlines" by hunting and foraging.

One of ours has a habit of finding crumbs in front of the couch and licking them up. In the process, she licks up and swallows OUR hair. My two DD's have long hair, one down to shoulder blades and the other to her waist. We are constantly pulling hair out of her gullet when we catch her with the end hanging from her mouth with an odd cross-eyed expression on her face.
-- I won't go into details about what happens when the long hair makes it through to the "other end" x_x --
I'm more concerned that some day a hair will tangle up and choke off her intestines... But hair falls out of our heads every day -- I won't bother to look up the statistics -- and I'm not diligently cleaning the floor for the cats' benefit and we are not all cutting our hair short either. So this will continue, B-|

The other one jumps up -- on the counter, the table, the stove, a book shelf even -- if someone leaves a plate of food or a bowl of chips. I've NEVER allowed them to walk on surfaces where our food goes. We've even adopted the water gun and water spray method and instantly spray at her. I even gave DH one of my three new Gilmour hand sprayers to use as his own (which he sometimes does with unseemly glee and enthusiasm >:D ). She recognizes our body language to reach for one and jumps off before you are properly aimed. She even jumps up on the stove to lick the pots while we are watching TV in the next room and we could see her if we looked in that direction. (I swear she waits until we are engrossed by the drama on TV)   She jumps up on the stove even though she has been burned more than once. Either she is very stupid, or very smart. O_o
...well...

It turns out that this very ordinary-looking orange tabby who dashes to you with enticing dancing chassé steps and enchanting expression on her face to charm you and greet you... who has a lovely plumed tail that she waves fetchingly as she strolls away... and who had me worried by snuffling around the floor in front of the couch and licking up our hair... HAD A SECRET AGENDA•MISSION, which she has flawlessly executed :shock:

DH's sprayer, which he kept by his feet under his TV table for the remotes, reading glasses and his iDevices... Has been sabotaged to the point that it SPRAYS SIDEWAYS from multiple holes in the side of the nozzle, and of course is incapacitated with correspondingly diminished frontward shooting distance. :?

-- I put it on this flashlight so you could easily see the holes --
Attachments
image.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Muy divertido! (Very funny! -I am brushing up my Spanish for the Mexico trip).

Is that one of those apps that turns your photo into a watercolor?

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”