tomf
Super Green Thumb

What fall chores do you have to do?

It is now time to do fall chores and the last of harvesting. What do you guys do to get winter ready in the yard and garden?
A few of the things I need to do are put away the things that are out side that I can, and cover the rest with tarps. It is time to till the garden, shut down and drain the outside water systems. I still have some firewood to gather up and as the woodshed is full cover it some place. Then there will be the raking, I will put the leaf rake on the tractor and rake up the lawns, I use the raked leafs as mulch. I still have some logs to deck from an are I thinned this year.

catgrass
Green Thumb

The only thing I consider a "Have to", is pulling the dead or dying plants and dispose of them. Most of the time I just pile them in the garden, add the raked leaves to them and burn them. Some I compost, but most I don't.

imafan26
Mod

I have to try to pick up some of the loose pots lying around before TS Ana passes by. I always miss a few and they go rolling around the yard. I have cut my trees and moved some orchids from the plumeria closer to the trunk so the branches won't break and moved some other stuff from high up to the ground. I don't have a lot of storage space so there is a lot that I don't know what to do with and I have to find a way to try to keep the wind from coming into the patio. It isn't easy, it always breaks my screen there.

I have planted one bed in the community garden and the trees there are pruned regularly so they are under 8 ft tall. They have been through storms before and will probably drop more fruit but the trees shouldn't lose too many branches. The neighbor's bananas may drop into my plot again though.

I have planted my main garden at home and waiting for the seeds to sprout. I see a few weeds still coming up. I will over plant the bare spots. I am slowing down on planting seeds for the monthly sale since there are no plant sales in December or January. I will still take cuttings from bay leaves, rosemary and lavender since they can stay in the cutting box for a while and bay leaves take 5 months to root anyway.

I always have weeds and now that it is raining, I have to weed whack again. I can hear the weeds calling me now.

I always have weeds to pull year round and I need to clean out my orchid benches. Which means there will be more pots to clean and store. I constantly need to clean out my potted plants, and that is a year round chore. There is a corner in my yard that is over run with weeds and a desert honeysuckle vine that keeps invading my yard from the neighbor. It is going halfway across my yard now. Pulling it does not help it makes long runners and roots along the way. It has even run under my weed block. I am going to have to resort to round up on that one. I may lose a rose or two in the process.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

The vegetable garden has been cleared and cleaned up. All the newsprint and straw mulch has been tilled to add organics to the soil for next year. A little nitrogen fertilizer has been added to help with the mulch breakdown. The raised bed herb gardens are still going strong since we have not had a frost yet. All the container plants are being prepped to bring inside at the first hint of frost.

As soon as frost arrives the lawn mower will come out and remove the leaves of the perennials except those that we leave up for the birds and for winter interest in the landscape.

All the fruit trees are getting watered in so they make it through the dry winter months. Also the shrubs get watered. Although I like to overseed lawn turn in the spring, there are a few spots in the yard that had to be tilled this fall, so grass seed was put down and needs to be watered every day until it all sprouts. It has been a couple of weeks since the lawn has been mowed and I don't think it will get another mowing until spring.

We have winter here so the snowblower needs to be prepared just in case we get snow....haven't missed snow for maybe a thousand years so it needs to be done.

Maybe all the raised beds will get torn out so a nice greenhouse can go in that place. Now all I have to do is convince my wife of the change.

pow wow

I had to make room in my backyard for my sun loving plants next spring. They tore down the house beside me and will be building a tall two story duplex and the sun will be gone on my south side of the house. I worked years on that flower bed and my toms loved it along the house.

Old flower bed on my south side the past two summers and my new bed for them next spring

catgrass
Green Thumb

That is all so beautiful!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The year's precipitation is just a half inch below normal. It isn't all that much since "normal" is semi-arid but the evergreens were beginning to go up in flames after last winter's serious deficit of moisture.

Yesterday was the 2nd day with an afternoon high in the 70's! This is about IT the weather service tells us. Nothing in the future within 10 degrees of that mark. My gardens have been hit repeatedly by light frosts for right at 6 weeks. Still, I picked quite a few cherry tomatoes, yesterday! A sheet of ice from the sprinklers on the coldest night just means that there is quite a bit of frost damage but few of the plants are actually dead! (Nothing is growing but the tomatoes are still ripening. :)

I was out with the tiller killing weeds in the paths. I see little reason to keep the gardens going and have discombobilated all irrigation. There is lots of clean-up and I hope snow doesn't come before I can feel enuf has been done to bring a curtain down on the year!

I've gotten things ready to grow or "maintain" in the greenhouse over the winter. Benches were moved out Sunday and the ground cultivated. I don't have anything to move in!! The weather has been so warm that the Asian greens have all gone for food rather than transplanting into the greenhouse. I've started more seed but those plants need another 10 days or so, before they can be moved out of their container. I got seed directly into the ground in there, choy sum, komatsuma and mustard greens (Southern Curled). I should be able to make it to the garden center today for bok choy seed. Better pick it up early, I'll be dirty later from cleaning a bed or 2 in the little veggie garden and burying frost killed/damaged plants there.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Planting garlic and shallots in a couple weeks is the main chore that comes to mind, but there are many more in the meantime. I have to trim my lime and curry trees way back, to bring indoors soon. I also have to cover my greens with hoops and plastic (some of these actually grow through the winter here!). And when it seems that heavy frost or freeze is eminent, pull all of the full sized peppers from all of those plants, and pull up the lemongrass. Then, of course, there is all of that cleanup!

applestar
Mod

Out there in the garden still -- I have last of the beans hopefully drying and not molding on the trellises and some bush beans maturing for seeds to harvest and bring in, but moreover, I still have peanuts to dig and harvest (not a lot, only enough for seed but if I don't get any, I'm out), last handful of green tomatoes that didn't get picked including Cherokee Lime and Faelan's First Snow, one last still immature Thai Kang Kob pumpkin, ALL my lemongrass (3 big clumps) and at least 4 more pepper plants that I wanted to dig up to overwinter.... The okra and eggplant that I hoped to mature and harvest for seeds. I had meant to put up a low tunnel over the Haybale Row broccoli and Patioside Garden Walla Walla onion seedlings, garlic, and shallots. My vermicomposter is still outside and should have been brought into the garage.... SO MUCH FALL TASKS STILL TO DO!

I did bring almost all of my container plants in -- I think (I hope!) only ones still out on the patio that need to come inside are rosemary, pomegranates, mints, and celery.... Oh! A hanging pot! By the arch trellis! :o (I won't mind if the plants in it dies/is dead, but I need the pot)

I fully expected a freeze last night despite the forecasts of mid-30's, but it looks like we are good for now, I hope I can get out there and get at least some of these things done. I'd better prioritize just in case....

After all of that, I still have the fall cleanup to do, but harvesting and keeping what needs to be kept alive definitely takes precedence.

imafan26
Mod

I have to get to the weeds that are overtaking my yard. It is the rainy season and when it does rain all of the weeds just go for it. I cut the lemon grass yesterday that was about 9-10 ft tall and put out more slug bait. I haven't seen many slugs but I find African snails everyday. I already headed off the bilimbi and the Indian curry tree for Ana so that is done. The snails have been eating just about everything I put in the veggie garden so I have to replant it again. I did start more pots, hopefully, all the bait I put around the bench will help to keep them off.

I have orchids to repot and some to send to the graveyard, I need to work on the weedy bleeding heart vine and prune the roses, euphorbia cotonifolia and rhapsiolepsis indica. I need to cut more of the ti down, they are getting too tall and now that it is cooler, hopefully I can cut them down and not burn the plants under them. The plumeria still has leaves, so I can wait until they drop and it is always a nightmare to get the weeds growing behind and under them. I have weedy trees there that are really hard to kill. And when I have room in my can, I need to cut another McArthur palm down.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The dahlia roots are going downstairs. They are all out of the gardens. All those dug have been washed and last year's roots have been removed. Some have been packed in peat moss and carried down to the basement.

Back in the dahlia garden, I have windrows of the cut plants! I will dig out a bed in the little veggie garden next door and bury those things when I get a break from the rain and the root storage chores. I hope the soil isn't too wet and heavy by then.

The celery root (celeriac), parsnips and carrots need to come home. They can go in a pit in a bed close to the back door. As tight as I can get them and covered with soil and then covered with pine needles. That should protect them from freezing. I need to time this right because one year I did it too early and a mouse moved into this comfortable home with all the goodies! Real cold weather will put a stop to Mr. Mouse's travels but I have to get these roots into buckets and the garage before they freeze in the garden. Don't want them just sitting around very long tho' - will be watching the weather forecasts ...

The leeks have to come home and take up residence in a crisper drawer. There should be a little more kale to harvest ...

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is kind of nice that you have a larder for cold storage right in the yard. But, since I don't have to protect anything from freezing, I think I am still coming out ahead. Here most homes are slab on ground, no root cellar. Hey no cellar and the attic is a crawl space, so not that either. Nothing stores in the ground well. Carrots will last longer in colder climates but they just get woody here and the same with beets. Right now though it is cool enough to start snow peas, beets, broccoli, kale, and cilantro. I just planted more garlic and red onions and am trying for the third time to get the Texas granex started. Some daikon survived the snails. The sweet basil is looking like it is getting downy mildew again. It was looking good for awhile. Now, I will have to trash them all. The holy basil is unfazed by downy mildew, but it is hot and has a bit of camphor so not a good substitute. My black cherry tomato is growing over the top of the cage and it is flowering and putting on fruit. I got one barely blushed that the birds had not got to yet. Sungold has a couple of fruit but the vine is sort a wimpy. I may have to feed that one again. Jicama is in bloom and the pods are starting to fill. Anybody know when I should harvest te root. I have grown jicama before but never have gotten a sizeable root and this is the first time I have waited until it put on pods. I pulled the peanuts out of the ground, they were already growing fungi. Now, I have to see what I can put in its place.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Garlic and shallots go in tomorrow! I 'tilled the row today, and pulled out all of the tomatoes, eggplants, and peppers in the rows next to it (I have 6 trash cans full of garden trash, for Fri.), and laid the T-tape down the center of the double row where the garlic will be. The next couple of days I will be taking down my upside-down tomato buckets, with the help of a friend - I told him I want to do that before we get that 2" of rain Thurs.

Those beans out there are not drying very well...not sure if I will get them all as beans, or compost. It was still too windy to uncover my greens, though they are pushing up the cover considerably! Maybe tomorrow...

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”