tomf
Super Green Thumb

Forest fire near our home!!!!!!!

Some dumb A’s started a forest fire about 15 miles from our house; they were target practicing according to the news. How that started it I don't know. It spread to 1000 acres or more, I don't know about how big it is now. These are some photos I took from our yard today; you can see the red sun, and the smoke line.

The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

applestar
Mod

Re: Forest fire near our home!!!!!!!

Hope you and your neighbors stay safe, and they get the fire under control quickly.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings Tom, You're closer then we are, there's a fire in Pollock Pines about 50 miles from here. Good luck, if there are certain trees that may threaten your house, you may want to keep a chainsaw handy.
Couple years back a forest fire got within 3mi from here, I dropped several trees, thank God the wind was in our favor.

Richard

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I will not make it here, but it has spread to 3200 acres.
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

catgrass
Green Thumb

That is scary. Hope you & yours stay safe!
zone 9 Southwest La.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It is now 3600 acres and they may not control it until October, it ha been hot and dry this summer, it has been in the 90's the last few days. This was from yesterday.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It turns out they were shooting at propane tanks in dry brush, now if that is not smart what is?

applestar
Mod

:x Do they get charged with arson etc. and take responsibility for what they did? How old were they?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

There is not much information on who they were, but people who were there got the license plate number of the car that the folks who started the fire were in, so it is a matter of time.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Tom - Dumb A's is much too kind. Hope they are apprehended soon. Of course their penalty will not repair the damage they have done.

Be safe.
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

valley
Greener Thumb

Tom, How's that fire looking now, closer to being contained? We have one below us, the King Fire in California. The valley here is filled with smoke. It's still a ways off. Helicoptors are coming up here for water for the fire. Up to 74,000 acres so far.

Richard

valley
Greener Thumb

Tom, Is there any danger to your home at this time?

Richard

tomf
Super Green Thumb

It is not to close to our house, but the smoke is bad. We are at the coast this weekend, and out of the smoke.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday helicopters carrying big bag buckets were flying over the house. It is raining today so hopefully this will help a lot. The fire is just up from where this photo was taken.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”