tomf
Super Green Thumb

Re: Growing my own heat.

It sounds like you have done some logging, or wood cutting Eric, do you heat with wood?
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tom,
I do not heat with wood but my brother next door does. Here's a dump cart we built. It rolls on a 15" gauge rail. The corner you see is a wood fired boiler that heats his house. In floor water heating.
I'm doing some repair work. He drives over to access his greenhouse and compost pile.

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That is way cool! Love the mine car.
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

We used this car on a landscape job in town. We built a temporary incline railroad. I will email the brother and see if he can email back some photos.

Eric

applestar
Mod

Are you saying there's a little RR track between your two farms? :D
How do you "drive" the car?
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Are you saying there's a little RR track between your two farms? :D
How do you "drive" the car?
Apple that's the big dream scheme, but No.

Currently he has two parallel tracks in his shop floor. They go out the back to a turntable. From the turntable, one line goes pass the greenhouse / chicken yard / compost pile / plant nursery down to the boiler. We recently moved this rail slightly down hill so we could continue the grade pass the boiler to the back of their house. This rail will continue down to his vegetable garden and second chicken yard. On this same line, from the turntable, you can go the opposite direction through the firewood shed / propagation house / lumber drying / shadehouse. Most of the grade is around 1 to 2% but we will push it to 3% if need be. I think we have enough material to install another 200Ft of rail.

No locomotive or mules at this time. It gravitates towards the boiler and we push on the return.

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Eric with your skills you could build a small locomotive out of a riding mower to pull it.
One summer as a kid I found a set of train wheels ( 4 wheels that were a swivel) in a creek near an abandoned amusement park. A friend and I pushed it home.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

4 flanged wheels together sounds like a "truck".

My brother and I, over Sunday sourdough pancakes, have discussed many different ideas. I think we have decided on a double ended locomotive that one would stand in. Fairly low to the ground so easily step in and out of. Not sure if he has decided on electric vs gas

Still waiting on pictures

Eric

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”