tomc
Super Green Thumb

Edit

Seems the edit feature is gone again. I'll correct my own typos when I notice them (and can by editing).

If I am forbiden, then somebody else can edit them.

LA47
Green Thumb

I just edited one of my posts. :?:

webmaster
Site Admin

The edit function is still there. You just can't edit a post from the day before or a month before the way you used to. Most forums allow you 15 minutes to edit a post. Our forum gives significantly more than that. What's a reasonable amount of time for editing?

SOB
Green Thumb

I could see allowing someone to edit a day or so after it was posted. I have ran into an instance where I was the first to reply to a new topic and accidentally got my facts mixed up. Someone corrected me and since I didnt want contradictory info and confusion to anyone reading (or worse yet skimming) the thread I went back and edited my post.

Just my 2 cents...

webmaster
Site Admin

Someone corrected me... I went back and edited my post.
Editing a post before another member has responded to it is always fine. Editing a post after a response has been made almost always introduces confusion. Discussions are also called threads because a topic is grouped together in what used to be called a threaded discussion. The first post leads to the second post which leads to the third post in an orderly progression of thoughts and opinions. Go back and edit one of the previous posts and the order and the logic is disrupted.

Editing a post after a response to it has been made by another member confuses the continuity of the discussion. Someone reading it will see your post, then a rebuttal of your post, then be confused as to whether your (now edited and correct) post is correct. Best case scenario, the post by the one who corrected your post no longer has a context and is out of place. Which again ruins the continuity of the discussion.

It makes more sense if you returned, acknowledged your error and posted an affirmation of the correct answer.

On other forums where I make a post with a mistake in it, even a misspelling, if too much time has gone by I simply PM a mod to fix it for me. As long as no one has responded to a post then the edit makes sense, even if a mod is making it. Once a response has been made, except for a quibble like spelling, it is almost always better to make a follow up post to clear up a mistake.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I find it better to just not read my own posts. I am also suspicious of anyone who does.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

one age old well worn time proven guideline is:

you can edit until someone/anyone else has read the message.

and it is a sound, but imperfect, rationale.

example (really stupid one . . .)
the posts says: 2+2=5

so then somebody reads that post and objects to the math.

so, with "edit enabled forever" the original poster innocently corrects the (hopefully?) typo.

but of course, once the original message thenceforth reads:
2+2=4,
the responses don't make any sense.

if you can come up with a software algorithm that allows for "correct typos" vs "alter content" - that would be neat!

SOB
Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:Editing a post after a response to it has been made by another member confuses the continuity of the discussion.
In my case I clearly stated that I provided incorrect information and to read the following post. I think it would have been MUCH more confusing to have conflicting advice in the same thread where one is clearly wrong. I could have relplied to the thread and stated that I was wrong but what about the casual browsers that skim until they find what they think is good info? They may see my advice and stop reading all together.

Just my two cents...do what you want. You're the webmaster after all! :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In our previous world, I was always bumping in to typos in my old posts and cleaning them up. (I often look back at old stuff or search old stuff to link to.)

I'm not likely to bother mods to ask them to clean up typos, so you may just have to get used to seeing more of them...

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I post on three boards that have different editing options. One Investor Village gives unlimited editing for its premium members. Silicon Investor only gives 15 minutes. And of course Helpful Gardener gives up to one day.

I must say that I like the Investor Village option the best, and have never noticed any undue confusion. Board etiquette would have the person reflect (edit) in the title or body if an edit may cause context related confusion. I'm for giving users the most flexibility possible, and unlimited editing and deleting of one's own content would fall into that category.

Edit [removed comments which were dated and no longer relevant]
Last edited by hendi_alex on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

See how handy that edit feature is. What if I had signed out, and didn't visit the board again until tomorrow. Even at that time, it would have been useful to edit out my overly harsh, outdated criticism that was posted above and has been edited out.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”