Beecmcneil
Cool Member

oh thank heaven.

Its been a while since I've been on.
but I had to tell the world.
I just landed a job with a company called conco!
I'm gonna be slingin rebar!
Hard work. but I got s baby on the way and I gotta bring in some money!

Beecmcneil
Cool Member

Thank got Jesus! 0:)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I had a friend back in the mid 70's that worked for a large construction company that took on many of the road and major building infrastructure building projects. He was a rod bender and handled rebar all day long making up the grids to be set before concrete was poured.

That guy had arms that would make Popeye blush. I'm sure it's gotten a bit more mechanical 40 years later, but still hard work out in the elements.

But with a new mouth to feed on the way, you gotta do what you gotta do. Congrats on the upcoming arrival and the new job.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Probably my most difficult job as a young guy was working for a company that built basements & foundations. After a couple days, I could hardly pick up my lunchbox when I went home . . .

It was a relief when the concrete block company offered me a job - stacking blocks! Then, after 4 hours, I worked in the block plant cleaning the mixer. The guy that proceeded me worked a day and a half, total. When it came time to clean the mixer, he quit. Again, it was all I could do to hold onto the hand tools to clean that big mixer. I got better and came to think of the block stacking as my vacation time . . .

It paid well or they never would have held on to anybody. I went on that fall to a 12 month a year job - & went to college hoping to learn to pilot a desk.

Steve

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Congrats on both the job and the new addition to your family. Your life will never be the same again. If the baby is a girl you are done for. She will have you wrapped around that little, bitty finger within minutes of birth. I absolutely love to watch the transfermation of men once they have a daughter.

Good luck friend.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Good for you, with a kid on the way you need a good income.

My dad was in charge of a construction crew or two at times, I started working construction at the age of 14. We put up buildings and I climbed around steel to put forms up over them. I tied up a lot of rebar. It was hard work but I made good money for a kid and I learned a lot about building every thing from buildings to houses. So I know what you are in for, just be safe and learn how to lift so as not to hurt your back.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”